6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dodge Cummins Talking about 6.0PSD

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 01:28 AM
hontechs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Cummins Talking about 6.0PSD

hey guys been to some Dodge diesel sites....dieselram.com dieseltruckresource.com, and dodgediesel.com ---- They mentioned that many Ford 6.0psd have been having problems --- 04s too.. not only 03s...yeh yeh they LOL big time!!!
I have a 04 PSD DRW CC and seems like they are partially right. I have had a oil leak somewhere that is almost untraceable by the dealer. I am pretty fed up with it!!! TS tranny just let go last week too(noticed they mentioned that in the Dodge sites as well..how many of us are experiencing this???)......I tow a 8K lb trailor occasionally, but nothing more. Do I race the cr@p out of it???...NO!!! I just hope that their will be no INJ problem in the near future like the 03s. We should becareful about what we say about our competition... seems like we are competeing within ourselves with Ford's decision in choosing the 6.0PSD.
FORD S/D are more appealing visually no doubt(I love how my 04 PSD drw CC looks....), but seems like we've been out for the count as far as receiving knock outs...I am confused and dazzed about all this that's happening with my 6.0PSD(I am sure not only myself, but many of us). Ford should've just stayed with the 7.3L and upgraded to a dual ball bearing turbo slightly bigger in size and a better upgraded fuel map for more boost. Where did Ford go wrong.... I hope the 05s are better... I am thinking of getting one VERY SOON!!! don't want to resort to getting a Cummins... However seems like some vetern Ford guys in here agree with the Cummins being a stouter/stronger/better overall engine altogether. Forget the Auto trannies...48re, 47re, TS, Allison,etc <--all junk from what I hear...TS for sure now by personal experience!!! or maybe i just got a lemon..don't know, but NV5600 looks to be a good choice by FAR 6speed manual would be awesome.... SEMITRUCK WANNABE!!! hehe!!!

I will be test driving a 05 PSD and a 05 Cummins this weekend...both 6speed of course...I will update if you guys want to hear about it!!! hope they will give me a good amount for trade-in on my 04PSD. hopefully $35K!!!

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-20-2005 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Sent email on bumping filter
Old 01-20-2005, 05:19 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Cummings engine is a very capable towing engine (same goes for PSD) but you will find that the Dodge truck is less refined.

Old 01-20-2005, 06:38 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,442 Likes on 2,116 Posts
Sounds like you need to read further on the Dodge site and talk to a few owners. A long talk I had last week with an owner of an 03 Dodge Cummins loved his truck very much except for the 3 thousand in brake repairs since owning the truck......

Each brand has problems and coming from a GM vehicle I will keep my Ford.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Megalodon1
Senior User
Well.....decisions like this can be very difficult for somone with an objective mind. I too frequent many Dodge truck sites and I've seen the posts your referring to. Blatant as some of those guys are - they make some good points.

Brand loyalty just plain dosent make sense anymore. It's nice to consider yourself part of a "club" so to speak - be it Dodge, Ford, GM, etc. It's very tempting to turn from an objective mind to a close minded biased person once you've already made your buy - it helps to reinforce the decisions you've already made...lol.

Example; John wants to buy a truck - not sure on the Dodge/Cummins or Ford/Powerstroke. Thinks about it and thinks about it. Finally decides he's going to buy the Cummins - now what? He justifies the buy once he's made it "I've owned Ford's before, but the problems they have now are just too many for me to deal with, my Cummins is great." Situation could just as easily have gone differently if he'd eaten something different for breakfast....lol. He buys the Ford, "What was I thinking?..yeah Dodge has the Cummins but Ford has always worked for me - I guess this just proves Ford is the better truck afterall."

Before he buys he's not so sure which is the better truck for the money - but once he's invested 30 - 40K, he better have the better truck!...lol.

I go by personal experiences. If I had bought a 6.0PSD without any problems, then I would go buy another if and when the time comes regardless of any problems someone else says they have had. If I got a bad one myself - it would be my last. I'm no glutton for punishment. Some of those guys on the Dodge site make alot of sense - How can someone have two or three trucks go bad and be bought back or replaced within the last 3 years and go back for more?

How can someone say the following; "My two PSD's have been nightmares.
First one had so many injector issues and never ran right so I had it bought back by Ford. My second one has a chronic leak in the transmission. My Torqueshift lost reverse. Both get horrible mileage. All in all I still love the truck....???

Or; "Dodge has the better engine, and better manual transmission. Cummins holds up better from what I've seen with my brother's truck. My trucks been out of service three seperate times for a total of 27 days since I bought it new 6 months ago. But all in all I feel Ford has the better truck."

This is brand bias at it's worst - gluttons for punishment. With half the problems I'd be gone and driving something else. Ford would have no
choice but to get their chit straight with people like me. I'm not a kid anymore, and I will never own anything ever again for the reason of
"just because."

As it is, I have never owned a 6.0 - but I have test driven one with the Torqueshift. It offers superior performance to the Cummins/48RE without a doubt - it's night and day. As far as reliability goes, it seems from all the talk as though the Cummins/48RE is the better of the two - who would have thought that would be the case a year ago? Not me.

