Connecting in with the lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:26 PM
RoyalFord
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Connecting in with the lights

What is the best way to patch into the lightning system. So like when you turn the headlights on another light that I have bought will turn on.

I mean I know where to find the wires and all it just gets so confusing under the dash. I just don't want to patch into the fuse box. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 12-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
What kind of light are you patching in? Where do you want to mount it? If it's large you need a relay. If it's small, and in the interior, you might want to tie it into the instrument light circuit, so it will dim with the interior lights.

Old 12-17-2004, 10:15 AM
RoyalFord
Elder User
It is a marker light that will go in the back of the truck. It is just two leds. No, I am not going to use a relay. I just want to connect to the lighting circuit. I know I am going to have to run a wire from the front of the truck to the back and I will just ground it in the rear. Just as finding the right wire under the dash is my biggest issue. Whenever the parking lights come on I would like it to come on.

I mean I am no idiot I know I can go out there and do it I just thought I would get some tips before I tackle it.

Old 12-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
I am just trying to zero in and have a mental picture of what you are doing. If you are going to be adding marker lights to the tailgate area, all you need to do is splice into the license plate light wires. These same wires also go to the taillights. I am not sure about a 1998, but Ford always used dark brown for the marker lamps on the earlier trucks.

Old 12-18-2004, 12:34 AM
RoyalFord
Elder User
Yea. I guess that would be a good idea. I didn't even think about that. Awesome.

Thanks a lot franklin