Leveling kit for a '02 Super Cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 05:07 AM
Shmuck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leveling kit for a '02 Super Cab

Me Again.

This time I need to know where I can get a leveling kit and what exactly a leveling kit consists of.

It has been suggested to get the leveling kit. This will allow me to put bigger tires on and will probably help with the oil filter situation I have noted in another thread.

Essentially all I know is that the kit will lift the front end up by 2.5", but are there any consequences? i.e. ride suffers, do I need to put on new shocks, other adjustments required??

I can't seem to get one from the Ford dealer over here, so I will have to order in from North America, but from where?? Are there different models or are they all the same. Is this a DIY job or do I need an "expert" to install?

Please, any help will be appreciated as this is stalling the rest of my plans for the truck.

Thanks,

Shmuck

Last edited by Shmuck; 02-03-2005 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:42 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
I cannot claim to know about all possible leveling kits, but I think they are normally used when someone is adding significant weight to the front, as for example, with a snow plow (I don't imagine you have much use for that!). I guess you could also do this if you don't like the "butt high" look of most trucks when empty (I'd rather change the rear shackles and add air lifts to prevent sagging when loaded). Bigger tires may or may not fit (because they are also limited by other factors). Doesn't seem likely that the oil filter is worth this.

Front springs or torsion bars are usually heavier. If you have front torsion bars, you might be able to crank them up, but allignment changes would still be necessary. It may also be possible to use spacers. In any event, the ride and handling suffers, and yes, you probably need different shocks. Wear will probably increase.

I don't know your mechanical aptitude, or what other help you might get in that part of the world, but if your Ford dealer can't or won't help you, I would recommend against your trying it. If you decide differently, check further on this forum, its sponsor or advertisers, or in the "enthusiast" truck magazines.

Last edited by MrBSS; 02-03-2005 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Shmuck
Senior User
Yep, you got that right, no need for a snow plow over here. Sun screen and a tow rope is about all you need!!

I've seen leveling kits on the web but nothing for the 2002 F150's. The way I understood it was that Ford had to lower the front end of the trucks so that there would be better bumper to bumper contact in the event of an accident. However, I did not think it had anything to do with carrying heavy loads at the front of the vehicle.

Regardless, I'm still interested. Anyone else with a lead??

Old 02-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Shmuck
Senior User
Hard to believe how busy this forum is!! Took me awhile to find my own post. Just wanted to bring this topic back up to the top in hopes that someone will have a read and be able to point me in the right direction. Not having much luck with my Ford dealer, although they are trying very hard.

So, ...Leveling kits, any ideas?!?!?

Thanks

Old 02-09-2005, 10:17 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru
I would crank the torsion bars first and see if it gives you what you want. If not then spend the money on the kit.

Old 02-09-2005, 06:43 PM
01Screw4x4
Junior User
is the truck 2x4 or 4x4 if it is 4x4 then all you can do is crank up the torsion bars b/c nobody makes a leveling kit for the 97-03 4x4 but there are plenty of places that sell the leveling kit for the 2x4. good luck

Old 02-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Shmuck
Senior User
Sorry folks, forgot to mention that my truck is a 4X4.

I'm surprised to hear that 2x4 kits exist but one for the 4x4 does not. Interesting. Any chance that the 2x4 kit would or could fit on the 4x4??

As for the torsion bars, I have heard of people using this technique to lift the front end up, but I do not know enough about the torsion bars (actually don't really know anything about torsion bars!) to assess if this is a good option or not. Do other "setting" need to be adjusted to compinsate for the change in the torsion bar setting? (I'm thinking alignment and tire camber) How much lift could I get by adjusting the torsion bars? Is this a "difficult" job? Any pitfalls or a down-side to cranking the torsion bars?

Thanks for the replies!!

Old 02-10-2005, 04:56 PM
fordtruckfan90
Senior User
speaking of torsion bars, i have a 99 ext cab 4x4, with 25570r16 tires, i want to go bigger, so is it possible to raise up the torsion bars, and the only backlash will be that i neeed an alignment? I know i can get lift blocks for the rear, i guess it would save a lot of money from buying a lift kit!

Old 02-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can probably raise the front end an inch or so by adjusting the torsion bars but not much more than that. It will probably also make it ride stiffer and will change the alignment.
It's pretty easy to do. At the back end of the torsion bar is the "key" that the bar goes into. There is an 18mm head bolt screwed into that. It presses against the adjuster nut. Mark where the bolt is now or measure it so you have a reference point.
Turn the bolt in until the height is where you want. Repeat for the other side.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:58 PM
bambishooten
Senior User
I read about leveling kits when I first found this site, called all shops, then got a 4Wheel parts mag & the front end leveling kit is for the 04's & 05's so I went to autozone & spent $5 on a 18 mm 1/2 deep socket & cranked the torsion bars, just count how many turns on eack side, I did one full turn on each side, then went back & did it again 'til I got the truck level in the front

Old 02-12-2005, 02:52 AM
Shmuck
Senior User
Good information! Looks like my only option will be to crank the torsions bars.

So that being said, can I really only lift the front end by an inch? And aside from the ride being stiffer are there other side effects to the ride, handling or suspension?

I just need to know what I can expect.

Thanks Again.

Old 02-12-2005, 08:55 AM
bambishooten
Senior User
I have driven mine only 5K sinsce I cranked mine, but talked to a gut on here that had driven over 40K on his truck w/no problems, as far as how much lift you will get depends on how much room you have to play with, I got mine upright at an inch, which is almost level (looks ALOT better) have heard of as much as 2". The ride is a little bit stiffer on my truck, the more you crank, the stiffer it will be and the more tension you will be putting on the componets, I think an inch or so is just right good luck & let me know how it turned out for you

Old 02-13-2005, 02:21 AM
Shmuck
Senior User
Well that sounds good! Glad to hear that it's not too much of a big deal. Ashame that their isn't a proper leveling kit!?! Bambishooten, do you have any pictures to share??

Old 02-13-2005, 11:35 AM
bambishooten
Senior User
it's no big deal at all, took me about 15 minutes, it also helps to jack the front end up to take some wieght of, but you can do it with out also, sorry no pics,

Old 02-13-2005, 01:55 PM
SHUSTANG
Senior User
someone on ebay was selling a set of torsion keys that were indexed a little different so it would raise the front end. they showed a pic of 1 f-150 that had these on with 3" blocks in the rear and the thing looked awesome. they were like 200 bucks but havent been able to find them for a while. its a bunch of crap because if you look in most 4wd magazines, they sell the same thing for chevies but lists nothing for ford.