2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Airaid, K&N, or Volant
Airaid
45.45%
K&N
36.36%
Volant
18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

K&N vs. Airaid

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 06:33 AM
killermach1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N vs. Airaid

Who has either a complete K&N intake system, complete Airaid intake system, or Volant System on their 2004 F-150 3v 5.4 liter? How do you like what you have and or which of these would you reccomend? I have used K&N filtercharger on my 03 Mach 1 and was considering one on my F-150 but I hear some good things about the Airaid, and Volant Systems too. Any help would be great.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:26 AM
BlkButy
Elder User
Basing my vote on what I have have read over the last 6 months!

Old 01-10-2005, 11:18 AM
MotorPsycho
Senior User
In the past, I've always had K&N's, usually just a filter.

This time with the sub-optimal snorkel to deal with, I wanted a complete system. The Volant is a completely enclosed system. I believe the others rely on the hood to complete the filter box. It seemed to me that this could result in loud intake noise in the cab.

I went with a Volant, installed it a couple of weeks ago and love it. The fit was perfect so the install went well. It made the intake and exhaust mildly louder, but added power and from what I can tell increased my gas mileage a bit. I qualify that statement because I only have one data point. My gas mileage was over .5 mpg better than my previous three tanks under similar driving conditions.

Unfortunately, 1 data point is all I'll ever have with the Volant. I installed an open muffler this weekend.

The Volant has resulted in one check engine instance since I installed it. My truck sent a fuel/air mixture code about a week ago. This is not an issue for me since I can read them and turn the light off. I suspect the other complete replacement kits can result in codes as well.

Enjoy.

Last edited by MotorPsycho; 01-10-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:53 PM
HamRadio
Freshman User
Airaid rocks!

Had my Airaid on for over 6 months. No problems, period!
I get my tuning done from Troy*r Performance and the Airaid is
the only intake that made ANY apprecable HP increase on the dyno. And they've tested them all. Its a very good combination with my Magnaflow Cat Back, underdrive pullys, ignition plasma booster and Xcallibrator tune.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Toreador
Elder User
I vote True Flow since I want to keep the same Air filter box. And use Wix air filters.

Old 02-01-2005, 12:49 PM
spc
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MotorPsycho
The Volant has resulted in one check engine instance since I installed it. My truck sent a fuel/air mixture code about a week ago. This is not an issue for me since I can read them and turn the light off. I suspect the other complete replacement kits can result in codes as well.
Volant has a redesigned air duct for the fuel/air mixture code problem.