2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V. Fix on the way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 05:10 PM
redfishjones
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V. Fix on the way?

Friday before Thanksgiving week, left my f150 at the dealers to have a new drive shaft installed (fix for vibration). Well...........a week later I returned to dealer only to discover that NOTHING had been done...nor had they tried to call my house (I was out of town).

It seems that they ordered the driveshaft from Ford but got a last minute... "STOP EVERYTHING" order from Ford. They claim that Ford has told them that there is a new fix on the way and it will require additonal parts. Now exactly what "on the way" means............supposedly........in a week or 2. Hmmmmmmmm

The dealer service manager apologized and said that they would contact us as soon as the new "vibration cure" is sent to them . Of course........we need to tow our camper over the holidays and silly us.....don't want to pull it by hand.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh.

So........is ther a NEW fix on the way?

Dealer says he has several trucks in the same spot.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Dunk
Elder User
Dec 12 is what I heard for the cure to be passed down to the dealers.. I read that on here somewhere.....

Old 12-02-2004, 06:03 PM
fonemann
New User
Originally Posted by redfishjones
Friday before Thanksgiving week, left my f150 at the dealers to have a new drive shaft installed (fix for vibration). Well...........a week later I returned to dealer only to discover that NOTHING had been done...nor had they tried to call my house (I was out of town).

It seems that they ordered the driveshaft from Ford but got a last minute... "STOP EVERYTHING" order from Ford. They claim that Ford has told them that there is a new fix on the way and it will require additonal parts. Now exactly what "on the way" means............supposedly........in a week or 2. Hmmmmmmmm

The dealer service manager apologized and said that they would contact us as soon as the new "vibration cure" is sent to them . Of course........we need to tow our camper over the holidays and silly us.....don't want to pull it by hand.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh.

Well, I hope he's not getting you a new rearend,that dont work either(at least for my truck) 04xlt screw
rick

Old 12-02-2004, 06:20 PM
bigplayrayr
Senior User
I was told by my dealer, and I was able to confirm it from a Ford Engineer @ the KC truck plant(my company is a maintenance part supplier there) that a new TSB is due at the Dealer Dec 8th.

I have no details on what it consists of.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:19 PM
mjbesen310
Senior User
Thank God I don't have the vibe, but I REALLY hope Ford does some out for a cure very soon for the people who do have the vibe! I hate seeing everyone so mad and dissopointed at there trucks due to the vibe, and it would be great when ford does fix these trucks of the vibe to have nothing but happy f150 owners!!! These trucks are the best trucks on the road!!!!!

Old 12-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by mjbesen310
Thank God I don't have the vibe, but I REALLY hope Ford does some out for a cure very soon for the people who do have the vibe! I hate seeing everyone so mad and dissopointed at there trucks due to the vibe, and it would be great when ford does fix these trucks of the vibe to have nothing but happy f150 owners!!! These trucks are the best trucks on the road!!!!!
I can ditto that a hundred times. Plus the vibration is not just for new owners. I've read in here where vibration sometimes start up even as long as 10,000 miles. But from what I remember, if you get past that mileage the vibe does not seem to affect the truck. Of course I realize it's a realatively new truck and what I've read here is not completely the final sample of all trucks.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Robert045.4
Junior User
THE CURE IS A LIGHTER DRIVESHAFT! I just spent over $800 on a carbon fiber driveshaft b/c my vibration was amplified with my 4.56s. With a 14.5 lb shaft over the 30 lb stocker, I have NOT ONE vibration. Any and every virbration at any speed, even when the truck was stock with the infamous 45-60 mph vibration range, is GONE. SO, if they are replacing your driveshaft, see if Ford may have come out with an aluminum replacement like th 5.4L pre 04 trucks had. Just balancing or replacing the heavy stock steel shaft will most likely NOT cure you completely. You cannot spin a 30 lb, 70" long shaft that fast without getting a vibration at some point. Some are worse than others, but even those who claim they have no vibrations would notice the truck being smoother with a carbon fiber or even aluminum replacement.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:03 AM
asinatra
Senior User
Originally Posted by Robert045.4
THE CURE IS A LIGHTER DRIVESHAFT! I just spent over $800 on a carbon fiber driveshaft b/c my vibration was amplified with my 4.56s. With a 14.5 lb shaft over the 30 lb stocker, I have NOT ONE vibration. Any and every virbration at any speed, even when the truck was stock with the infamous 45-60 mph vibration range, is GONE. SO, if they are replacing your driveshaft, see if Ford may have come out with an aluminum replacement like th 5.4L pre 04 trucks had. Just balancing or replacing the heavy stock steel shaft will most likely NOT cure you completely. You cannot spin a 30 lb, 70" long shaft that fast without getting a vibration at some point. Some are worse than others, but even those who claim they have no vibrations would notice the truck being smoother with a carbon fiber or even aluminum replacement.
i spent this much...

