2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Rear Top Brake Light LEAK...need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Phrekkle
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The Rear Top Brake Light LEAK...need opinions

Okay, I know this has been beat to death already, but I need specific opinions on how I should deal with this.

After some heavy Florida rains last week I went out and found the rear seat soaked around the middle, and a big puddle on the floor....all around, especially the middle and corners of the floor pans.

I also found the driver's side seat (on the side) and floorboards soaked.

It is all through the carpet.

I immediately jumped on the forum and found the cause of the rear leak (the top brake light seal) but nothing really on the side.

I took it to the dealership for this issue yesterday.

Bear in mind it is still soaking wet (humidity doesn't aid in drying anything around here )

They gave me an appointment for TUESDAY afternoon...

How long is it supposed to sit there soaking wet?

I know that can't be good for it.

I asked whether they would replace the carpet and was told they send it to a "detailer" to suck the water out and dry it.

Is that half-*** ???? Should I demand it be gutted and the carpet and rear seat replaced?

The seat is soaked to the inside (still cold and damp when you push on it).

I heard during all our evacuation business (during our particularly nasty hurricane season) that if a vehicle floods (fully insured) that it should be totaled based on the rust issue. Hearsay maybe?

Also, the rod on my brake pedal and other spots are rusted....its not surface rust on it , but the really thick bubbly kind.....dealer said it was normal. REALLY???

How many times has this thing flooded??? Was it on the lot during Hurricane Ivan??? We're in NorthWest Florida....

All this combined with the whine at 2200-2400rpm....grrrrrrrrrrr

I was raised on Fords, but I'm worried now.....and my husband is deploying for the holidays

Any advice on what I should demand be replaced because of the water?

Thanks so much

Old 11-27-2004, 01:59 PM
Mathwiz
Junior User
This is what I would if I were you. First understand this, The 3rd brakelight is attached to the roof of the truck with 2 phillips head screws. When those screws are removed, the entire unit will practically fall off. It wont actually fall because wires are holding it. The gasket material that forms the seal does NOT adhere to the truck. It only adheres to the brakelight unit. You can remove those screws and inspect the way the gasket was stuck to the backside of the light at the factory by a Ford employee . My guess is that you will find that it was improperly applied. I would then put it back on exactly as you found it, and when I took it to the dealer I would have them remove it in my presence so there would be NO DOUBT what caused the problem. If this is'nt a case of manufacturers defect in the assembly process I don't know what is. I would have a camera with me and take pictures of it in front of them just to let them know I mean business. Remember, you are the customer and the truck is under warranty and they should do whatever it takes, within reason, to make you happy. Sucking some of the water out and leaving the rest to mildew is NOT within reason.

Two things to note if you remove the light is
1. the angle of the screws
2. the clips that the screws go into. If the clip slides out of place, just put it back before putting the light back on.

The reason I know how the light works is after all this about leaks, I took mine off and even though it did'nt leak (garage kept), the gasket was not put on as it should have been. I put a thin bead of clear silicon caulking all the way around mine and put it back on. I would have damaged the gasket if I tried to remove it and put it back on in the correct position.

BTW the reason the drivers seat was wet could have been because the roof of the truck is hollow and water probably channeled to that area and dripped from the roof area.

I know this is the second time I have responded to you about this. Not trying to be a nuisance.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Mathwiz; 11-27-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Phrekkle
Junior User
Thanks MathWhiz.....I finally went out and really really took a good look around the cab.....holy cow RUST! I'm gonna post a new topic about rust, to see if anybody else's looks like this.

Thanks again