Vacuum Lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:46 PM
JimR500
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Vacuum Lines

Q#1: Does anyone out there have a vacuum hose routing diagram for a 351CJ 4V C6?? The machine is a 1972 Ranchero: big air cleaner with two vac lines, plus tranny modulator, heater, brake booster, and perhaps others. There is no easy way to see/tell where to route/connect one of the vacuum motors on the air cleaner.

Q#2: What is a good way to ID a leak in a vacuum hose?? There is a whistle that can be heard at idle speed and my ear is not good nuff to find out where it is coming from.

Q#3: Does anyone know of a good sub for the hose that connects the air cleaner and charcoal cannister?? Or where to buy a Ford hose??

Old 01-01-2005, 09:14 PM
grclark351
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
one way to find a vac leak is to disconnect and plug the source one at a time until you don't hear the whistle. and you can attach a vac gauge to the first source you diconnect for a visual aid in diagnosing. i have the 72 factory manuals but i don't remember seeing the vac diagram? i'm sure it's in there somewhere. any vac line(s) in particular? it could be just the carb drawing air, do you hear it with the air cleaner on, off or both?

Old 01-01-2005, 09:46 PM
krehmkej
Senior User
Some vacuum leaks can be almost impossible to locate. A pro I know uses a "smoker" that fills ene engine with smoke and make sit easier to find leaks.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:22 PM
JimR500
Freshman User
The vac leak was heard with the air cleaner on and there was no way to tell which line was whistling. The whistle was coming from the top, rear of the engine near the vac manifold. I now have a vac guage and expect to try the steps suggested by grclark. The factory shop manual set [4 books] I have does not show vac diagrams and a CD from Detroit Iron also does not show the lines.