1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superduty auto-locking 4X4 hubs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 03:47 PM
trimman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 350. They never really fixed it as reference to me replacing them again at 94K. Truck was way out of warranty but Ford ate $1200 of the $1600 bill for parts and labor. Conclusion to this mess of a truck is the happiest day of my life is when I sold it! Contractor on the barrier beach bought it, buried it under water in the surf, towed it out, fixed it up again and now want's to buy my 02 cause he can't find a used stick truck. He had no problems after the sale as he didn't put any mileage on it and mostly in 4 wheel running building materials on the beach. Another vote for manuals from people who actually beat their trucks and use 4 wheel. Almost forgot that 99 cost me at least 40K in lost revenue cause my truck IS my livelyhood plus $90 per day rental of a van so I could go to work when it was in shop. trimman

Last edited by trimman; 03-20-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:14 PM
onions
New User
From the way my truck performs and from the difference in the feel of the driving. I have had to agree that with the hubs in auto the truck is in limited slip, with the hubs locked it is in possitrack.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Tinkerbell
New User
Your Aussie f250 user

Hi.
I have a F250 2001 modle.
The automatic front hubs have excessive ware in the right side & sometimes the bearing noise comes out.
I'm wanting to know the cost of new ones over there so as to judge the costs here in Australia.
Can anyone help please???
Thanks Phil Bell.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Brad99SD
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Phill,

I just put a set of WARN premiums in my 99. I love them, and they took 10min per side to install. I paid around $180 for both on Amazon.com. Make sure the noise you are hearing isn't the actual wheel bearing/hub assembally. I had to replace mine at 140,000mi. They were $250 a piece from HubBearing.com - The Hub Bearing & Wheel Bearing #1 Provider. for mine, I don't have ABS in the front however as those are more expensive. It sounded like an airplane driving down the road and made less noise when I applied the brakes. Good luck! Let me know if you have other questions.

Brad

Old 03-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Tinkerbell
New User
Hi Brad.
Thank you for your words.
When driving the noise comes & goes. Sounds like a wheel bearing, I locked the hubs in & the noise has not come back. Removed the hub units Both sides & the drivers ( remember we drive on the other side of the road here in Australia) had far more movement with in the unit itself, than the other. I had cleaned them out when I first heard the noise as they were all dirty & the bearing was not spinning, Left side is good. I have removed the hubs & spinning the wheel the noise is not there, so I do think it is the hubs. I'll try & get in contact with the firm you have told me about & see what they can do for me, once again thank you for your words. My email address is
tinkerscreations@yahoo.com.au
Phil Bell

Old 03-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Tinkerbell
New User
Brad.
The web site for Amazon.com I have found that I'm unable to get on to them.
Is there more to the email address ????
Thanks
Phil

Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
MeanMechanic
New User
Front end 2004 F250

Hello all,
I'm hoping to solve this issue. I've read and read and i'm still alittle confused what is causing this noise like a card in bike spokes.
Here's a summary of what is going on.
1.Have owned truck for only 3 weeks....arggg!
2.Went to go for a drive with my wife and i heard kind of a clunk in the front end and then bam this sound started as described.
3.Drove another 300 feet or so and it was loud so stopped and drove back home...maybe a quarter mile at most.
4. Got on net and read alot from here about his issue and what to look for.Thanks for all the info everyone.
5.Went out to do some testing as i've never had the 4x4 on yet.
6. Checked hub locks and both on auto but passenger can't move by hand from manual to auto.Driver side worked very very easy.Freed tight side up a bit with pliers.
7. With truck running and 4x4 selector switch off with hubs in auto i was able to rotate driver side axle by hand.
8.Went to passenger that has a very stiff hub lock and went to rotate axle and i could not do it.Even when i tried with a bar in the axle joint.
9.Turned on 4x4 switch to 4Hand driver side locked in and turned switch off and after a few seconds it unlocks like it should.Nothing changed on passenger side.
10. Tried hub locks to manual and driver side locked and nothing changed on other side.
11. Took truck out for another drive with both locks on manual and sound was still there.

I'm confused here....I thought the sound was coming from the good driver side and that's the side that seems to be working like it should.Is it possible the sound is coming from the passenger side that does'nt seem the unlock regardless of what i do?
Please offer some help as i would really appreciate it.

Thanks..

Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 AM
ff1210
Senior User

subscribing

Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
That passenger side you have to do something with. Remove the hub lock. It's a single snap ring holding it in, but it might be a pain to get out.

Once it's out, see if the axle rotates. If it still doesn't rotate, the needle bearing is shot, and it's gotta come apart. If it rotates nice and smooth after that, figure out why the hub lock is stuck.

Don't know why it would be making noise, but it's possible that passenger-side hub lock is kinda-sorta locking and making noise.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 AM
gary112949
New User
replce auyo locking hubs

Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 AM
MeanMechanic
New User
TritonV10

Thanks for your reply....I' going to pull the hub lock off tonight and see if the axle rotates. Is there anything else that could keep the hub locked in other than the lock itself? After reading alot here i do understand how the bearing assembly works in there as I'm a millwright by trade. So once the hub lock is out and not in 4x4 mode the axle should rotate on the needle bearing freeing...correct? If it doesn't then the bearing is seized and locking the wheel to the axle...right?
The only thing is the noise.....is it still possible that it's coming from the driver side...all tho with the hub manual locked the noise was still there....I'll do the hub tonight and get back to what i found....thanks again and anythin else to try please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
You are correct in how you think the system works. The needle bearing rotates with the wheel. When the hub is locked, the axle stub does NOT move in relation to the needle bearing, so if the needle bearing was making noise, it would NOT make noise with the hub locked.

You might have a bad wheel bearing.

Or a rock stuck in the brake caliper. Or anything.

If you take the wheel off and spin the rotor, do you hear/feel anything?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Art How do you do that do that..

Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Tinkerbell
New User
Hi Guys!!!!
I need to know some sellers over in the states that will do business with someone in Australia for auto hubs that suit a F250 2001 model.
Can you give me thew email address so I can contact them please
Phil Bell

Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Tinkerbell
New User
Hi Guys!!!!
I need to know some sellers over in the states that will do business with someone in Australia for auto hubs that suit a F250 2001 model.
Can you give me thew email address so I can contact them please
Phil Bell

Quick Reply: Superduty auto-locking 4X4 hubs