the "cure" for some might be the driveshaft, but my vibration lies within my engine, 500-800rpm and the from roughly 1700-2100rpm at a constant rpm.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:14 PM
mjbesen310
Senior User
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I swear!!!!!! I just Jinxed myself writing my frist reply to this forum! I just said thank god I don't have the vide, and what do you know.........IT HAPPEND TODAY TO MY TRUCK!!!!!!!!! Driving home on the highway at 70mph I started to feel the vibration through my wheel!!! I am so ****ed! I took it right to the dealer where I test drove it and had my dealer verify the vibration which he did! Now it's sitting in the dealer!! I can't believe it! 1,300 miles on it! Someone shoot me!

Old 12-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Robert045.4
Junior User
i spent this much...

the "cure" for some might be the driveshaft, but my vibration lies within my engine, 500-800rpm and the from roughly 1700-2100rpm at a constant rpm.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for my grossly incorrect statement assuming everyones problem is the drivesahft. HOWEVER, the overwhelming majority of people with the vibration is speed related not RPM, so you may have an improperly balanced engine, bad motor mounts, or just a POS. SO, to correct....if your vibration is speed related, IT IS YOUR DRIVESHAFT! Ford dealerships waste thousands of Ford's money replacing everything but the driveshaft, and from what I have seen, none of these fix attempts like the damper, new ring and pinion, ect. ever do anything.

Last edited by Robert045.4; 12-03-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
D00D...

You can dynamically balance any shaft. Drive shafts on cruise ships are the size of buildings and they're dynamically balanced to within ounces.

Old 12-04-2004, 10:29 PM
DWEELER
Freshman User
I too am waiting for the magical fix for those of us with vibe problems. I had my truck in the dealer October 29th for the third attempt at fixing the problem. The mechanic I spoke with said that he had contacted Ford engineering since the current TSB had already been worked to the letter. They advised him to install a "known good driveshaft". Well he did have one on hand, installed it and it slightly improved, but no where near fixed the vibe.

So long story longer, he said that at this point Ford advised him to "stop work until a revised procedure and parts becomes available". He said they told him it would be late November, early December.

I have not heard any dates except what I've read on this forum so I really appreciate you guys that have heard dates posting them, thanks!

Old 12-05-2004, 06:12 AM
jbone108
Senior User
the dsb will hear my case on Dec. 15. Ford needs to hurry if they don't want to buy this truck back.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:36 AM
bigplayrayr
Senior User
Please accept my sincerest apologies for my grossly incorrect statement assuming everyones problem is the drivesahft. HOWEVER, the overwhelming majority of people with the vibration is speed related not RPM, so you may have an improperly balanced engine, bad motor mounts, or just a POS. SO, to correct....if your vibration is speed related, IT IS YOUR DRIVESHAFT! Ford dealerships waste thousands of Ford's money replacing everything but the driveshaft, and from what I have seen, none of these fix attempts like the damper, new ring and pinion, ect. ever do anything.
I had my driveshaft replaced, the vibe dissapated for about a week, but now it is back. I had the ring and pinion replaced before that. COuld something cause the driveshaft to become "unbalanced". My vibe did not start until after about 500-600 miles.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:47 AM
zeusdog
Junior User
Originally Posted by redfishjones
Of course........we need to tow our camper over the holidays and silly us.....don't want to pull it by hand.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh.

I with you with the vibe. First of all, your dealer needs to put you in a comparable vehicle while they hold yours for warranty repairs. If they refuse you need to ask to speak to the Customer Relations manager. Be polite and explain your situation to him and they should give you a vehicle. If they don't, you need to call Ford Customer Service and politely demand that they call your dealer to make arrangements for you to have a replacement vehicle while yours is being worked on for warranty work.

I have my DSB hearing this week. In my paperwork from Ford it says a series of fixes for the vibration are to start being released in early December. That's the first I've heard about it. They never contacted me about it.

If your truck is like mine it feels dangerous to drive when hauling anything. I haven't towed anything with mine. When I hauled firewood in it the vibration was amplified throughout the vehicle and felt difficult to control. My truck is useless. Good luck with your truck. I wish you the best.