Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Brand Advantages

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Megalodon1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand Advantages

Ok, guys, how about a thread where we can simply list the advantages of any current brand offerings which appeal to us enough that we would buy it.
Simply state what you like most about a particular brand. No bashing (or even mention of other brands) is necessary.

This is a Ford site, but being the competition forum there are many open minded people here (as well as some trolls), and the Ford vs C forum allows us alot more room for expression regarding other brands. Everyone should feel relaxed and free to speak their mind regarding whatever floats their boat in their preferred make.

I'm going against my own grain a bit here, but I'm personally not going to mention Dodge or GM in my list, since I'm only looking to state what I find compelling regarding Ford. By taking up for Ford, I'm not saying that I prefer Ford exclusively at all. It's just fun to argue (meaning discuss) from both sides of fence occasionally.

Here's what I like about Ford ( Super Duty).

1.) The Super Duty is physically the largest pickup truck on the road - to me size matters.

2.) The 05' update - badly needed. The 99'-04's are handsome trucks, but they are also tiring to look at sometimes, the newer grill/headlight style gives just enough aggression to an already handsome truck IMO.

3.) 05' frame. I love the idea of having a Super Duty 250 or 350 pickup with an F550 frame. I was recently looking at the frame rails and configurations of an 05' compared to an 04' - it's completely different in most regards and is definately beefier in all areas.

4.) Suspension - again many parts out of an F550 - how can you go wrong with this? You can't. The rear spring set up is better also - Ford's variable GVWR system is'int simply a matter of picking a number and placing it on the vin sticker - everything is stronger - gotta love that, especially when you consider how strong the F series was to begin with. Also the rear auxilliary spring seems better thought out than in previous models. It looks like it will engage within 1 1/2" inches of bed height drop - as opposed to 3" inches on older models.

5.) 3640lb load range E tires mounted on 18" rims, makes the choice of a SRW more appealing and practical for those who haul heavy loads and would rather not go to a DRW. Though a dually is still best for exclusive use as a hauler, at least theres more margin built in for SRW guys.

6.) 3 Valve V10. I don't think this motor gets near enough recognition or appreciation. The macho image of a diesel goes a long way toward this IMO.
I think this is probably the best gasoline motor available currently for general heavy duty use. It will spin high, but dos'ent necessarily need to. Diesel performance in a gasser is what is it - then you get the high RPM uses from it as well....aka gunning down a hemi. At current diesel fuel prices, I think the BIG10 will be making a stronger showing - I'd definately consider it in place of a diesel, if I'm driving less than 20K per year - can't say I'd consider anyone elses gasser though - again IMO.

7.) Manual locking hubs on 4x4. Means less front end wear when not needed.
Also better MPG.

There are more, but for now this will do - these are the big points for me personally - lets hear some discussion guys! Have fun.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:25 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
No bashing (or even mention of other brands) is necessary.

I'll go for that!

Old 03-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
I am going to go with the new 300 from Chrysler.

This car is in a league of Its own right now. Good looks, solid power, awsome price, RWD....ect. An all around nice car. This car is to sedans what F-350s are to heavy duty pickups. I will give a briefe summary to support my choice.

1) Good looks- This car looks stunning, and stands out in a croud. Definately hard to miss. I really like the bold styling. The design team at Chrysler did a fantastic job on this car.

2) Solid power- With a 3.5 V6, or 5.7 Hemi V8 available this car lacks nothing when it comes to power. It has the power to go along with the bold looks. Its very rare to see a 300C sitting on the lot.

3) For what you are getting in the 300 lineup the price is great. Definately alot of bang for your buck here. The 300 being priced the way it is is definately bringing good sales, and should continue to.

4) A RWD car like this was overdue. Many other manufacturers are going to follow this lead. Kutos to Chrysler for bringing it back like they have with the LX cars.

I think the 300 has been a homerun for Chrysler. Its a great package with a great price. There really isn't anything to compare it with, at thise time anyway. This car sets a new standard when it comes to sedans. I hope to see more products like this in the future, from other manufacturers aswell.

Best as always.

