1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

engine idle running

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 09:49 AM
zmarkz01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine idle running

I have replaced most of the parts for the new rebuilt engine including the main electronic brain under the passenger dash, the fuel injectors, the throttle control valve, and may other electronic sensors on the van. It has a problem with the hot restart of the van. if the van gets up to running temperture and is turned off (like to get gas, of go into a strore) and you come back after a short period of time and try to restart it dosent want to restart easily. if you touch the gas peddle the problem is magnified and large billows of gas and rough engine running is observed. untill the billows of gas clouds reside to a small amout and the engine smooths out, the van will not be able to get to speed and the engine will die. this presist untill i get the clouds of gas almost gone and quickly through it into drive and chug up to speed. then no more problems untill i need to stop again.
if you dont touch the gas the engine will not restart at all.
the best results from any repair was when i change the throttle air intake sensor and it help keep it from doing as often.
cold weather helps and allows for quicker restarts but we are going into summer.
any ideas on what to check???

Old 03-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked codes? Is it running very rich? Strong smeel of gas at idle?

One thing you can check the fuel pressure regulator. It's on the rear, drivers side, top of the engine under the dog house. Remove the vacum hose when engine is cool, place a rag over the vacum port on the regulator and crank the engine. If gas shoots out of the vacum port the regulator'd diaphram is bad. Replace the regulator.

The Idle Air Controller may be at fault also, but the fuel pressure regulator is an easy first check. Be carefull doing it because if it is bad it will squirt gas out the top so be prepared to quickly turn the engine off. You can also check it with a fuel pressure gauge if you have one.

Gene