2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odds of winning in DSB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Swatnducks
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odds of winning in DSB?

What are my odds of winning a DSB case if I have not allowed the dealership attempt to fix my "vibe" problem?

Long story made shorter:
1) Purchased 04' F150 4X4 Screw through dealership transfer (color not on my dealership's lot), therefore, I had to pay (sign contract) before they would have the vehicle delivered.
2) Truck had noted "vibration" problem as mentioned in many other threads.
3) Brought truck back...service dept. balanced tires (ALL FOUR OUT OF BALANCE..1.00, .75, 1.00, 1.50 oz's) and someone from the dealership drove the truck from one location to the other during transfer. Funny it wasn't mentioned.
4) Service dept acknowledged problem and said a TSB is pending. Told to just wait for it.
5) Salesman, Service Mgr., Gen Mgr and regional Ford rep acknowledges that my vehicle has the vibe problem.
6) Gen Mgr. won't swap truck for another since I have already registered it with the DMV.
7) Regional Ford rep offered extended warranty and 1 mo. payment for my inconvenence but did not have authority to offer swap.

This is where I stand. I would like a substitution of collateral since the problem "should" have been known by my dealer. (I also wonder if they unbalanced the tire to mask the obvoious). I also want the truck to drive just like it does right now in the case a DSB member wants to drive it.

Makes me sick to think I got stuck with a truck (through dealer transfer) that one dealership couldn't sell off his/her lot and the other delaership made a sale that they won't stand behind.

Any advice or opinions on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:03 PM
toypuller
Senior User
O.K. here goes,

I'm trying not to beat a dead horse by responding to the DSB threads here, I'm only trying to return the favor as this site gave me a ton of info when I had my vibration issues. If it seems overboard-sorry-that is not my intent.

The best chance you will have with either the DSB or Lemon Law is to meet the required # of service attempts and still have a problem. If you refuse to let them try you will most likely lose. In some states prior to any further action (DSB or Lemon Law) you are required to give the manufacturer one final repair attempt. Document everything.

When you bring the truck for service make sure they note the problem exactly as you tell it to them. Saying one visit that have a vibration in the steering wheel and then saying during the next visit that you have a vibration in the driver's seat can actually be listed as 2 different problems. Put the problem in writing, give it to the service person and keep a copy for yourself. When you get the service ticket after the repair attempt make sure it notes exactly what you wrote. If they refuse the repair, make sure that is noted as well.

When you talk to someone in person follow up with a letter restating what was said, send all correspondence certified with a return receipt.

Stay calm, keep your cool, don't flare off!!!! Don't give anybody a reason to say that you were unreasonable and that was why they stopped helping you. While it is obviously very frustrating to you try to keep in mind that Ford made this truck not the service dept.

If the dealer acted unethicaly it does not change the steps you have to take. That matter may be better handled through an attorney. In some cases a letter from a lawyer can loosen some previously dug in positions.

Final advise:

Document EVERYTHING!!!!! Keep a diary of who, what, when and how. Document every call, every visit, write letters and send everything certified. Save every service ticket.

Learn all you can about DSB and Lemon Law. The are advantages and disadvantages to both. Information in the right hands is a very powerful weapon! Know ahead of time what you are talking about. Don't guess or assume anything, don't take mine or anybody elses word as gospel. Use it for what it is, an opinion trying to point you in the right direction.

One last thing-keep us posted of your progress as there will be others in your position and the information can prove valuable. Don't go to every Ford site and post how Ford screwed you and how your dealer is a low-life. I've seen others just go over the top and it reduces their ability to get help and detracts from a very real problem that is out there.

Good luck and keep up the fight.

Last edited by toypuller; 12-29-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Swatnducks
Freshman User
Sounds like I need to let them attempt to fix per latest TSB. Makes me sick to think I payed full price for a broken truck. Even worse, I have this uneasy feeling that they {the dealership(s)} knew it. I guess I should accept the offer of extended warranty and 1 month payment that the Ford regional rep offerred and then go from there. Then, if the next attempt to fix the problem is unsuccessful, I can go the DSB route. By my count, I may already have two down with one to go. I've made two visits to the service department (1st to balance the tires and the second they said just wait on the pending TSB...no fix offerred/attempted that time). The dealership says they will stand 100% behind me as I pursue this issue as long as I go after Ford direct. Thanks for the advice.