2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 05:22 PM
trickyinspector
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up XM Radio

I would like to install a XM Radio has anyone installed one, which do you like and which kooks good with the FX4 dash?

Old 11-25-2004, 05:36 PM
tsc
Senior User
I've got a Skyfi 2 in my 03 screw. I like it because I can take the reciever out and put it into the house/boombox. If you want a semi-permanent one, go with the Terk Commander (non-removable). I don't know if there is a recess in under the '04 wiper cowl (passenger side), but in the old model had a recess, I ran the anntenna wire across the firewall and through a rubber gasket by the steering shaft. I got my info and ideas from xmfan.com

Old 11-25-2004, 11:20 PM
DAThomas9
Junior User
An EXCELLENT site is xm411.com, along with myradiostore.com.

You can't go wrong with either site - great info.

Old 11-26-2004, 02:20 AM
Yob2kanobe
Senior User
Old 11-26-2004, 03:44 AM
hermit
Freshman User
I just had XM Radio installed in my '04 FX4 SCAB this past Tuesday and this is what I opted for. I didn't want to mount an extra XM tuner on the dash somewhere, so I decided to go with an XM ready Alpine radio that replaces the factory radio. I also did not want the antenna on the roof. I did a little research on the Internet and found a satellite forum much like this one that is devoted to XM radio. There I learned that the antenna can be placed on the top of the dash. The antenna is about a half inch tall, and approximately 1 1/4 inches long, and maybe a little over an inch wide. The antenna sits in that storage tray (for lack of a better description) in the front portion on top of the dashboard. You wouldn't know it is there if you were walking past my truck. The wire for the antenna comes up from the bottom of the dash. Very clean, the radio is excellent.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rich

Old 11-26-2004, 07:09 AM
trickyinspector
New User
That looks great can the ash tray be closed for hiding the radio. did you install youself?

Originally Posted by Yob2kanobe
check these links for some good pics and info on the XM radio install:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=38033&width=0
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...light=Fanman2+

Old 11-26-2004, 11:08 AM
Yob2kanobe
Senior User
Yes did the install myself, its easy. The ash tray still closes and will conseal the head unit totally. Do a search on 'XM Commander install' on Google and you will get a ton of info on exactly how this mod is done.
I love the XM radio so much Im buying two more for my other rigs!

Yob

Old 11-29-2004, 11:18 AM
bpevans
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Yob2kanobe
Yes did the install myself,
On the 04 F150, are their RCA inputs available or were you forced to use the FM modulation for installation? If it's FM, how's the sound? Any hum?

Old 11-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Yob2kanobe
Senior User
Yes you have to use the FM modulator that comes with it for now. There is suppose to be a cable to hook direct so you can use the AUX button on the OEM radio real soon like Dec. I was told. However I notice no 'hum' or anything like it now so Im not sure if its needed. I think the key is to choose a FM station that has zero noise on it to begin with if that is possible in your area.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:37 PM
viewseeker
New User
Though I'm a Sirius guy, Check out my pics of the install Car Toy did for me. Worked out real well. It is easly reachable from the drivers seat and is out of the way of the passengers knees. The Kenwood touch screen flat screen I think is only available with Sirius. I chose seperate the sat radio so I could see the navigation data full time. Very cool.

Have'nt listend to XM much but I can tell you that Sirius rocks. NFL, College Football, plus good talk radio and of course a huge variety a commercail free music.

Old 11-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Yob2kanobe
Senior User
I love the Kenwood in the dash you have there.The XM commander unit is less than $100 tho. I was never a big fan of the sat. radio heads that protrude out like that, seems like youd be hitting it alot.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:52 PM
LAAdkins
Junior User
One thought if you are considering adding XM. Pay the extra bucks and get a new head unit. The XM moudulator looses some sound quality through the FM station. My wife's XM modulator is connected to a Mark Levinson top of the line stero in her Lexus, but everyone that has heard hers and mine all agree that mine sounds much better of course except her! I have the Alpine 9811 which is an older model now and much better units can now be had for less.

One other thing my wifes is in her ash tray and I have difficulty seeing the screen of course in the F150 ash tray it seems to be at the proper angle when open and you may be able to see it better. Also I don't like the dial to change the channel and when I use the remote I still can't see where I end up. There is no good way to change to a favorite channel. On the Alpine I have 18 presets and it is at the top of the console and very easy to use and see.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:18 PM
viewseeker
New User
The external sat unit in my truck is mounted high enough so the passenger does not hit it. I was worried about that too but it has worked out without problems.

As for the FM modulator issue I found the same problem with interference. My Audiovox Sirius unit is hardwired into the Kenwood head unit.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:20 AM
dgordon
Junior User
I have the XM Roady II. Mounted with a bracket inside the center console near the top front (Best Buy Techs installed). Can't be seen from outside the vehicle. Purchased the FM Modulator. Crystal clear sound. Excellent!! A little tricky when changing channels but I tend to leave it on my favorite channel all the time. Antenna mounted on top of the truck just where the windshield and top meets (centered).

Old 12-01-2004, 12:33 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Only problem with FM modulation is you don't get the full frequency response, since FM is only good to 15K of frequency response. Nor do you get the full music dynamics of the digital signal, which is supposed to be closed to CD quality. Along with less Signal to noise levels.

Last edited by KevinM; 12-01-2004 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: XM Radio