Generic Super Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 04:48 PM
jamiesan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generic Super Charger?

GUYS, bear with me for a min. & let's suppose I take the inlet hose of my stock 95 smog pump and plumb it up to a fancy air filter , then run the outlet hose into my air intake tube for the engine , in front of the mass air sensor. Would this be a cheapo-worth while super charge of sorts?! I'm currently installing some BBK underdrive pulleys & electric fan, but it burns my a-- that I'm still turning a stock sized pulley on a pump that I have dumping air into my pass side wheel well.( I disconected the out put when I got my duals on) I know , I know WHAT ABOUT EMMISSIONS? - don't care. What do yall think? DO it? No? P.S.- if anyone knows the volume & or psi of these pumps I'd love to know! Thanx to all!!!

Old 01-04-2005, 10:25 PM
FlooredMazda
New User
If it's the AIR pump (Air Induction Reaction) you're talking about, I don't think the output is anywhere near what you need to provide a measurable level of boost.
Then again, I can't see that you would hurt anything by trying.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:20 PM
fbodyfan
Senior User
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the inlet hose SUCKS air doesnt it? You don't really want to suck air away from your engine. I'm assuming, from the context, that it blows air. Not sure what you need, probably a PCM re-flash, but try this: Take out your air filter and expose your MAF. Blow very softly into the MAF. Notice what happens. It almost dies, since the engine is running too rich and the throttle is closed. Your MAF will have to be re-calibrated to take the boost, but I don't see why it wouldn't work...

Old 01-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Seems the "air" pump just pumps air into the exhaust to lean it out.

I don't think that it will come even close to producing BOOST. It would have to be spun really fast, then of course it would lock up from the bearings not being able to handle the speed.

I'd put it in the negible to nil possibility of improvement category. For it to even TRY to produce boost, it would have to be sealed to intake with no other possibility for air entry. Any other way would allow it to just blow into the atmosphere.

A simple ram air from the headlight bucket would produce a more noticable improvement(at higher road speed of course).

Old 01-05-2005, 06:20 PM
DYERS6-71
Senior User
it won't work don't waste your time with the air pump...

Old 01-07-2005, 08:59 PM
FlooredMazda
New User
So, there you have it: I'm not the only one who doubts that the AIR pump (smog pump) will provide any noticeable boost.
I've had some time to think about your other concern, namely, that you're wasting horsepower driving a pump that you're not using. Slowing down the pump by changing pulleys is a good idea, but here are some others that you may not have considered:
i Disable the pump so that it no longer moves air. I've never had one apart, so I'm not sure how, but the following ideas might work:
a) In the case of a rotary vane pump, remove the vanes and re-assemble the pump.
b) It might be possible to press the rotor off the shaft and then re-assemble the pump without it.
ii Is it possible to use a shorter belt and route it so that the pump doesn't turn at all?
iii Bore out the pump pulley to accept a bearing that fits the pump shaft. (Easy for me to say as I work at a lathe every day). In this way, the pulley will spin freely without turning the pump; in other words, you will have an idler that looks like an air pump.