Being I prefer manual transmissions the choice would come down to the Cummins with 6 speed or PSD with Torqueshift - thats easier for me - my money would be spent on the Dodge. I would have the benefit of owning
an engine with a much better reputation. I would not be affected by computerised transmission glitches or worries of over heating. But in
reality it would be the transmission which made my decision so easy.

were I ever forced into an automatic because of some sort of disability,
I'd be in a Ford with PSD/Torqueshift. The performance is just so much
better than that of the 48RE. I'd do this inspite of reported problems -
but if I got burned, it would be my last. I would not be back for more.
I'd take the hit in performance and go to something with reliability.

The Dodge truck is less refined. It's all truck. Dodge offers a few niceties in their Laramie to try to mask this - but there's no mistaking what your in
once you drive it - a brute of a truck. With the Ford your able to upgrade
it to a point where it's a bit easier to forget that your in a three ton pickup.
It's about whats important to you.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:22 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Moved to the 6.0 area

Maybe a different view then FvC forum

Old 01-20-2005, 11:05 AM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
I can't agree with Megadolon1 more!

To add:
None of the big three diesels have impecible automatic transmission histories. None of the currently offered diesels are perfect. There are thousands of good functioning trucks from all three that are on the roads. But the differences in what is offered are night and day. You can't use the GM as a truck. It rides like a car. The Dodge is pure truck with loads of torque, but still too soft for me. The SuperDuty is truck with a comfortable interior, less noise, better erganomics, and better resale down the road. Aside from some "lemons", the Ford truck reputation is still strong. The 05' front suspension is so different than the 04' that you can't compare the two. The 05 wins for ride and turning radious, but I'm not sure for heavy loads.

I have just turned 7000 miles on my 04' 6.0 SD F250 with the 6spd. My truck has never been in for service! It's still stock, and I drive it like I would anything new. But I use it as a truck, to tow, to haul, and as my daily driver to the office and I take care of it with maintenance so it will last.

I had some turbo bark at 2100 rpm for a while, Zoodad- and that seemed to go away mysteriously. The only problem I have is the light oil spray on the underside of the hood that I can't quite narrow down yet. From this forum information, I've checked for loose intercooler tubes and things that some others have experienced. That's what I call preventive maintenance. I'm still monitoring all of you about the latest flash. No problems so far, so I'm apprehensive to run to my dealer service tech.

The Dodge has some neat features and gobbs of torque. Don't run an automatic behind the Cummins. It won't last. But the Ford and Dodge have weak clutches for the 6spds. When mine slips, I'll upgrade it. I didn't even look at the GM/Izuzu. Do they offer a manual transmission?

I could have gone with a Dodge... But I'm glad I've stuck with Ford. Especially since I chose the 6spd. Brand loyalty is still alive, you just have to make sound choices within brand. Which ever you chose.

Old 01-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Megalodon1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Moved to the 6.0 area

Maybe a different view then FvC forum
Your a stinker Tim ...

Old 01-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Farmall Hauler
New User
Hello Fellows,

One thing to keep in mind, is that if anyone should be interested in getting the NV 5600 from Dodge in a 05 model. They had better get onto it. Dodge no longer uses NV. transmissions! DC. sold off it's share in september. Starting in 05.5 Dodge will use a G56 that is made by Mercedes CVT, (Comercial Vehicle Team). No one has any ideas of this new unit's durability, shift quality, or refinement! All we know, is that it is all aluminum. It also has a much steeper 1st gear, and a taller 6th gear. This has already sparked a good bit of discussion. Mostly in the negative range!

I'm not trying to flame, just strictly posting this to inform!!

Mark

Old 01-20-2005, 01:53 PM
B1powered
New User
[B]I'd rather have the Chevy interior, the Ford truck and the Cummins Engine............ oh well.
The 6.0 is still better than the 7.3L Try running the 7.3's at 475hp and see how long they live. The 6.0 has a much better power handling capability so far, unfortunately they didn't kill the stupid HEUI system and get a Common rail injection system.
HEUI is a great idea on paper..... real world gives different results.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:19 PM
roadturtlepsd
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hontechs
hey guys been to some Dodge diesel sites....dieselram.com dieseltruckresource.com, and dodgediesel.com ---- They mentioned that many Ford 6.0psd have been having problems --- 04s too.. not only 03s...yeh yeh they LOL big time!!!
I have a 04 PSD DRW CC and seems like they are partially right. I have had a oil leak somewhere that is almost untraceable by the dealer. I am pretty fed up with it!!! TS tranny just let go last week too(noticed they mentioned that in the Dodge sites as well..how many of us are experiencing this???)......I tow a 8K lb trailor occasionally, but nothing more. Do I race the cr@p out of it???...NO!!! I just hope that their will be no INJ problem in the near future like the 03s. We should becareful about what we say about our competition... seems like we are competeing within ourselves with Ford's decision in choosing the 6.0PSD.
FORD S/D are more appealing visually no doubt(I love how my 04 PSD drw CC looks....), but seems like we've been out for the count as far as receiving knock outs...I am confused and dazzed about all this that's happening with my 6.0PSD(I am sure not only myself, but many of us). Ford should've just stayed with the 7.3L and upgraded to a dual ball bearing turbo slightly bigger in size and a better upgraded fuel map for more boost. Where did Ford go wrong.... I hope the 05s are better... I am thinking of getting one VERY SOON!!! don't want to resort to getting a Cummins... However seems like some vetern Ford guys in here agree with the Cummins being a stouter/stronger/better overall engine altogether. Forget the Auto trannies...48re, 47re, TS, Allison,etc <--all junk from what I hear...TS for sure now by personal experience!!! or maybe i just got a lemon..don't know, but NV5600 looks to be a good choice by FAR 6speed manual would be awesome.... SEMITRUCK WANNABE!!! hehe!!!

