Houston Shops and Mechanics?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 10:46 PM
jdbanks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Houston Shops and Mechanics?

Hey guys,

One of the elder statesmen checking in after an extended absence.

I finally am getting my '67 F100 back in my hands with some money and time to work on it. But I'm in my new digs of Houston and I'm not sure who and where to take it for quality and trustworthy work. Anyone have suggestions?

Also, if you're a 67-72 Ford guy like myself, check out my post in the 67-72 Forum about the problems I've been having with the truck. I'd appreciate all the input I can get. Thanks guys.

-J.Banks-

Old 02-26-2005, 11:04 PM
TryMe
Senior User
Houston shops

Ok JD ! First of all besides it being a 67 truck. You need to let the guys know what kind of work you are looking to have done. Body,auto repair, etc.
And since Houston is so large. Unless you dont mine traveling a long ways to the shop,what area of town are you in. What the hell a person can drive 35 miles across town and still be in Houston. And with Houstons traffic like it is thats bad. Besides my own shop I know of a few, that will not rip you off. But only a few,most will. If you happen to be on my side of town your welcome to stop by and chat or what ever. Or anyone else in here. I am located in N.W. Houston, In walkin distance of 1960 and 249 HWY. Or like close to Willow Brook Mall. I do everything to a truck. from the ground up.
all types of body work and auto repair. Have several trucks always at the shop that you can look at. Myself not customers trucks. I have a 1940 Ford P.U., 1950 F-4 Ford/Holmes split boom wrecker, a 1952 Mercury M-3 fully size 4-door 1-ton dually truck, a 57 ford wagon,and a half built 1969 351 windsor front engine powered Volkswagen bug. Yep its a sleeper for those mustang boys. I am sure I can help find what you need. But then again you might think I am to far away. Thats ok to. Your still welcome to stop by.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:41 PM
jdbanks
Elder User
TryMe,

I didn't specifiy my location because I'm willing to make the drive for an honest mechanic who does good work. And I don't specifically need the work done on my '67 I assume I can find a good shop that can handle whatever problems pop up or people could reply as to which shops are good for what. No telling what problems might arise down the road with my '67 or my wife's 2000 Toyota Corrolla or anything else.

My specific problems for my '67 were detailed in my post in the 67-72 Forum I referenced. Mainly right now I will need wiring work done, the alternator isn't charging despite changing out most everything in the charging system and switching to a Chevy alt. as a final result. Still not charging. I had switched the steering column to an automatic/power column from the old standard setup and the wires didn't match up. So I had the shop it's at now, rewire it maybe that's where the problem is. The guy who did it is the best mechanic I know and I trust him, but he only works on it as a part time basis, so maybe that's the problem or maybe he's too close to the problem, I don't know. All I know is I want it working.

Also looks like I'm going to need someone to put a new exhaust setup on as well.

-J.Banks-

Old 02-28-2005, 08:15 PM
TryMe
Senior User
Well there nothing wrong with using a good GM alternator. Matter fact even though my 50 and 52 are powered by big block fords,I put GM alterntors on them and the work fine. But if you have done it you might change it over to a one wire unit. If you have not done it. As for using the early model GM column in a Ford. Most of the Fords I build I put in a 67-72 GM truck or early van type tilt wheel. Its not that much problem,to hookup to the Ford wiring. I do all my work on the trucks,don't farm out anything. Body work,and I do paint the trucks although I do not have a paint booth,I have a friend that has a nice one that I use. We do all the auto repair,and you mention exhaust. Just happen to have a exhaust tubing bender that will bend up to 3 inch pipe. Don't get me wrong,I am not trying to get your business I am just trying to help. I have plenty of work. But I do like old trucks and If you need some help ask. Even if someone gets your truck worked out for you,and hopefully the will soon. If sometime your on my side of town and have a few minutes to chat,drop by.
Have a great day ! TryMe

Old 03-08-2005, 08:21 PM
jdbanks
Elder User
What's the name of your shop? I'll stop in sometime.

-J.Banks-

Old 03-13-2005, 10:53 AM
TryMe
Senior User
"Hobby Kars" is it. Sorry takin so long banks ,we took a trip out to LA. If you need a address or directions email me. Ill give you the address and phone number. Dam calif gettin bad. Gettin washed away. Later !