2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not warrantied! - Mass Airflow Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 06:52 PM
Black2004FX4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont go to novato ford

they obviously dont care much about losing us as customers along with everyone we are associated with. they are going to lose much more money in the long run than they would have by replacing my sensor. as u might have guessed, i had to pay ALL 376$ which i know could be worse but labor was 200 of it...! so anyway... i will be going to another dealership from now on and hopefully they will treat me and my family a little nicer. i spoke to almost everyone who had any sort of power there and was treated like they werent even affected by my problem. The truck was fixed and seems to be back to normal but then again they could have just turned off the check engine light..

anyway, i am kind of upset it had to result this way but theres not much i can do (besides scream a little at the service rep - kinda made me feel better).

if ANYONE encounters this same problem PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT. my letters are on their way to the people of ford so i still have hope of getting my money returned.

and remember- keep those engine bays clean!

Old 12-10-2004, 08:49 PM
rebellangley
Freshman User
I Thought This Was Part Of The Emission System And They Had To Warrant It Under The Law?

Old 12-10-2004, 09:04 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rebellangley
I Thought This Was Part Of The Emission System And They Had To Warrant It Under The Law?
By law, Ford only has to cover what is written in their warranty statements.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:14 PM
rebellangley
Freshman User
Look Under The Emmisions Warranty By Federal Law It Has To Meet Emission Standards Even Longer Than The 3/36. Especially In California. The Maf Sensor Is Part Of The Emission Control.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:20 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a link to this law? As I read what you wrote, the vehicle must pass federal emissions guidelines for at least 3/36, not have the manufacturer warrant a part for that. If I drove my truck into a lake, I dont expect Ford to give me any parts under warranty due to water damage.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:37 PM
05F250Fan
Freshman User
Smile

K&N filter? Any aftermarket parts will void a warranty. If you want to throw a warranty out the window, and if you're rich, do anything you want. Otherwise, don't complain.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:42 PM
05F250Fan
Freshman User
Smile

Originally Posted by WheelMA1
Do you have a link to this law? As I read what you wrote, the vehicle must pass federal emissions guidelines for at least 3/36, not have the manufacturer warrant a part for that. If I drove my truck into a lake, I dont expect Ford to give me any parts under warranty due to water damage.
Might try looking in the warrany booklet.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:02 PM
jdwheels
Senior User
Were you still under 3/36 factory warrenty? I have never had any problem with anything while under the factory warrenty.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:22 PM
khendrix
Senior User
200 LABOR COST TO REPLACE A MAF@!@!@@@?!@?!@?@?@ Wow. I would prolly punch someone for telling me that. It took them all of 5 mins to replace it.

Old 12-11-2004, 12:40 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
go to a new dealer my dealer will replace anything and everything no question asked go back to the dealership where you bought it

Old 12-11-2004, 03:03 AM
Black2004FX4
Senior User
it is the dealership where i bought it.. never again though.
and YES, i do have an aftermarket air filter (airaid) which gave them an easy out not surprisingly... I am not surprised though and i know i should have switched air filters before bringing it in but i was not expecting any of this to happen the way it did.
i agree they should warantee it and dont assume it was driven into a lake because it WAS NOT. i cherrish my truck way too much to hurt it. i have taken the responsibility to pay the bill and will learn a lesson from this.
im not mad at ford.. im mad as the &%@#*!@ who work at my local dealership.

i just hope i can help other people out by telling them my story and what to be careful of. hope everyone can benefit from my loss.

-Black2004FX4

Old 12-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Troll45
Senior User
#1. Did you just get a replacement filter to go in the housing? Or #2. Did you replace the entire fresh air plenum with one of those open and visible filter setups? If you went with step #2 then you altered the system in a way that voids the warranty for water intrusion into the system. It will even void the (they even show it off-road in their brochure) situation, because it has been altered. If you didn't alter the system and you went through enough mud and water to allow it to get in the fender well and travel through three to four feet of fresh air tube into the bottom of the air filter housing, then upwards through the filter and then to the mass air filter. Thats not ( it was the dirt and water that came off my tires to the engine. simple as that.) as simple as that. I am not saying you abused it or anything. But anytime you do something with a vehicle like taking it offroad whether it is designed to be offroad or not. You take the chance of something going wrong and voiding the warranty.
Should the warranty cover a front axle bent back below the drivers seat, because Leroy's brochure showed it going offroad, I dont think so. He hit a three foot deep pothole.
Take the Lump and move on, You will get em back sooner or later.

Old 12-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Armada
Senior User
If you were using a stock filter and your factory intake is clean inside, then it would not matter how much dirt or mud there is on the outside of the engine, intake or MAF.

But with the AirRaid, you may have a problem. It would still be important to know if the intake is clean on the inside. Take a digital camera to the dealer right now and take photos of everything, if you know the inside tract of the intake is clean.

If the inside of the intake is dirty, dusty, muddy, you may have a bigger problem - engine contamination. That means wear, premature engine failure. If that's the case, you need to figure out how that stuff got in there. Was the AirRaid installed correctly? Is there an air leak somewhere? At a minimum you are going to need an immediate oil and filter change if the inside of that intake is dirty and hope nothing worse has happened.

But $200 labor is outrageous to replace the MAF. Are they charging you to remove the AirRaid, which I assume is the cone type system and put the factory system back on? That might be more reasonable, but still seems high.

BTW I just sold a '97 Expedition 5.4 with 107,000 miles on it. It ran a K&N drop-in filter since the first week. It worked well, kept the intake clean, did not foul the MAF. Engine was as strong as on day one.

If the intake is clean, take photos of everything. Another poster's advice to go to another dealer sounds like a good option, too.

Last edited by Armada; 12-11-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:20 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
just switch it and go to a new dealer and play dumb about it if they ask don't admit yourself into there trap don't say anything that can hurt your chances

Old 12-11-2004, 03:21 PM
MX2004
Senior User
Originally Posted by 05F250Fan
K&N filter? Any aftermarket parts will void a warranty. If you want to throw a warranty out the window, and if you're rich, do anything you want. Otherwise, don't complain.
From the K&N Website
Vehicle Warranty

Contrary to what you may have heard or read, in the USA, a K&N Filtercharger will not void your vehicle warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, passed in 1975, prohibits a manufacturer from conditioning its warranty of a consumer product upon the consumer using any article or service (other than one provided without charge under the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name, unless expressly authorized by the Federal Trade Commission. If the manufacturer does not provide air filters free of charge, they cannot void the vehicle's warranty simply because you have installed an aftermarket air filter.

I had a K&N filter when they replaced my MAF and O2 sensor and they didn't say anything.

Quick Reply: Not warrantied! - Mass Airflow Sensor