Urgently Need Suggestions on 302 Rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 01:16 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think its funny when someones parents buy them a new car, then they install a forced induction kit improperly and then destroy it, I think its great, flood the market with salvaged parts, makes things more affordable for me.

If durable and reliable with an added punch, is someones objective, then I would have to agree you.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:30 PM
jayp
New User
Further explanation...

1. People tell me converting my truck over to a 351w will be difficult and that keeping my 302 would be much easier.

2. I somehow need to get more torque and towing power out of my f-250 4x4 because the 302 in its current state and gear ratio is not getting it done.

3. I am on a budget and am not out for the most tricked out motor in town. I need a motor that increases the performance of my big truck by providing some spunk, longevity and a good value for dollar based performance upgrades. I just want it to run good, be dependable and sound healthy.

4. I appreciate everyones help thus far and hope that this list will help to identify my needs more specifically.

Here's some things that confuse me about building my truck back:

Will putting the stock 302 back in it make the process considerably easier.

Can I make the fuel injection system match whatever motor I decide on?

Will the 302 be able to provide what I am desiring?

If I go with a 351w, what other items will need to be replaced?

If I change rear end gearing and go with something like ford racing gears, will this also affect my transfer case gearing and front axle gearing, etc...

Sorry for the lengthy posts, I only have the dough for one shot at this and want to drill down until I am certain that I am making the best decision for my circumstances. Thanks to all who don't mind helpin a poor boy out!

Old 11-23-2004, 05:45 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
It just depends on how much you tow....

1. People tell me converting my truck over to a 351w will be difficult and that keeping my 302 would be much easier.

Making your fuel injection and exhaust work with a 351 will be a very involved process, keeping your 302 will be MUCH easier

2. I somehow need to get more torque and towing power out of my f-250 4x4 because the 302 in its current state and gear ratio is not getting it done.

Some basic bolt-ons will aid in this process, gear ratio will make a major difference, but a 351 is a better motor for towing, no question

3. I am on a budget and am not out for the most tricked out motor in town. I need a motor that increases the performance of my big truck by providing some spunk, longevity and a good value for dollar based performance upgrades. I just want it to run good, be dependable and sound healthy.

The smart money here is to rebuild and enhance your 302, unless you tow regularly, then you should seriously consider the 351 swap.

4. I appreciate everyones help thus far and hope that this list will help to identify my needs more specifically.

Here's some things that confuse me about building my truck back:

Will putting the stock 302 back in it make the process considerably easier.

Much, much easier. Any motor can be put in any car, but nothing fits like YOUR motor. Trust me.

Can I make the fuel injection system match whatever motor I decide on?

Again, anything can be made to work, but it will be involved to convert to the 351. The FI experts here can help you more, I'm a carb guy myself.

Will the 302 be able to provide what I am desiring?

It depends on how heavy you tow, and how often. Otherwise, a 302 can do almost anything you need to. The 351 is just a better motor for towing heavy, it will even get better fuel milage under heavy loads.

If I go with a 351w, what other items will need to be replaced?

Your exhaust will need to be modified, because a 351 is wider at the top. Your trans will fit, your motor mounts are the same. Your distributor, oil pan, and intake will all be different. The heads have different size head bolts, but if you get a long block it won't matter. There will certainly be computer mods required, I'll let the FI guys jump on that.

If I change rear end gearing and go with something like ford racing gears, will this also affect my transfer case gearing and front axle gearing, etc...

when you've got 4 wheel drive engaged, you muliply your transfer case ratio by the rear end ratio by your trans. gear ratio. When you're in 2wd, the transfer case is 1:1, and won't have any effect on final drive ratio (multiply by 1). It will effect your front end gearing, you'll have to find a ratio that's extremely close or identical to the rear.

Sorry for the lengthy posts, I only have the dough for one shot at this and want to drill down until I am certain that I am making the best decision for my circumstances. Thanks to all who don't mind helpin a poor boy out

Old 11-24-2004, 01:33 AM
jayp
New User
Going to keep the 302...

What would you suggest that I do or have done to the motor, tranny and rear end gearing? I don't know much about this but am fixing to learn. If possible, please be specific because I'm most likely going to price the work and mods out and get started on this project. I thank everyone for their help, it really means a great deal to me.

Old 11-24-2004, 01:36 AM
yellowjeep76
Senior User
With just a good set of aftermarket heads and a good camshaft you can easily make 300hp and 300ftlb. Of course to make full use of the heads you'll need intake and exhaust changes, but the 302 can very easily make power. If you choose the right parts, it will make power at a useful rpm for your truck. However, the 302 likes to rev more than the 351 and consequently the 302 will most always make its power at higher rpms.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:57 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Here is a thought, check your local auto trader and dealerships and see if you can't find a 351w equipped f250 4X4, take it for a test drive and see if it makes you happy...heck, see if they would trade and compare the difference to a swap or modifying your engine.

