6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

ford owns cummins

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Blade07
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ford owns cummins

someone please tell me the truth, ive hear ford bought out cummins, fact or fiction, btw, im new here, tell me why you bought a ford and not a dodge or chevy/gmc, thanks

Old 02-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
I did not see any Press Releases on either Ford or Cummins' Websites to suggest that Ford had bought out Cummins. That is not to say that there is not a deal in progress, though. Rumors abound about the next PowerStroke potentially being a Cummins, for example, although most seem to think it'll be a punched out version of the 6.0 with twin turbos, with 6.4 bieng the number bandied about.

I bought the Ford because the family's always had Fords. I've got pictures that go back three generations on that one. In addition, I prefer the Ford interior layout. They have always managed to bear up to whatever we've thrown at them, too, and that is a plus.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Blade07
New User
i like ford, please dont get me wrong, but when i came to this site, i am seeing alot of problems being posted wiht the ford powerstroke, that im not seeing at the chevy, dodge, sites, does ford just have some more work to do or is it just a couple of bad trucks in the group?

Old 02-28-2005, 09:59 PM
catalina38
Freshman User
Your not seeing complaints on the Dodge and Duramax sites? Look again.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Blade07
New User
well yes, sorry, let me state this more clearly there are complaints, but not near as much as on the ford sights, im not trying to pick fights, i just want to enhance my knowlegde about these engines, so when i get a new truck in a couple years, i know which one i wanna go with.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:19 PM
04 LARIAT STROKER
Senior User
blade, this is a site where people talk about problems, thats the whole point of it...so your gonna see more people with problems than not...but that doesnt meant that tere arent good trucks all over the place...i own 2 of them and have had no problems...and to answer your other question, i buy ford because they are the toughest built truck out there...i have see work trucks in coal mines, and things like that, they take a lickin and keep on ticken...they are used and very very abused...they wont buy a dodge or chevy because they just cant handle the abuse

Old 02-28-2005, 10:37 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ford does not own Cummings.

I bought my Ford 6.0 simply because I felt it is the better truck & value on the road today.

If you are gonna read the bad stuff you will do yourself a huge dis-service if you don't read the good stuff.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:58 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have heard that Ford owned a generous % of Cummins, and that was supposedly why Ford would never put a cummins in the Fords, that Cummins had a contract with Dodge Yadda Yadda Yadda. Don't know if it is true or not. Though I would tend to believe KW5413 as he has had some very good advise regarding 6.0 / egr isuues that have proven true in the past.
I chose Ford because I have owned Pieces of Chebbies and Dodges in the past and have found Ford to serve me the best. Plus, I come from a family of Ford owners.
I have no regrets for my latest purchase, or my past Ford purchases. (see signature)
But don't take my word for it. Trucks these days are darned expensive. You should weigh the choices and choose what will make YOU happy. You're the one who will have to live with your decision. I hope for you to make one that will make you happy.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:05 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Ford does not own Cummins. At one time they had a share of the stock (a small share I believe - like less then 20%) But they no longer have the stock or any part of Cummins. This myth has been around since Dodge first put the cummins in their trucks (maybe longer) and keeps popping up again and again.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:42 AM
keith w
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordborn
Ford does not own Cummins. At one time they had a share of the stock (a small share I believe - like less then 20%) But they no longer have the stock or any part of Cummins. This myth has been around since Dodge first put the cummins in their trucks (maybe longer) and keeps popping up again and again.

And for anyone that needs to read it for themselves, copy and paste http://www.cummins.com/sa/pages/en/c...0880C4A8F00000

Old 03-01-2005, 07:22 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Do a search over in the Ford vs. the Comp forum and you will have hours of reading on this subject

Old 03-01-2005, 08:16 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
In 1994, Ford did purchase a generous portion of Cummins. However in 2001 or so they sold it back to Cummins. Cummins considers Ford a good customer of theirs, however, less Cummins have been purchased since they now offer the CAT Diesel in the F-650/750 and also now the 6.0 Powerstroke. I rode in a buddys roll-back w/ a 6.0 and he raced a CAT Powered 05 F-650 and the 6.0 ran off and left the CAT. He also had a DMAX Roll-back which he sold 2 months after he got it for another F-650 because the DMAX was in the shop 2 days after he bought it, he went on a wrecker call and the turbo went out on the haul back. Waited a week for Turbo, then he got it back and an injector went out. DMAX aint even worth having if you ask me. You think we have 6.0 problems, the DMAX has been the problem child of Chevy since it came out.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordborn
There were a few Ford "test" trucks that had the Cummins 5.9 in them.

From what I hear (keyword: rumor) Ford was trying to prevent Dodge from being able to buy the Cummins engine.

I have no idea if there is any truth to it at all.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:32 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now THAT sounds like a high level blocking strategy that I somewhat believe

Just like a baseball team that has a great shortstop and doesn't need one...
when another great shortstop comes out they don't need him,
but still don't want the other team to have them - so they sign him
(or make sure he goes to the other division )

Sound familiar

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 03-01-2005 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:43 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
JD...what the heck does your avatar (little bitty picture) say? Can't read the ding dang deal even with my ding dang reading glasses on.

And yes, I know, I am getting older by the minute. Thank goodness. The alternative ain't so good.

Quick Reply: ford owns cummins