Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Excursion front hubs won't lock in.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Bananarama
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hubs

Jeff, I have a 2000 X. it has the auto as well as the locking hubs.....I hope they performed the service bulliten on my truck when the replaced the hubs. I would hate for it to be a waste of parts...

Dave

Old 03-03-2005, 10:05 PM
X 03 Jeff
Junior User
Bananarama, it would stand to reason that they would but, if your in doubt about it ask them if they did it !!!
and let us know the out come.
Good luck
Jeff

Old 03-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Bananarama
Tuned
The Service advisor was not there to ask. Nor could I see my old hubs. No one could find them. However a tech came out when i was asking, he had heard the argument in the garage from the warranty inspector and the whole entire tech staff..and lets just say morons...if you all want the complete horrific story about the fight I had with the warranty company just let me know. Moving on, the tech took me back to parts and opened the box of some new hubs. 248.00 a piece. OUCH. there is simply just an o-ring that makes up the seal for these things. and its not even a thick one. it is very thin. I am not sure if they did the bullitin but I am sure they probably did. but they are finnally replaced. YAY.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:15 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

Ok all.. I see what you've all written... and me, well I'm at wits end. Here's why;

I've got an '00 Exco with 50k miles.
The hubs are the "auto / lock" style... and have given me problems from day one. Let alone the relay under the dash (a $10 part - $225 in labor to troubleshoot and 10seconds to replace) to engage the 4x off the dash switch.

I've come to find the vacuum lines have never really worked, correctly.
So I've given up and ALWAYS expect to get out to engage 4x4. No biggie.

With that said, I know have a hub that's gone bad.
It simply has to be turned with a plier. Now, I've pulled both sides off, and cleaned them out with a 'cleaner'... and still, very rough. Come to find out, my hubs (your's may too) have an outer seal that is NOT replaceable. That seal is out by the "auto/lock" dial. Now, it's so torn that it'll creep out whenever I try and turn the dial. I simply have to tear away the pieces as it shows itself... and then continue manually turning with my plier.

Cost to replace each is yes, about $220 from the dealer.
Now I read some of you are replacing your's with the WARN or SUPERWINCH versions... (premium). However, when I too call Warn they tell me they don't have one for my type of hub. The stock hub on the Exco looks like an drinking cup... not a hockey puck. (the hockey puck version with six allen head bolts is the older version I had on my F-series from what I remember). The drinking cup look that mine has is anchored to the wheel with a snap-ring. NO BOLTS. And is not serviceable! I simply remove my hub cap, then pull the snap ring. With the snap ring removed... I can simply pull the "Auto/Lock" hub from the wheel (or really the rotor/wheel assembly).

My question to you guys that have replaced your HUBS... with the Warn or Superwinch versions... WHAT kind of hub did you have to replace?? The kind that's held in by 6 screws?? OR with a snap ring??

I don't want to go to the dealer and pay $220 for a darn hub... when I possibly could get a nicer set of "manual locking hubs" for my rig for the same price. Let alone the junk yard wanted $150 for a used hub...!!

HELP!!!
Anyone have part numbers or pictures???

Old 03-20-2005, 06:59 AM
bluerage
Junior User
I had the same problem (check my earlier post/reply). I went with the warn premiums on my diesel 02 X. I think they were about $150. Just plug the Vaccuum line. I'll get you the part number if you need. If you need pictures, E-mail me and I'll send what you need. Just note that these hubs are about 1/4 inch shorter in overall lenght, I don't mind. The $400 savings made up for that, and I'm sure that these won't ever give me a problem.bluerage@verizon.net

Old 03-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Bananarama
Tuned
I had mine done underwarranty. Twice...thank god. Now I have about anouther years warranty on these hubs. We will see how long they last. The dealer tells me that I should turn the auto lock manually 2-3 times a week to prevent crap from building up behind the ***...

Old 03-20-2005, 03:08 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by bluerage
I had the same problem (check my earlier post/reply). I went with the warn premiums on my diesel 02 X. I think they were about $150. Just plug the Vaccuum line. I'll get you the part number if you need. If you need pictures, E-mail me and I'll send what you need. Just note that these hubs are about 1/4 inch shorter in overall lenght, I don't mind. The $400 savings made up for that, and I'm sure that these won't ever give me a problem.(Click Here to find out why email addresses are removed from posts.)
Your email was stripped... But send me an email using 'my user name' <MY name user>at Gmail.com ...should work. I'd love to see them installed and the pics if you have any. Length is no biggie to me... as I don't run hub caps anyway. AND THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 03-20-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:38 AM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Anyone?

