New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto locking hubs

Old 09-02-2001, 07:15 PM
James114
New User
Auto locking hubs

I have a 95 Ford Ranger with the 4.0l. I have the auto locking hubs (which i do not like). Does anybody know anything about how to work on them or what would be wrong when one will not engage. I have not had any trouble with them before, but the left one will lock in sometimes, but for the most part it will do nothing but click, then when you take it out of 4x4 it sounds like the front end is going to come out of it. If anyone knows what could be broke or what might be wrong, please let me know. How much are a set of manual hubs for my truck from Ford?

Old 09-02-2001, 10:18 PM
yampy4trux
Freshman User
Auto locking hubs

Have not worked on locking hubs on Fords but I had a quick look in my Haynes manual and it says they are non servicable and you need several specal tools to work on them. You might want to pick up a service manual before you go much further. Got my Haynes one at Autozone for around $20 and its been a good investment.

Wish I could have been more help but the manual should help.

Mike.

Old 09-02-2001, 11:32 PM
Boss_358
Posting Guru

Auto locking hubs

Any thing is serviceable. What you need to do is throw them auto hubs away and get a set of some manual lock outs. Warn is the only campany that I know offhand who makes them. I think they make the stock manual hubs that actually come on the trucks when they were new. I think you should still be able to go with manuals on the 95.

People who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

Old 10-13-2001, 11:03 PM
Larry1799
New User
Auto locking hubs

I have a 94 Ranger and a 93 Explorer. I experienced this on both vehicles. Once after a tire rotation and the second after new tires were installed. The problem was simply that the hubs come off or can get out of alignment when you remove the lug nuts. Take the rims off and make sure the hub is sitting correctlyand stays put while you put the rim back on.

I am sure this is what your problem is because it does sound like you just ground up your front end.