Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote 4wheeling, winch or locker first?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 03:34 PM
natewoz
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote 4wheeling, winch or locker first?

Hi guys,

I moved to northern Minnesota this year, and will be up here for 3 more for sure. I do an awful lot of off-road driving, more out of necessity than for recreation. Usually when I am off-road, I am almost always the only vehicle, miles from no were, and cell-phone reception is zero. 1-2' deep snow, ice, and mud are the usual obsticles. If I would get stuck (which I have) it can be a very cold and long walk for help. Even if I could find help, we would need one heck of abuilt rig to get back to were I am, and to get both of us out. As of now my truck is lifted 5.5" and sitting on 33x12.50's.

I have open diff's front and back, which as we all know is a severe disadvantage. If I was to lock the rear end, I'd be able to get in to more places, and out of more sticky situations. However, I am also a little worried about spinouts on icy highways with a locker (I'm looking at a Powertrax No-Slip).

A winch wouldn't help me much getting in to more places, but it could get me out of nearly all the places I'd get stuck- especially the really nasty ones like chest deep snow and ice. My #1 priority is getting back on the highway. If I can't get back to were I need to go, I can always finish it on foot or come back later. But I always need to get the truck back on the road.

I hope to have both when my finances allow, but I'd sure like to get one or the other this year. Which one do should I look at first? Any opinions, experiance, or whatever would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:48 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say the winch is mandatory, the limited slip optional. Also, you need to carry a shovel and an axe or even a chain saw, or you could just carry your own log. That way if there's nothing to tie your winch cable to, you can lay down a dead man. Do you know how to do that?

Also, don't get a wimpy winch. You need one that is strong enough to drag that truck if it were to get mired to the axles. When they get that deep, the wheels are more of hindrance than a help. They just offer more drag until you can get out of the mire.

When I was in the Army, a good friend of mine had just come to our outfit direct from a 13 month tour in Korea where he did recovery and evacuation. This guy could retrieve any kind of stuck vehicle in any kind of conditions. He was nothing short of amazing. We were in Germany and there was lots of snow and mud to get everything you can imagine stuck so deep in the mud, you'd think nothing short of a tank retriever would get it out, but Joe ALWAYS found a way. He often did it with very little resources too.

Get plenty of winch, plenty of cable, a ****** block, a ****** strap or short chain with chain hooks on both ends, something to cut logs, a shovel, good gloves, good boots and keep all your winter gear in the truck. I'm sure that you already know most of this, but when you go into remote offroad areas preparation is everything.

Additionally, you should think about things such as tools, spares, jumper cables, fix a flat, all your tire changing tools, and keep that truck in the best state of repair and maintenance that you know how.

To me, taking a truck into conditions like you describe is sort of like packing your own parachute. Don't trust your truck to that kid at the Jiffy Lube. Change the oil yourself and take full advantage of that opportunity to check everything you can at oil change. Be constantly looking under the truck for leaks and walk around and check tires before every venture offroad. Give that thing a preflight like a pilot because your life could depend on that truck.

Good luck and be safe,
Doc

Old 02-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Georgia boy '88
Freshman User
Go with the winch. It is really the number 1 necessity when offroading, especially alone.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:19 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
it's really a toss up in my opinion. but if i HAD to choose I would go with a winch. there are so many uses for one it will boggle your mind! not to mention you can use it to extract yourself. also, do NOT skimp on the winch if you go that route! if you save money now you will pay dearly later. would say go with a tried and true time tested Warn. also invest in a GOOD recovery gear kit like the ones at RockStomper.

also, do you drive in 4x4 other than when needed like on icy roads? if not you outta kick around the idea of welding your front diff up. that way you at least have one locker that was free!

-cutts-

Old 02-10-2005, 04:57 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
get a pull-pal.. that way you can winch yourself out if there isn't any place to attach.

