1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Diesel, 6.0L, MUST KNOW INFO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 10:50 AM
naptown 05f250kr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1st Diesel, 6.0L, MUST KNOW INFO?

well fellas, the day is quickly approaching. my first new car (although i've bought 3 new sportbikes before) is also my first new truck, my first diesel, etc. my wife and i have a 2005 f-250 6.0L 4x4 cc sb king ranch on order, hopefully to arrive by feb. 10th. my dad owned a landscaping/grounds maintenance company when i was growing up and put the intangible ford lust in my blood. before he got out of the business, his last truck was an '88 supercab lariat diesel. i'm sure much has changed since then. the question is this: as must know info goes on our new diesel, what are the top ten facts you'd share? i'm sure i'll be passing much of this on in the years to come on the forum, but for right now, i'll take a little humble pie. assume i know nothing. if we want our 6.0L to run forever, perform at its peak, get the best mileage, if we want to be well-versed to 6.0L dangers, achieving top stock (or aftermarket) hp/torque gains, do's, do not's, etc. what should we know? let the wise men speak...

Old 01-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Tadashi
Elder User
Take a look in the Diesel section and there is a sticky for Tech links. There is a lot of good stuff in there, but here is the link I think you will want to read. It helped me out a lot.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...light=breaking+

Old 01-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Lashlaroo
Senior User
Congrats on your truck purchase. Blackstone oil reports are worth the money. The faster you drive, the lower the MPG. My wife drives ours at and around 85mph. she gets 10/12 MPG. me at 68mph it gets 16mpg. 55mph= 20Mpg. Your truck has some fine leather in it. GET the correct cleaner/protector for it, and use it monthly. 285/75/16 tires will correct the high reading speedometer. (3 to 4 MPH) and will fit on stock wheels.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:46 PM
naptown 05f250kr
New User
thanks for the link tadashi. i found that break-in article to be very helpful. i have the same question many of the other posters had: what is "moderate loading?" is that the same as asking the engine for mid-level performance. no full throttle, no maxed out payloads, etc.? i get staying around torque peak (2000rpm on the 6.0L?) during 0-100 miles. no idling for over 5 minutes under 100 miles. i understand that the first 100-1000 miles are all about rpm variation (this is very similar to what i tell my customers purchasing new honda motorcycles, dirt bikes, atv's, scooters, pwc's, etc.). and at 1000 miles i need to break bad with a full pay/towload?<O</O

hey lashlaroo, what leather conditioner do you recommend/use on your leather?

Old 01-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Lashlaroo
Senior User
I use armorall cleaner/protector in the spray bottle. I do believe your truck will come with a tag attached to the driver seat that will call out a special conditioner. I have the cheap leather, you have the nice leather "King Ranch leather rules!" you might want to get some of the stuff they say and compair contents with other products???

Old 01-20-2005, 07:13 PM
fraank
Senior User
Originally Posted by naptown 05f250kr
well fellas, the day is quickly approaching. my first new car (although i've bought 3 new sportbikes before) is also my first new truck, my first diesel, etc. my wife and i have a 2005 f-250 6.0L 4x4 cc sb king ranch on order, hopefully to arrive by feb. 10th. my dad owned a landscaping/grounds maintenance company when i was growing up and put the intangible ford lust in my blood. before he got out of the business, his last truck was an '88 supercab lariat diesel. i'm sure much has changed since then. the question is this: as must know info goes on our new diesel, what are the top ten facts you'd share? i'm sure i'll be passing much of this on in the years to come on the forum, but for right now, i'll take a little humble pie. assume i know nothing. if we want our 6.0L to run forever, perform at its peak, get the best mileage, if we want to be well-versed to 6.0L dangers, achieving top stock (or aftermarket) hp/torque gains, do's, do not's, etc. what should we know? let the wise men speak...
Congrats on your purchase! I just ordered my 250 6.0L SD Lariat 4x4 (loaded) today. I won't see it for 6 weeks ... I also am having the Ford Gold auto starting installed ... in cold weather it'll be nice to start the truck without having to walk outside in the cold. I am interested in hearing your experiences after you take delivery.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Antacus
Elder User
I am still trying to figure out a "moderate load" for an '05 6.0 PSD as mentioned in that breakin article. With a 9800lb GVRW I would guess that is 1-2k lbs?