Last edited by Musclecar_Fan; 03-12-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:55 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Ok, guys, how about a thread where we can simply list the advantages of any current brand offerings which appeal to us enough that we would buy it.
Simply state what you like most about a particular brand. No bashing (or even mention of other brands) is necessary.

so does this mean i can say what i like about each and EVERY brand ........ the advantage to dodge gm and ford or is this ford only positives?

Old 03-13-2005, 12:52 AM
Megalodon1
Senior User
Hi duramaximizer. You may say whatever you please regarding any one brand, or can include several brands into your post. You do not need to say anything positive for Ford. You need not even mention Ford. And this would be best if you have nothing good to say about them anyway...lol. The point of this thread is simply to state what you find appealing in today's trucks.

Example; "I like Chevy for ride quality and turn radius." -This is fine - you need not also include "Because Ford has a terrible ride." Another; "I love Ford's SFA for it's ruggedness and simplicity." - again perfectly fine without the added," GM's IFS is weak and complicated." These comments aren't necessary and will provoke responses. Let your choices stand out on their own merits instead of riding down something different to make your choice look good. Arguements aren't needed in this thread - just opinions. I think this would be interesting - perhaps a few Ford guys will have a single thing or two to say about GM which is positive.

I've always said "GM trucks do not have enough hip room or interior side to side space" in a few other posts, but here,rather than state that, I'd simply say "Ford trucks have the largest hip/shoulder interior dimensions available, I like this." I might follow with "I love GM's locking rear differential." Notice I did not include the 6.0 PSD above in my post? This is because I do not feel Ford has an significant advantage over the competition there - but that's MY OPINION - so rather than bring an arguement in favor of the Cummins, I simply omitted it altogether. Someone else may well come along and sing it's praises - that's fine too, I won't rebut their opinion - it's theirs.

See what I'm talking about? Two things which really interest me though - will this thread even take off? And if it does, can everyone actually just state the positives?
Even if this thread dos'ent get another single hit, that in itself helps to draw a few interesting conclusions...lol.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:31 AM
Rengaw
Junior User
After giving all the Big Three's heavy duty pickups a good look, I have a strong preference for the new '05 Super Duty Ford.

1. Like Megalodon1, I think this little known gem, the V10 engine, is one sweet motor that alot of people just write off as an inefficient gas hog. Not so. This motor is building a quiet reputation of performance and durability that gives you alot for the amount of gas it burns. Pull an equal load, say 7000lbs, with the V10 and the 5.4 V8, and you will get better mpg with the V10. And the real kicker is that this engine can be had for the very reasonable price of ONLY $600 msrp over the standard 5.4.

2. Torque Shift 5 speed tranny. I think this is going to end up being a solid transmission and will draw people to want it just like alot of people go to GM for the Allison.

3. Like the fact that Ford beefed these '05s up in frame, brakes, wheels. Trucks should cater to strength not car comfort features.

4. I like the way these Super Duty trucks look in the supercab and regular cab modes with that 8' bed. I like to fill an 8' bed full of firewood and lumber and even like to lay down in the things.

5. Last but not least, I like the feeling I get when I climb into the cab of a Ford Super Duty and head down the road. The actual experience of driving a particular truck is most important to me and I like the Fords best.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:50 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
I looked at and considered all the 1/2 ton pickups before I bought my new F150. The reasons I bought the Ford over the others were as follows.

1. 2 extra doors and room to put groceries and luggage behind the seat on standard cabs. Saves a lot of purchase bucks and easier to handle.

2. Much smaller turning radius with 4X4. New suspension makes the turning circle nice and tight.

3. More interior room and I get to look down on everybody else in standard trim.

4. More and nicer options available (XLT).

5. Fuel mileage rating is as good or better that all the others and more horsepower (except for the untested Nissan).

Old 03-13-2005, 07:33 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
ok thanks for the clarification ... this might get bookmarked as a favorite.

1. I like gm's car like ride with the ifs.
2. I like the interior design and arrangement of controls.
3. I like the rear G80 locker.
4. I like the combination duramax allison and am looking forward to a new chevy body style, new fuel injector design, and 6 speed allison auto.
5. I like the bowtie. (just for kicks)

likes about ford.

