Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Oklahoma Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Gary Lewis

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Postmaster

cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.
I Need Help Locating some Stainless Steel for a Project

Hello All,
I've been calling around and just got back from visiting a metal scrap yard across town, with no luck. I am searching for a piece of stainless steel bar that is about 1/2" thick by 3/4" wide by 8" long. Does anybody here have any leads or stainles steel scraps sitting in the corner of their shop?

Daily Driver 1978 F150
Old 03-09-2005, 02:43 PM
all alone in the world

Jimbare is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
dang, thats a big chunk of stainless! 3/4 wide and 8 ft long i can see, but 1/2 in thick?

might try a machine shop, mabey a production shop would have something you could use.

can you double 1/4 in and do what you need?
Old 03-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Postmaster

cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.
Heya Jim. Good to hear from you again!!! Actually it's not that big what I'm looking for is 3/4 inch wide, by 1/2inch thick, by 8 inches long. It's gonna replace my busted aluminum winch hook on the front of my antique boat.

Daily Driver 1978 F150
Old 03-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Postmaster

Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.
Hmm.... well, if you're willing to pay a premium, I could look into seeing if we can order some up at work. Though I'm really not sure, we don't usually deal with stainless.

What about some cold roll flat, same size, grade 50? I could probably manage to get ahold of some of that for pretty cheap.

A modest welcome back to you Jim.

STan

Old 03-09-2005, 05:07 PM
all alone in the world

Jimbare is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wink

ohhhhh, now i unerstant! i tant help being tupid, i was born this way! [and it only gets worse as time goes by!] cryin shame when you read it and then dont know what you read. oh well, another year and 10 more points off the i.q., and i aint got that many to spare!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Postmaster

Well, I'm replacing the broken aluminum piece with a piece of stainless so there is no painting or rust involved. Stan, do ya'll have any S.S. scraps at work that could be trimmed down to the size I'm looking for?

No biggee, Jim. I'd blame the confusion on the weather. I don't know if it's winter, summer, or spring when I wake up each morning.

Daily Driver 1978 F150
Old 03-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Postmaster

Silver Streak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check Home Depot and Lowes. They both have racks full of various sizes of steel, aluminum and SS bar stock. There's also a place in Wichita (the name of it escapes me at the moment) that sells scrap from the aircraft manufacturers cheap. I bought a piece of 3" 7075 aluminum bar stock 16" long from them a few years ago for like $20. That chunk would have cost me a few hundred bucks retail.
145 rwhp, 272 rwtq

2001 Lightning #127
13.18@104, no chip, no pulley, no nitrous

Confuscious say "Man who have no use for jackstand have promising career as jackstand".
Old 03-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Postmaster

Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.
Actually Ron, I don't. I think the only way I could get ahold of SS would be to special order it for me... oops I mean you (if you want the 70% employee discount that is). That's if we can even get it, I've never handled stainless out there, and am unsure if we can order it, but I could certainly look into it for you. The only problem is you would have to buy a whole stick... no telling how much that is. A36 and A50 is around $.40-$.70/lb. So I'm sure stainless would cost some big bucks.

Aside from that, have you maybe tried Borg steel??

STan

Old 03-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Post Fiend

fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.
I am pretty sure we have some scrap in our shop, we use all kinds of stainless for just about everything. Problem would be getting it to you. I'll check in the morning and let you know for sure. I know we have 1" thick and I think there is some 1/2 also.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:19 AM
Postmaster

Thanks, Fordborn, I'm gonna stop by two more places on the way home to see if I can locate what I'm looking for. I guess people don't work with Stainless steel very much.

Daily Driver 1978 F150
Old 03-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Post Fiend

fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.fordborn has a great reputation on FTE.
It looks like I have some flat stock that is around an inch wide 1/2 inch thick and probably 1 foot long.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Postmaster

Silver Streak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks like you're hooked up, but in case anybody needs the info the place in Wichita is called The Yard.
145 rwhp, 272 rwtq

2001 Lightning #127
13.18@104, no chip, no pulley, no nitrous

Confuscious say "Man who have no use for jackstand have promising career as jackstand".
Old 03-16-2005, 01:08 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Oklahoma Chapter

Tags
arrow, broken, scrap, stainless, steel