Part numbers and photos if you've got them!!

Old 05-24-2005, 07:19 PM
MikeRizz
Senior User
I just had these done under warranty, $580 ! Glad I didn't have to pay that.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:50 AM
SpareTime
Senior User
JohnnyAirtime -

What is this Relay you speak of?? How can you tell if it's bad??

My 4WD hasn't worked for about 6 months - to lazy to trace the problem. This summer I am going to investigate and solve the mystery.

A $10 realy sounds like a good cheap place to start. When I flip the switch for 4WD, it does nothing and makes no click sounds.

Thanks for any info you can share.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:22 AM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by SpareTime
JohnnyAirtime -

What is this Relay you speak of?? How can you tell if it's bad??

My 4WD hasn't worked for about 6 months - to lazy to trace the problem. This summer I am going to investigate and solve the mystery.

A $10 realy sounds like a good cheap place to start. When I flip the switch for 4WD, it does nothing and makes no click sounds.

Thanks for any info you can share.
In my 2000 Excursion, under the hood on the drivers side, just in front of the main panel of fuses there were two black relays under a cap. One of those two relays were bad. It took Ford 3 days to find them, and diagnose them as bad.... once done, it was a 5min fix (and some of that was the technician walking to get the relays)

I had no dash lights, no clicking, no nada... now it works fine!

Old 05-25-2005, 09:02 AM
SpareTime
Senior User
That sounds exactly like what I have......nothing!!! No lights, clicks, or 4WD.....I'll have to check that out. I have an '02 - hopefully it's the same setup.

Now, does anyone know how to check a relay???

Old 05-25-2005, 09:14 AM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by SpareTime
That sounds exactly like what I have......nothing!!! No lights, clicks, or 4WD.....I'll have to check that out. I have an '02 - hopefully it's the same setup.

Now, does anyone know how to check a relay???
(check it)... replace it! lol!

I'm sure you'd be ecstatic that was your problem. I was. However I paid the $225 or so since they quoted me 2.5hrs to do the labor! I complained, and my advisor said that was what the book showed. Ya right! Oh well, after 3 days and many calls to Ford via the tech... it was done.

When I was in Baja Mex, I needed 4x to get out of a spot. I went to switch it over and 'poof' ... I thought I saw the lights come on and hear the engaging... however, it never did light the dash or engage. I think it failed at the time I tried to engage my dash switch.

To test a relay, you can connect the 12v switched side to 12v and the ground to ... well, ground. It should 'click'. If not... it's burnt out or simply too corroded to switch over. I don't know if the relay has it's config like a normal auto relay printed on the bottom of it... but to replace them is just cheap insurance for $20.

Hope that all helps and you can see through some of my sarcasm.

John

Old 05-25-2005, 01:44 PM
lockdoc600
Junior User
There are often multiple relays in that black box and you can switch one with another to see if you have a relay problem.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:57 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Ok all...

A few posts ago quoted here;

Originally Posted by johnnyairtime
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by bluerage
I had the same problem (check my earlier post/reply). I went with the warn premiums on my diesel 02 X. I think they were about $150. Just plug the Vaccuum line. I'll get you the part number if you need. If you need pictures, E-mail me and I'll send what you need. Just note that these hubs are about 1/4 inch shorter in overall lenght, I don't mind. The $400 savings made up for that, and I'm sure that these won't ever give me a problem.(Click Here to find out why email addresses are removed from posts.)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Your email was stripped... But send me an email using 'my user name' <MY user name>at Gmail.com ...should work. I'd love to see them installed and the pics if you have any. Length is no biggie to me... as I don't run hub caps anyway. AND THANK YOU!!!
Does ANYONE have any Warn hubs (Premium design) that they've purchased to replace the stock Excursion hubs.... and you may have pictures????

Here's a picture of the hub I need to replace.... however, Warn can't tell me if the "Premium" hub replaces that one or not!!! Neighter can most local off-road places?! ...WTF???

Let me know!!!

Quick Reply: 2000 Excursion front hubs won't lock in.