1. I like their mirrors.
2. I like their front locker.
3. I like the idea of the intagrated brake controller.

This will do for now.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:08 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Edited by Admin

I'm just gonna add 1 item to each of Duramaximizer's

GM Advantages
1) Gave current owners a 200,000 mile injector warranty

Ford advantages of the SD
1) Looks better

Old 03-14-2005, 04:10 PM
MofW
Mountain Pass
GM
I like the Allison trans.
interior
Eaton locking diff
IFS

Ford
SFA
the new grill
factory overload springs
GVW rating for the 1-tons

Old 03-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Don't know how many of you have looked at the new mid-size offerings but I ran by a Nissan dealer last week and while I was there, looked at the new Frontier. My how they have changed. They are a nice looking ride and from the outside looking in, the interior looks pretty decent. What got my attention, EPA hiway 20 mpg with a 265 HP engine hooked up to a 5 speed auto. That thing must fly, and still get good fuel mileage. The Kingcab is a short thing that can't weigh too much and with that engine, jeez. I haven't looked at the new Taco yet but it has similiar HP but uses premium gas for maximum performance.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:09 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I am going to talk about the Ford 500:

1) Interior space, the thing is HUGE
2) Trunk space, if you can't fit 4 bodies in there you aren't trying hard enough
3) Availability of 4wd of Fwd - both great for snow
4) More than adequate power (200hp!!!)
5) Some fantastic transmissions
6) Classy styling
7) Quality Interior
8) Ride and Handling

Like the V10, one of the most underated things in Fords showroom

Old 03-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Megalodon1
Simply state what you like most about a particular brand. No bashing (or even mention of other brands) is necessary..................
I have the truck you have described and I agree with you 100 %
I also owned the same truck in 04 so I feel my 05 has the following improvements.

I ordered my truck with the manual tranfer case shifter, You have a system neutral so you can get towed with four wheels on the ground, you still have shift on the fly, and you don't have to rely on an electric gizmo to shift your T/C for you plus you save some bucks, only downside you lose the little glove box.
The lariat lux upgrades are huge improvements, The auto setting for heat and cool , the auto dim rear view mirror, and the steering wheel controls for stereo volume, mode, next selection, fan speed, and temp control.
Also the new message system and the built in trailer brake control.
the steering is so much tighter on this 05 it is easier to pull on to a roadway and stay in your own lane. I have saved the best for last, the incredible 3V 6.8 litre V10 makes this truck feel light and nimble in city traffic. Take care, Wrenchtraveller

Last edited by Fordlover55; 03-15-2005 at 01:30 PM. Reason: shortened quote since it's the original topic
Old 03-15-2005, 04:21 AM
captchas
i had a 99 psd and dumped it because of the noise for a "dumb move" dodge . back to ford and my 19th blue oval. i personally don't drive enough for the psd to work or pay for it self and opted for the 3 valve 6.8. v10. for a gas motor in the super duty ford did it's home work on this one. it is as wrench states awsome and under rated. i have a larait but not the lux. pack and love this truck.
one can not compair it with a older ford in ride and comfort or performance.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:00 AM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back to the original post, my vote is for the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis

1.) With legal seating for 6, it can carry more passengers than any other car and most SUVs.

2.) The trunk can hold a 31" TV or a BBQ still in the box and still close.

3.) Body on frame construction and its shear size make it one of the safest cars on the road (verified, unfortunately, by me)

4.) Body on frame design also isolate the interior from suspension and tire noise, giving it a very quiet ride.

5.) It can be had with 2.73 gears that are rated at 25 mpgs on the highway. I observed 27.4 mgs during a road trip to LA. With an intake and dual exhaust conversion, it will easily see over 30 mpgs despite the 4200 lbs curb weight.

6.) It dominates the police and taxi sells.

7.) Many have been known to go over 500,000 miles.

Last edited by 73Fastbackv10; 03-16-2005 at 12:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Brand Advantages