I will be test driving a 05 PSD and a 05 Cummins this weekend...both 6speed of course...I will update if you guys want to hear about it!!! hope they will give me a good amount for trade-in on my 04PSD. hopefully $35K!!!
Let us know what you decide, how much they give you on trade in. I may be interested too.

Old 01-20-2005, 06:06 PM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jackofalltrades
I didn't even look at the GM/Izuzu. Do they offer a manual transmission?
if you speak of the Duramax the manual trans gets ten less ponies under the hood. What up with that?

Ford did that a few years ago with the SVO Taurus, the manual and auto were about ten hp apart, but it was also two differant engines also.
Maybe it is two differant Duramax engines, would not put it past GM with all the differant parts for the same vehicle.

Last edited by Crash687; 01-20-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:56 PM
04superduty
Elder User
the manual trans cant handle the torque and hp, that is why they derate it. its the same for the allison, they derate the duramax in 1st and 5th to save the trans. guess they didnt spec the allison to handle the amount the durmax can put out. oooppss

Old 01-20-2005, 09:51 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
for me, theres no competition. does anyone else make a 550?? nooope. oh ya theres that terd GM calls the 4500........ rrrriiiight

Old 01-20-2005, 10:17 PM
hontechs
New User
Originally Posted by roadturtlepsd
Let us know what you decide, how much they give you on trade in. I may be interested too.
hey I tried both today... Both Dodge and Ford diesels 6spd DRW 4dr 4x4. pretty similar in options. Ford PSD doesn't have any low end. It wakes up at about 2-2.5K rpms like a monster. Seems stronger then the 04 I have....Don't know why!!! Did FORD retune the 05 PSD... I would love it in my 04, but my 04 has tons of problems already. Interior are just slightly diff, but the ride quality and rigidness is far superiour to my 04 FORD and the 05 Dodge Cummins.

Dodge Cummins hands down the strongest lowend diesel turbo light HD truck I've ever driven nonchiped!!! Feels like a chiped 02 7.3L PSD with a 60-70hp chip. This truck is made like a real truck...comfortness is ok, ride is rougher and stiffer. Turning radius is ok.. i think it is shorter then my 04. Get it in 2nd hear at 1.3Krpms and floor it..you feel a SLIGHT lag and the turbo start to whine up...and then 1.5-1.6K rpms you are glued to the seat. Topend as in 4th&5th gear at lower RPMS the power seems to fade away. Not so aggressive at those ranges, but is still peppy... maybe the lowend gearing and power is so immense that topend higher gears seems weak... Looks I like the ford more then the dodge.

OVERALL, I would choose Ford cosmetics... The Cummins engine has to get all the credit. Both 6spds trannies felt similar to me. I'd side with the NV5600 just because it has been proven over and over again by realtime haulers. Pretty hard to shift in both trannies, but may need to break-in...

I will have to make my decision.....not sure yet...
they are giving me only $32K----- dang.. I bought it for way more at $38.5K less then a year ago....

05 Dodge Cummins 6spd DRW QC 4x4 $38K fully loaded SLT
05 Ford 6.0PSD 6spd DRW CC 4x4 $44.5K fully loaded XLT

you do the math......

Old 01-20-2005, 10:22 PM
hontechs
New User
Originally Posted by 04superduty
the manual trans cant handle the torque and hp, that is why they derate it. its the same for the allison, they derate the duramax in 1st and 5th to save the trans. guess they didnt spec the allison to handle the amount the durmax can put out. oooppss
They derate the manuals so people will buy the Auto trannies and think they are unbreakable...I see this with every new generation of Light HD trucks that come out....reworked and reinvented auto trannies... BOOOM break...manuals are "almost" rocket proof...... Most autos will break after the warranty is over and they will make big money doing repairs as well as your typical corner garage......
Business minded engineers of all the BIG 3 have failed to rate their crappy auto trannies...that is why many of our auto trannies have failed before warranty voided....thank god!!! I may just stick with 6spds from now on!!!

Quick Reply: Dodge Cummins Talking about 6.0PSD