2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snow tires or chains

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 06:10 PM
InboundFX4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow tires or chains

I'm going to be traveling over the Thanksgiving weekend. Some of the roads I'm taking require that chains are in the truck or that I have snow tires. I feel fine driving in snow and ice but I also don't want a state trooper to shut me down because I don't have either. I checked last year at Sears about getting chains (for the same reason) and they said no one makes chains for this size tire. I have the 18" wheels. Anybody have any suggestions?

Old 11-22-2004, 06:17 PM
jbone108
Senior User
Old 11-22-2004, 06:21 PM
InboundFX4
Senior User
Thumbs up

that's exactly what I need. thanks !

Old 11-22-2004, 11:51 PM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea get them online, a whole lot cheaper too. just try them on when you get them to make sure they will fit when you really need them.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:21 AM
khendrix
Senior User
Some places require you to have chains.?!?!?! Seems kind of rediculus to me.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:41 AM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I know that I am sure they can verify that in some Mountain states in the west and north east they require snow chains at times. However, in Northern Michigan and Northern Wisconsin where we get POUNDED with the snow, Snow chains are illegal, along with studed tires.
MK

Old 11-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Yob2kanobe
Senior User
Talking This aint no flatlander state here

Here In Oregon expect a big ticket if they catch you going over any pass without chains on when the readerboard says "CHAINS REQUIRED" And it doesnt matter if you have a Mondo 4x4 with huge studded tires on or not you still get ticketed.

I cant tell you how many times the Interstate has been shut down because of some nimrod trying the hill without chains on and gets sideways thereby causing a huge backup blocking all access to get towed out, and then NOBODY can get started moving again because they have stopped on a steep grade.

InboundFX4, besides all that check with a LesSchwab Tire store there as they have chains for the 18" wheels. got mine there.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:38 AM
InboundFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by Yob2kanobe
InboundFX4, besides all that check with a LesSchwab Tire store there as they have chains for the 18" wheels. got mine there.
Ah, good. Those are local too. I'll give them a call.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:46 AM
InboundFX4
Senior User
LesSchwab has them in stock. $85.95. I'll be getting a pair today. Nice thing about Schwabs is that I can bring them back if I don't use them.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Yob2kanobe
Senior User
Thats the same price I paid also. they are the wimpy type tho, work fine and meet spec but not real heavy duty. Quick on-quick off type make it fast and easy tho. I had a set for my last rig and liked them for that alone as you usually only need them for going over the "humps" then you take them off again. Besides that the big guage tire chains will hit fender, if installed on front axle, when turning.

Yob

Old 11-24-2004, 08:00 AM
charlesh
Senior User
Does anyone know if on a 4X4 chains are required on all 4 wheels? I just wonder if only putting chains on the rear wheels will mess up the gearing between front and rear. This assumes of course that the vehicle is running in 4 wheel mode. I will presume no issue if running in 2 wheel drive mode. But if one needed chains, I guess one would also want to be in 4 wheel drive mode.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Yob2kanobe
Senior User
Chains are not "required" on all four wheels as the slippage between axles will compensate for the tiny circumference difference as long as driving on snow or ice. I usually always put my chains on the front axle on my empty pickup as the front has the engine weight to help traction not to mention steering ability is increased. The only time I have used chains on all 4 wheels is up elk hunting in the deep deep snow. on the highway I Usually just leave it in 4x4 high untill required to chain up.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:40 AM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we are confused on the term "required".
Some are using the term "required" meaning "as required by law."
Others are using the term "requred" meaning "required for proper mechanical operation."
MK

Old 11-24-2004, 01:54 PM
charlesh
Senior User
Yob2kanobe,

Thank you for your response. I have not used chains in many many years. But within a year or so, I will mostly likely move to western MD. My lot is located up a steep private road and I envision there will be at least 1 or more times a year when tire chains may be necessary if I want to get out.

Sorry for the confusion on the word required. I meant, "required" so the differential components would not self-destruct because of different tire circumference due to the chains increasing the circumference.

From your response, I take it that chains on the front (assume a 4X4) will have the most benefit but putting them only on the rear only would be OK or putting them on all 4 tires would also be acceptable (as far as not causing any damage to differential components). Of course I make the assumption that the roads are completely snow/ice covered.

Any thoughts on which type of chains are easiest to put on and take off?

Chip

Old 11-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Col. Gilliam
New User
Howdy,

After reading this thread last night I looked in my owners manual (F-150, FX4, 2004) and it says the chains must meet class "S" clearance requirements. Standard chains will not work due to the tight clearance between the tires and the truck.

So be carefull about which chains you buy. Make sure they meet class "S" clearance requirements or you will cause damage to the truck. I also called Les Schwab and they have some in stock that will work ($85.95) , so thats were I'm going to buy mine.