Old 02-10-2005, 05:20 PM
natewoz
Elder User
Thanks for the replies so far. I always got the winter gear, decent selection of tools, boots, axe, shovel, etc in the truck. Truck gets a once over frequently. I'm gonna check up on the pull-pal. Thanks guys

Old 02-10-2005, 07:15 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Here's what i would do, A good used winch, then go through it to make sure its in tip top shape, for a winch a 8274 would be a good choice, and make sure you have a high lift jack and as suggested a pull-pal, and a ****** block.

Then i would hit the wreckers and find a factory front limited slip (i think you could get a LS from the factory in the TTB trucks) front and rebuild it (tos an extra clutch or 2 in there) and swap it in, this would run you about the same cost as a new winch if you get a deal on the winch and ls front.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:44 PM
warrencowboy05
Senior User
if you dont mind me asking...why do you need to do all that offroading alone? is it for a job? or what?

adam

Old 02-10-2005, 08:02 PM
fordsrgrt
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i second the upright imo there better plus they have more cable which is always good

Old 02-10-2005, 08:19 PM
natewoz
Elder User
if you dont mind me asking...why do you need to do all that offroading alone? is it for a job? or what?
What I ment by recreation is I'm driving offroad to do things I enjoy, not just for the fun of 4wheeling. Maybe necessity wasn't the best term to use for my pursuit of outdoor fun. Most of the time it's breaking through to snowed in cabins, getting back into the deep woods on muddy trails/ roads, etc. I've never gone out without a second set of hands. I'm usually the only vehicle because I got nobody else with a built 4x4 who can come with.

Question about motors- I have heared that perminent magnet motors over heat faster than series wired ones. Is this true, and how much better are the series wired ones?

Last edited by natewoz; 02-10-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:53 PM
bulrydr_1
Senior User
Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to wheel alone....

perm magnet motors do tend to overheat faster. this hold true with any type of electric motor. From what you are going to be using it for, heavy duty stuff, your best bet is to go with series wired motor. Mine is a perm magnet type, but then again, I rarely use it for anything heavy duty, so it works for me. If you do use it for heavy use, just be careful and be sure you allow it to cool down once in awhile...

Old 02-10-2005, 09:01 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Get an ARB for the rear, big fat tires aired down to 20 psi or less, a portable air compressor, high lift jack, and carry some boards. A locked axle means the torque is split evenly over both tires so you are less likely to get stuck, lose traction and dig a hole, and then need a winch in deep snow.

If you need a winch, then go hydraulic and to make sure you can winch and drive at the same time. A bad stuck or constant electric winching will easily over power even the best dual battery set up. A good pull can draw 600-800 AMPs per second and if you have to do it for more then a minute you are pretty much stuck.

> I am also a little worried about spinouts on icy highways with a locker

Nothing is worse then hitting ice down hill, have the locker or limited slip lock, and have your rear end slid over the shoulder, and have to drive into the ditch to save it.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:32 PM
natewoz
Elder User
What do you guys think about the Warm Magnum/Tabor 9k?

I don't like wheeling alone either, I'd like to have somebody to go with. I totally agree it's safer with more folks and that being the only rig is inherently more risky.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Weld the front and get a winch. Maybe even mount the winch on a receiver and get yourself a front receiver hitch.

Old 02-11-2005, 06:26 AM
bremen242
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Saurian
Weld the front and get a winch. Maybe even mount the winch on a receiver and get yourself a front receiver hitch.
What are you talking about?? We are talking about snow and ice, not west virginia mud. Welding the front is the _LAST_ thing you want to do, unless you like excessively squirrelly handling on ice. Northern Minnisotta is a place where you'll have to drive around on the main roads with 4x4. Not something you want to do with a locked front.

What do you guys think about the Warm Magnum/Tabor 9k?

I don't like wheeling alone either, I'd like to have somebody to go with. I totally agree it's safer with more folks and that being the only rig is inherently more risky.
Warn has good winches. I've never heard of tabor. I'd probably get a warn or a milemarker hydro (not electric).

Quick Reply: Remote 4wheeling, winch or locker first?