Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

302 2 brrl carb recommendations needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 01:11 AM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 2 brrl carb recommendations needed

gotta do something to help battle these gas prices and short of whooping somebody for being damn greedy, i'm left with trying to get a new carb. any recommendations for my 79 f100 stock 302 with a 2 brrl motorcraft. it needs replacing anyway but i might as well get something better while i'm at it right? i posted in the carb forum but i thought i'd ask y'all too...

com'on TX

Old 03-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Max1775
Elder User
Ever considered propane? It is cheaper than gas, although you lose a little hp and mileage, but I think you get a tax break for using alternative fuels. On the other hand, a new intake and 4 barrel Edelbrock would be sweet. Maybe even a fuel injection set-up? More money, but more hp and mileage! I'd be happy to help ya spend a paycheck or ten, lol!

Max

Old 03-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Txquadhunter24
Elder User
Sometimes a good 4bbl swap will pick up in mileage. But ya gotta keep your foot out of it. it's hard to do at first when playing with added goodies.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:07 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

my dad runs his 75 3/4 ton chevy on propane with a switch to run it on gas if he needs to or gets too low to run it on propane or start it on a cold morning with gas and switch to propane... i HATE that truck. it stinks! and he doesn't have a leak anywhere apparently but something reaks!

check out my gallery and you'll see my truck. i think you'd have to pay me quite a big bunch of money to convince me to switch her over to propane. right now my 79 is still original, except for a rebuild on the original motor shortly before i bought it and a rebuild on the c6 shortly after i bought it. i dont wanna go drastic cuz i like the fact that it's pretty much the same as it was when it came out. and the carb on it isn't a total loss, and i'd be keeping it anyway more than likely as a backup in case something monster serious happens to the new one, but it's just not practical to keep it the way it sux gas thinking it's free. dad thinks the ..something .. is cracked and letting the gas either evaporate out where you have to pump it up every morning or letting it drip down into the intake where you have to pump up the carb to get it running in the morning or something.. i'm not sure .. but i do know i have to pump it like 10 times before i even think about turning the key after it's been setting for more than 10 hrs or so (6 or less if it's cooold) ... and the choke thing and this and that and bla bla bla... so i'm going for a new one .. i'm thinking 4 brrl but not too seriously yet .. i'm not convinced i wanna go thru the mess and hassle of doing the new intake thing ... i mean sure i'd get to crack into my engine but it hasn't been cracked into seriously since i bought it and i dont wanna potentionally screw up a good thing ya know... guess i'm leary cuz it's been runnig so good except for the whole pump it up like it hasn't been started in a week or two ...

anyway, thanks for the suggestions and i'm looking at an edelbrock right now, but i haven't decided anything ..