Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Duramax, Cummins or PSD - Who is the most powerful?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 05:34 PM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gm builds diesel engines for over the road trucks and machinery (Detroit) yet they can't tool up a good light duty truck engine.

this is not a fact for a long time now, gm sold detroit diesel to roger pensky who sold it to DAMLIER , it has for many years been known as mtu- detroit diesel. the mb designs have replaced the old tried and true 2 stroke detroit . like the in line sixes replaced by the series 60 inline ohc of mb design ect. ever been at a salt water marina how many boats fire up and sound detroit any more not many, most have been replaced by cats and cummins.
i think we all could go around for years on this but is there any use really? a motor is what it is and is so by how you care for it, i have seen all 3 brands with very high miles the ones that failed where hot roded and abused. . each to his or her own.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SLE
And then if you're going to go to an outside manufacturer why isuzu??????? There are more advaced proven diesel manufactures out there than Isuzu. Lets put aluminum heads on a cast block while running 19:1 or so compresion and high exhaust temps - Boy that was a brilliant idea!!!

All three make great diesels; and all three seem to use different technolgy to do so..
Isuzu is the largest diesel manufacturer in the world. Making some of the best diesels on the planet. Aluminum dissipates heat better. The engine runs hot. Aluminum heads work. Just ask mercedes.

They are all three gonna be using common rail with egr before too long. The turbos are a little different. Basically the same technology all the way around.

Old 12-10-2004, 04:27 AM
captchas
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
Isuzu is the largest diesel manufacturer in the world. Making some of the best diesels on the planet. Aluminum dissipates heat better. The engine runs hot. Aluminum heads work. Just ask mercedes.

They are all three gonna be using common rail with egr before too long. The turbos are a little different. Basically the same technology all the way around.
lh
good points. i have to agree, add vw to the common rail egr, cat convertor lists, they have had egr for several years bad part is the high sulfer fuel we still have causing high amounts of carbon build up cloging the egr system up,
alloy heads go so far back its unreal, morman even had a alloy block back in the teens so maybe we are just starting to truly understand how well it works here .

Old 12-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Are you sure its the sulfer?

Old 12-10-2004, 06:49 PM
captchas
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
Are you sure its the sulfer?
yes its what vw has told all us service techs . it causes a excessive amount of carbon to be pulled up into the egr system and plugs every thing including the intake manifold up by around 70kplus or minus . wish i could say other wise but i've been around them 40 plus years and our factory field techs are very much ontop of the issue., i think we all know all to well the qaulity of our fuels by now not that great and i beleive its 2007 when the federal low sulfer law starts then we will know for sure.
in the mean time all we can do is our best and be thank full we don't see it a lot. hope i never see it on a v10 twin turbo tdi just changing the oil makes me shake.

Last edited by captchas; 12-10-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:00 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Is there any way around the issue?

Old 12-11-2004, 06:36 PM
dspencer
Senior User
The ultra low sulphur is scheduled to be started in 2006, 80% compliance and 100% by 2007, I think. There are several issues coming up with the new formulation that I have been reading about. The major pipelines have said they will only pump the stuff without the additive packages in it as they appear to polute any other liquid used in those lines. That means that in the future the distribution centers will be adding it. Also at least in the beginning they will have to supply lower than the 15 ppm diesel into the pipelines as it will be changed when mixing with other diesel. Some suppliers are saying as low as 5-7 ppm will be required as the fuel enters the pipeline to assure the 15 ppm out.

I know I know......meaningless trivia. Well thats just what I do.

Old 12-12-2004, 04:10 PM
fullpower
New User
Pickup pulls

As far as pulling a sled in pickup pulls the PSD and Cummins walk all over the Duramax. I go to at least a dozen tractor and truck pulls every year and everytime a Duramax goes up against a PSD or Cummins (even older ones) it comes up short. I don't know if it is due to the Allison transmission but it seems that it goes so far then it is almost like it runs out of power and will not even spin the wheels. As far as towing a trailer they seem to do much better though, I think it has a lot to do with their inability to reach their powerband while pulling a sled.

The PSD seem to win most of the time (stock) but when someone shows up with a Cummins which has been modified (chip, propane injection etc) they kick tail. The Ford pickup as a whole compared to the Doge though is far better in my opinion. I used to be a Chevy and Japanese guy (still like Japanese) but after owning two newer Ford F-150's I will NEVER go back to Chevy. The build quality in the Chevy, especially the interior, just plain sucks. Too bad Ford can't build a truck that gets decent gas mileage and still has good power.

Old 12-12-2004, 07:12 PM
mtomac
Junior User
at the 25 events I pulled at the Fords were consistantly behind the Duramax and Cummins

Old 12-12-2004, 07:23 PM
low
Senior User
Originally Posted by mtomac
at the 25 events I pulled at the Fords were consistantly behind the Duramax and Cummins
Apparantly, on this website, you are supposed to say the PSD always beat the others, especially the Chevy. Even if it's not true. Otherwise, it's just BS to most of these guys.

Old 12-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So ... if two guys went to different pulls and at one the Chevies or Dodges mostly won.... the other guy goes and the Fords mainly won ... one of them is stretching the truth? I would find it entirely plausible that no brand name wins every time with total consistency. And after watching numerous truck pulls, I believe that driver skill plays one of the most important parts, regardless of what they are driving.

Old 12-12-2004, 08:37 PM
low
Senior User
Thumbs up

Very well said.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:20 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Originally Posted by low
Apparantly, on this website, you are supposed to say the PSD always beat the others, especially the Chevy. Even if it's not true. Otherwise, it's just BS to most of these guys.
Even better said

Old 12-13-2004, 06:24 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by low
This is NOT true....and what do you two own....Low and Bigdaddy that is

Old 12-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mtomac
From my experience. The dmax and cummins will generally make more hp. The duramaxs are doing quite well at the pulls now. It was totally cummins dominated. The problem was the 7.3 hit the roof around 500hp and the cummins was just getting its stride. Now the dmax is in the 7s and 800 hp range. Tomacs being a prime example of what a dmax is capable of. Tomac does brag but I have not seen him lie. Id brag too if it was me.

Quick Reply: Duramax, Cummins or PSD - Who is the most powerful?