In a perfect world, if you could find a low mile efi 351w in a junkyard, complete, it would be a whole lot cheaper and very easy to swap, it would be a plug in deal.

If you choose to do the 351w swap, contact your muffler shop(s) or whom ever is gonna do the exhaust work first, some shops won't touch the Y pipe due to legal concerns. (which makes no sense to me) Like torqueking mentioned, all you need done, is to have the pipes manipulated to accomodate the wider 351w...not a big deal.

Also do a search....there have been two people within the last 3 months do stroker 302's, one was a 2wd the other an f250 4x4, the latter would probably be able to give you a better idea of what to expect.

You shouldn't go wrong using low end heads like, world jr, edelbrock performers or afr165's (as far as hp and tq potential, they go from worst to best, left to right).

Contact the cam company once you have the heads you would like to use in mind, along with the final cubic inch of the engine, torque converter stall (they make 4X4 converters) and final gear ratio, pick the camshaft last it ties everything together.

The tire ratio is a tough one, if you plan on doing bigger tires any time soon then your gonna want to have that information available now, it really depends on the tire height you plan to use, best to figure it out now, instead of installing say 3.73 and then 6 months from now even larger tires and realizing, I need more. Having someone install your gears isn't cheap, especially when they have to do both axles.

Who knows? Good luck with what ever you decide.

Last edited by jwtaylor; 11-24-2004 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:25 AM
jayp
New User
Local Machine Shop

They would do all that needed to be done for the block and heads for 400 and 220 for just the block, if I decided to use aftermarket heads. Correct me if I am misstating something here. I should have the block bored enough to straighten it out, pistons/rings, after market heads, headers, high rise intake, cam, adjustments to fuel injection, tranny reworked and tire/gear ratio aligned. The cam should be selected to give me the most power in the low end range. Am I getting close to what I am after and what are the brands that I should be looking at for each mod and approximate price.

Old 11-24-2004, 01:00 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
I've never heard the term "high rise" used to refer to an aftermarket efi intake but I think your getting it.

Call summit 1 800 230 3030 or jegs 1 800 345 4545 or both and tell'em to send you a catalog, its free, for the most part you won't go wrong with any of the companies listed in the catalog, just ask questions when in doubt. One thing not listed in the catalog(s) will be afr heads and seems like they are the best thing going right now, if your budget will allow it.

Good luck

Old 11-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Twinscrew
Senior User
jayp, you're online right? Start checking out some of the web sites for the companies suggested by JWT. Request catalogs just to have for quick reference later but you can start compiling you parts list in just minutes. Your now on the right road to a rewarding and sensible build.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:20 PM
wozxxx86
Senior User
ok well first off the swap to a 351 isnt hard or realy expensive, just dependson what you wanna do with it, right now im working on my swap, so far ive spent 250$ for a 92' efi motot outta a f250. 205$ for the block,heads,intakes to be hottanked and the crank reground. 159 for headers, and 292 for a complete master rebuild kit including pistons and oil pump from summit. and 23$ for a porting kit. and i only have 283$ more to got befor the motor will run. not including the a9p computer and maf meter that i'll have to buy and the flex plate that got bent when they loaded the motor in the truck. and all im doin to the motor is porting,caming,and boring 40 over and its coming to about 430lb of tq at 3500r's on the Desktop dyno. so i think that if done right and pland out u can do the swap for relitivly cheap.and if you do the sawp froma junk yard you prolly wont need to buy manythings, cause most stuff like the ac pumps and all the acceries will swap. only thing that wont is the computer, oil pan,flex plate, and major engine parts, i think that the disty will to. u can even take ur better flowing 302 upper and port match the 351w lower and get a very nice flowing stockish setup

Old 11-24-2004, 08:15 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
sounds like desktop dyno is optimistic, what are you having done to the engine?

Old 11-24-2004, 08:24 PM
wozxxx86
Senior User
those numbers are at the flywheel. and ive tuned every little bit out of it. and as for what im havin done. a cam, porting,valve job,over bore, headers, and a lil compression boost. up to 9.35:1 or 9.84 which ever i feel like goin when i get to that point, if i stuck with 8.8:1 which is what ive figured the stock to be. then the numbers would be alot lower. but also the max hp im lookin at is only 326.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:26 PM
todd31277
Senior User
what ever you do go with the 351w. i have a 90 f250 4x4 that i built a 302 in and it has the power. but it also get 5 mpg. it lifted and 35's but still 5 mpg. i plan on yanking out the little 5.0 and going with a 351 and maybe alittle stroke too.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:26 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Not sure it'll make 425lbfttq but it sounds like it will be a good engine, good luck

Old 11-24-2004, 08:32 PM
wozxxx86
Senior User
well i know the things pretty close cause when i put in all the stock perameters its only 230hp and 310 tq

which sounds right for stock efi

Quick Reply: Urgently Need Suggestions on 302 Rebuild...