Are those dent removal products any good

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 01:48 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are those dent removal products any good

Hey guys are those dent removal products on TV any good. They put thing on a dent an pop the dent right out. It looks so easy off course its TV. Should I waste my money on these things.? Anybody have these products? Thanks for the input.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Aekisu
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<cr>
I haven't used one personally but I suspect they will work in some cases.

I wouldn't expect miracles though. Dents cause the metal to be stretched and when you pull the dent back into position, the extra stretched metal has to go somewhere. This results in a wave in the metal.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:11 PM
bigjace8
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ding king

i seen an auto body instructor go on the news for some consumer reports. he did some examples and in some cases it worked great. in others what it actually did was remove the dent about 1/2 way and put in 2 small dents where it was mounted. they also did it to a panel that was repainted and the adhesive pulled the paint off the part without removing the dent. best of luck to you

Old 01-12-2005, 04:16 PM
sleepysal
Senior User
Do not use it on a repainted car/truck

Old 01-13-2005, 02:33 AM
1BadF150
Senior User
they are right, it would have to be on a tight, flat space... as in, if the little ding is in the middle of your long and tall, flat side of the bed, chances are you are going to do more harm than good... so its best to use it only on well supported places (places that dont flex easy to the touch) and they have to be flat.. (stuff like this doesnt work well over curves) and no, i wouldnt do it to a repainted car, unless the paint was done properly by an established painter, with PPG quality laquer paint (no urethane)

Old 11-04-2006, 12:28 AM
thefarelaneman
Posting Guru
dent or ding

If the metal has been streched the do it yourself kits will not fix it like it never happined. If the metal is just pushed in it may be poped back out . You have to determine where the "stress points" of the dent are BEFORE you try to fix it. Every dent is differant.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:16 AM
kenseth17
Elder User
I've never used one, but laugh at it, can't imagine it working. But then again, I seen some wierd inventions in this trade that actually work. Never would of thought the pinstripe removal disk would work just looking at it, but it does. I think it would work in limited situations that pop out easy, specially on newer cars, many that have sheetmetal so thin you can push in with a finger. Suction cups have been used for years for easy dents to pop out. Large flat panels with crowns, bodylines or creases holding the dent in, good luck. If you have a lot of dings and want to avoid painting, I think you would be better off talking to a paintless dent guy with some experience. They can work miracles on some dents. A tough dent that is creased and in a spot that will be tough to get out without a good pull or a lot of metal working, you are pretty much stuck working the metal and repainting the panel. Paint isn't cheap these days so would probably run a couple hundred bucks at least to fix some dents and paint to match at a typical shop that do it as a business.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
I did body repair for a while, and when I see those products I just laugh. Yes they will work and no they wont work. It depends on your situation. If the panel is just pushed in, it will work. But if you hit the panel with a hammer(like on TV), then try the tool, it will partially work. You might get the dent out, but there will still be a slight crease in the metal. When you hit metal, it stretches it.