1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Jer2000/2.5
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk

I got a 2000 2.5L 2wd ranger with a 3 in spindle lift. I have had the lift for about 2 months. Today I heard a load clunk noise from under my car as I was leaving work. The noise comes whenever I push the brake while I am going slowly, like driving in a parking lot. I checked the tightness of everything that was changed for the lift and I found one of my shocks wasn't tight. After tightening the shock the noise was still there, so I listened a little more carefully and I heard so odd noises from my brakes. I really don't know much about brakes but I had a 95 ranger several years ago that had one of the front brakes freeze up so I ended up having to replace the rotor and caliper. The noise from the brakes isn't very loud but it doesn't sound good, its not a squeal but almost sounds like scratching. If the brake sound was my only noise I would just have the pads changed but I am wondering if there could be a bigger problem or if the noises are two different problems. Is there an easy way to tell if my brakes are working right? Oh, and the clunk noise sounds like a clunk that I have heard from other people's transmissions although the sound only comes in while braking when already going slow.

Old 11-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Jer2000/2.5
New User
Fixed, I hope

Well I started to check out my brakes and noticed that one of the bolts that was supposed to hold the brake caliper to the front spindle had unscrewed itself so the clunk was from the caliper rotating back and hitting the wheel. Now my question is if I should get my rotor checked out in case it was damaged because of this.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have normal braking, no noise and the rotor is not damaged I wouldn't worry about it. It's up to you really.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Higgin
Senior User
Wow....good thing you noticed that. Could of caused some serious problems if you had to panic stop or something.