94 5.0 H/C/I combo ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 01:13 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 5.0 H/C/I combo ?'s

I've searched around and it seems most questions are about the speed density pickups or carb'd models. Well I have a 94 4x4 5.0 V8 pickup with mass air. I plan on putting some heads, an intake, and a cam into this truck to bring its power level up to todays "standards". I've searched the mustang forums and came across "Thumper" heads which are basically Ported and Polished E7TE heads that flow better than GT40's and are only $600 for the pair. Next I plan on purchasing a GT40 upper and lower intake with a 1" spacer to go along with it. Lastly, I plan on getting a good truck cam from comp cams or other reputable company. Now for my questions. The GT40 intake is made for a mustang and is facing the passenger side, and has the 1 hole throttle body. Can I just turn the upper intake manifold around so it faces the right way, and can a mustang TB be bolted in place and plugged right in? Will the computer need a chip upgrade to handle the new heads/cam/intake? Will I need new injectors and fuel pump? Lastly, is this a feasable project that is more or less a bolt up job? Thanks ahead of time, as I can't find these answers anywhere.

Old 11-18-2004, 05:55 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
As far as I know you can just turn the upper intake manifold 180 degrees to have the inlet on the drivers side - the lightnings used a GT40 manifold set up in this way. You will probably need a different throttle linkage (a lightning would be ideal) and of course the rubber hose to connect between the MAF meter and the throttle body. As long as the TPS wiring matches the plug on your truck, the mustang throttle body should work just fine (your tps might even bolt up, I don't know). I don't think that the computer will require a chip to run the engine smoothly. Mass air generally can adapt to engine upgrades pretty well. As long as you aren't making a ton of horsepower (in the 300 range) stock injectors should have plenty of flow capacity, as well as the fuel pumps. Anything more than around 300 horsepower, I would definitely look into higher flow fuel pumps and injectors. The swap shouldn't be too hard I don't think.

Old 11-19-2004, 12:06 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your input, its appreciated greatly. Anymore is also appreciated.