Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

A conundrum for you

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 11:22 AM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool A conundrum for you

I am having a major problem here.. I think I want a Hemi. Gasp!! Anyway, I really like the power of the hemi, but am concerned not only with the tranny problems, but the fact that I cannot get one anyway.(my uncle works for a dealership, and thats the only way I can afford anything!! ) I was interrested in the 5.4 reg cab, but it looks like a STX with a 4.6 is in my future. i am totally bummed about the performance I am always hearing about these trucks. I would like to know, is it in my best interrest to get the 4.6 and survive, or go for the 5.4 and roll pennies for groceries? MPG is a consideration here as well. Will I be having Hemi dreams or Triton nightmares?? BTW I love the new Fords so much more than the Dodge anyway.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:37 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
So.... buy the Ford....that was easy, anymore questions I can answer

Old 03-26-2005, 04:56 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
I know, I dont have a choice. but what I wanted to know is if the 4.6 and 5.4 are dissappointing in the regular cab to the point that I would regret the purchase.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:32 PM
bdjupiter
Elder User
I would get the 5.4, I really don't think you would regret it at all. I really don't know about the mileage though, maybe someone could chime in with some numbers for you.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:38 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the "old" 5.4 (230/260 hp? something liek that.. ) in an extended cab and i'm happy with the power, although i'm coming off a 3.0l ranger so that might have a little to do with it, but i think it would be pretty quick in a standard cab, especially with the new 3valve heads.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:21 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Get the 5.4 , a truck that heavy, even if reg. cab, the 5.4 will have an easier time moving it around, the mileage will not be a factor at all. Performance upgrades will bring the 5.4 beyond a "hemi" in the performance dept. Good luck with your new truck.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:16 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
it's weird. i have a friend at school that has a hemi and he says the thing is SLOW. obviously it's so slow, he is COMPLETELY convinced (believe me, i've tried to tell him otherwise )that the HEMI was built to be a towing engine and not a racing engine. A TOWING ENGINE! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!?! it certainly isn't a towing engine anyways. and by the way he talks, it's not a racing engine either. just his opinion, not mine.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:16 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
I have a regular cab 4X4 XLT with the 5.4. It has the same fuel mileage rating as the 4.6 and it actually uses less gas than my cousin's 4.6. The truck has plenty of power and pulls my travel trailer great. I got the 5.4 regular cab with 3.73 rear because it is the lightest setup with the largest engine and lowest gears available without going to the heavy duty truck. Very nice truck.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:22 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Frost13
it's weird. i have a friend at school that has a hemi and he says the thing is SLOW. obviously it's so slow, he is COMPLETELY convinced (believe me, i've tried to tell him otherwise )that the HEMI was built to be a towing engine and not a racing engine. A TOWING ENGINE! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!?! it certainly isn't a towing engine anyways. and by the way he talks, it's not a racing engine either. just his opinion, not mine.
Ok, I'm laughing now. Towing engine It's not that fast. My 5.4 ran with a hemi all the way up to 60 mph when I let off.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:20 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
"i am totally bummed about the performance I am always hearing about these trucks."

Go drive them and answer that for yourself-way to subjective to rely on others opinions.

If you'll be pinching pennies to step-up to the 5.4 then maybe a new truck isn't your best option at all. Been there, done that, seemed like a good idea at the time-it wasn't.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:51 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was back in 97' when I had to bring in my 95' F-350, PSD for the dang dual-mass flywheel blurp ,,Grrrrrrr,,, anyway I got to drive a 97' F-150 4x4, s-cab,,,it was a 5-speed,,4.6 engine,,,,,I was really impressed how this truck ran,,,it sounded great,,,shifted good,,and for a 4.6 engine,,I thought it was quick. I assume the 5-speed standard was a good reason for this,,it was one of those 3 door models though.

Go drive one,,prob have the auto in it though,,see how they run !

Old 03-27-2005, 11:16 AM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
Originally Posted by tdister
"i am totally bummed about the performance I am always hearing about these trucks."

Go drive them and answer that for yourself-way to subjective to rely on others opinions.

If you'll be pinching pennies to step-up to the 5.4 then maybe a new truck isn't your best option at all. Been there, done that, seemed like a good idea at the time-it wasn't.
Thats the problem. I drove a 4.6 regular cab and it felt like it was slower than my truck now! I have a crapolet with the 4.3 V6. I cant understand why, but my friends 2000 FX4 5.4 feels slower than my truck as well. I dont beleive that the 32" tires and the stock 3.35 rear(wich works out to be a staggering 2.2 something rear ratio ) but it seems to have superior acceleration to both trucks! I just guess I got to drive a bummed one. The only reason I am getting a truck is because I cant fit my wide rear in a car very well.

Old 03-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Tony1790
Senior User
JohnnyBoy,

Have you side by side compared the f150 and f250 price wise and payment wise? Because it sounds like price and power are what you are after, but often they don't come in the same package. The F250 with a V10 sounds like it would fit your power requirements better. And you are right the new style f150 with the 4.6 is a "dog". I test drove one and it felt like I was dragging an anchor behind me, very sluggish....but then again I drive a V10 everyday.

Good luck with your purchase decision, and as said previously make sure that you can afford it. No sense in having the repo man visit you after 6 months.

Take Care.

Tony

Old 03-27-2005, 05:02 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
I am purchasing with cash, so payments are not a problem(thank god) but power is. I would love to have a '250 but the ones I have priced and the fact that I live in the middle of the "concrete Jungle" known as Dallas TX, I need something a little bit more maneuverable. If they still made reg cabs with the shortbed, then mabye, but I have only once needed a longbed in the many years that i have had a truck and have never needed one again. It's a thought, though.....

Old 03-27-2005, 05:05 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
I just posted the pictures of my CC SWB .....it fits in my garage and is maneuverable

Quick Reply: A conundrum for you