1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion
Old 11-12-2014, 11:41 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

How to remove Rotors that are rusted on Ford Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 04:17 PM
digitalshooter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh well my bad, but as I said it was my last brake job and wont have this vehicle another 97K or 50K to replace the new set of brakes.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2010, 06:17 PM
deanjet
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might I suggest a flaming bacon oxygen lance?
FLAMING BACON LANCE - THEODORE GRAY | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 09-07-2010, 03:33 PM
RedExpedition01
New User
About 18 months ago I replaced the brakes and rotors on my '01 Expedition. I did not think of the bolt idea. After trying everything but #2 dynamite over the course of a week, I downed 5 beers and took a lump hammer to the rotors and shattered them into small pieces. I put in those fake Halloween vampire teeth when I came back inside to impress my wife with my mechanical ability.
Well about 10K miles later I think the hub bearing went. All kinds of noise and vibration. So,,, I thought it would not be hard to get the rotor off as part of replacing the hub bearing. Wrong! I had to find the vampire teeth again and attack! attack! attack!. Then I read this. I bought two new rotors so I intend to take the other side off with rotor and hub together.
Great forum.

Last edited by RedExpedition01; 09-07-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM
dflock
New User
youre a life saver!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice about the bolts! Those worked bad ***! The rotors popped!!! You saved us hours! You're the best in the west Mark!!!!!! Thanks again!!!!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 PM
kingcarz
New User
I wish it was this easy with the bolts, I stripped the threads on the bolts twice, so I'm into the saw zall action, there is about an 1/8 inch of rust holding this one the bearing, I do not want to keep hitting it and wreck the bearing

Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 PM
digitalshooter
Junior User
are you spraying with the spray suggested? you must be using wrong grade bolts.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:05 AM
kingcarz
New User
Thumbs up take off rusted on front rotors

Have soaked the rotor inside and out a few times for about a week before I started to remove the rotors, all they do is flex out and after a few times of hitting and turning the rotor and tighten the screws they eventally screws strip out, I will just do the saw zall here, I know that works every time

Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by kingcarz
I will just do the sawzall here, I know that works every time
With a new blade, it only takes literally 2-3 minutes per rotor if you're being careful not to hit the hub. I don't think I'd ever waste days waiting for oil to soak in, I'd just cut them off.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:30 PM
kingcarz
New User
take off rusted on front rotors

The saw zall with new blades worked great! cut through outer ring and about a 1/4 inch into the rotor/hub area, cut a small little wedge on the outer ring so my chisel will fit in the cut rotor, about 3 good solid hits- the rotor broke into 2 pieces, 5 minutes and 2 new blades for each rotor.
Make sure you cut between the ribs on the rotor to reduce saw blade friction.
I will never pound on a rotor again for hours till it contributes to early wheel bearing failure.
Most times the rotors come off with a couple good hits, this is Michigan rust here.
I have used the saw zall a few times in the past to remove rotors.
Be sure to put anti-sieze on the mating surfaces if you want remove them easily next time.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:26 AM
kingcarz
New User

Be careful using the bolt & nut method to remove your rusted rotors, I just bent my caliper bracket mounting holes in about 1/8 inch at the mounting bracket/at outside edge of rotor, and the caliper will not fit properly, I had to use washers to shim the caliper mounting bracket back out an 1/8 inch and now the caliper is at an slight angle off, but moves freely now

Last edited by kingcarz; 10-29-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: additions
Old 10-29-2010, 07:18 PM
alloro
I had to use washers to shim the caliper mounting bracket back out an 1/8 inch and now the caliper is at an slight angle off, but moves freely now
Why didn't you just go to a junkyard and get another bracket? They're cheap enough and it's only 2 bolts to swap it out. The problem you can run into now is the pads will wear at an angle and your braking power is reduced.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:26 PM
kingcarz
New User

I would have to replace the whole hub/steering knuckle assembly and I'm not into that right now, The bracket is fine

Old 10-29-2010, 07:44 PM
alloro
I would have to replace the whole hub/steering knuckle assembly
Oooooh, you bent the steering knuckle mounts for the caliper mounting bracket, not the caliper mounting bracket itself. Well that's a bum deal.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:00 AM
kingcarz
New User

I would try to bend it back, but it would being my luck break the bolt hole tabs off, just another good lesson learned in rusted on rotors, if they do not come off with a few good hits with the BFH, plain & simple- get the saw zall out and cut them off!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:41 PM
racerock
Senior User
Be careful using the bolt & nut method to remove your rusted rotors, I just bent my caliper bracket mounting holes in about 1/8 inch at the mounting bracket/at outside edge of rotor, and the caliper will not fit properly, I had to use washers to shim the caliper mounting bracket back out an 1/8 inch and now the caliper is at an slight angle off, but moves freely now
I'm telling you guys - USE THE SAWZALL!!! why do people keep trying to save rotors that are probably just going to the recycling bin (hopefully instead of the landfill)!

I am glad to see that many people are using the sawzall.

A guy at work just asked me how to get them off his navi... he was beathing the heck out of the front end, and was thinking about the bolt trick. Told him about my post a number of years ago... I'll repost it as it sounds like maybe it needs to be on the later pages?

Quick Reply: How to remove Rotors that are rusted on Ford Expedition