2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little grease and clunk gone!!...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 01:14 PM
admorris
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little grease and clunk gone!!...

Just wanted to thank all of you who pointed out the fix for the rear end clunk. I too had that clunk in my 04' 150 and decided to take out the driveshaft to grease the slip yoke. Wow what a difference! There is absolutely no clunk now whatsoever and the fix only took about 45 mins. or so. I didn't even have to jack the truck up to get to the shaft.

thanks again for the quality posts!

by the way, I couldn't get my hand on the teflon grease as it is Sunday and the Ford dealers are closed...so I bought a pound of the Valvoline Synthetic grease. It's easy enough to do that I wouldn't mind if I had to do it every 6 months or so to keep everything right.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:20 PM
boomer08
Senior User
Mine wasn't a clunk but a shudder. I took it in for the reflash and told them about it but naturally it would only do it after sitting all night and then would only do it for the first two stop signs after pulling out of the garage. Never had a chance to leave it over night at the dealership. Now with 10500 miles on it the shudder has disappeared. Call me crazy but it is gone.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:03 PM
psy61
Freshman User
I've had mine in 4 times for the shudder. They replaced the lubricant and added a 'modifier' whatever that is... On the second visit they replaced the clutch pack. On the third they gutted the pumpkin and installed all new parts, including another clutch pack. The last time in they teflon greased the slip yolk and the shudder stopped dead in its tracks. It's now been 200 miles (1800 total) and it seems to be there again. I noticed it twice today. One of the times my wife pointed it out to me (then she quickly tried to change the subject) I love this truck, but this shudder problem is making me insane. I've been taking it back to the dealer I purchased it from (60 miles away) and they've been giving me a rental each time. I think if it gets any worse I'm going to try a more local dealer and see if they have any better insight as to what is happening to make it shudder. It actually both shudders and clunks. It depends how rapidly I accelerate.

Frustrated in Jersey...
j

Old 12-10-2004, 08:11 PM
admorris
Senior User
I keep hearing people talk about their "shuddering" trucks. What exactly is the problem? After 2600 miles, I can honestly say that my truck is as problem free as a vehicle can get (knock on wood). The only thing I did was what I mentioned in the earlier post...grease the slip yoke. I still cannot believe I ever owned the Titan. That truck was in an entirely different league, although I'm sure they will get their first year problems fixed eventually.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:19 PM
psy61
Freshman User
When I pull away from a stop, even with light acceleration, the drivetrain shudders about three or four times and you can feel it through the whole truck. Sometimes it feels like a pop in the middle of a couple of other shudders. It's really quite annoying. My fourth visit to the dealer was point at which they greased the slip yolk. When the mechanic and the service manager got in the truck and I drove around the block, I was really happy as it had stopped completely. That was a couple weeks ago. It seems to have reappeared now.

I've talked to quite a few people at work that have the same truck and haven't come across anyone with the same problem yet. Just me.
j

Old 12-10-2004, 11:16 PM
polaris4x4ex
Freshman User
O4 Lariat Screw 4x4 I Also Had The Shudder Problem, They Changed The Clutch Packs And It Was Fine For About 4,000 Miles And Then I Noticed That It Felt Like The Transmission Was Slipping When I Take Off Or Give It Alot More Gas After I Was Moving. They Said They Had 2 Guys Drive My Truck And Didn't Notice Anything Wrong, So I Drove It And Pointed It Out To Them And Than They Said They Felt It. (slip And Slight Clunk) They Greased The Slip Yoke And Now It Is Fine. Hope Everything Is Fixed Before The 3/36 Is Up. Or They Still Fix It If Something Goes Wrong With There Quick Fix To Get You Beyond The Warranty And Then Find The Real Problems. Which Shouldn't Be Any On A $40,000.00 Truck.

Old 12-11-2004, 06:46 PM
wfofishing
Freshman User
how exactly are you greasing the slip yoke?

Old 12-11-2004, 08:35 PM
admorris
Senior User
Basically like buttering a piece of bread.

Old 12-12-2004, 08:11 AM
psy61
Freshman User
Anyone have any pics of the process? I really haven't looked under the truck yet, and would like to see just what it is they're doing under there.

Thanks
j

Old 12-14-2004, 02:00 PM
TimRob
Freshman User
I'm with psy61, please post pics of the process. A step-by-step description would also be helpful. I'd like to save some money by doing this myself but have never touched the drivetrain.