6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Engine Idle Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 08:53 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I posted in there about it. Just waiting for Tim to tell me whether he wants to pull the info. from here as it's needed or if he wants me (and JIMREITZ) to post the info. directly onto that thread. Jim posted excellent info. for the 2005's that I didn't know. I was unaware that the wiring and the wire colors had changed this year. I am going to be installing a PTO on a '05 F-550 later this month so I will compare Jim's info. with that of the PTO manufacturer. Usually, we just use the 1200 RPM's and install a pump to provide the flow that we need at that speed. That prevents the need for extra wiring or programming (would have to pay Ford to program) and keeps the engine speed down (prolonged operation, heat, fuel consumption are issues).
Glad the throttle worked for you. Do you have a pyrometer? How much do the EGT's drop in 1 minute/ 5 min. etc.? Just curious, thanks. Mat

Old 11-13-2004, 09:28 PM
mejer1
Junior User
Me1mckee,

I have a pyro, now that the temps are cooler here in Michigan, I see my temps drop quickly. Within a minute of stopping. Even in the heat of the summer they dropped within two to three minutes of stopping. Although I am only towing about 4500 pounds.

John

Old 11-15-2004, 08:50 AM
535moe
New User
I guess I must have been missed, so I'll ask again, can anyone tell me if an '04 6.0 with 6sp manual trans needs to have the resistor and which wires are needed.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:05 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 535moe
I guess I must have been missed, so I'll ask again, can anyone tell me if an '04 6.0 with 6sp manual trans needs to have the resistor and which wires are needed.
WELCOME to the site, please read the Guidelines… Check out the list of forums and make sure you read the headings and Read First: notices in each forum.

Be sure to check out the 6.0 Bible…..great reading
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/TOC.html
http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60_manual/

…. In the upper right hand corner of your screen check this out PARTS SHOP for all your “trucking” needs

Must read
http://www.clubfte.com/users/monsta/SuperDutyFAQ.html
Enjoy FTE

Old 11-15-2004, 11:19 AM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A couple of days ago I started my 04 and while it was idleing I went out to squeege off the windows. After a bout 2 minutes the idle went up about 200 rpm. I ordered the truck so I know it has does not have any additional idle control. I never noticed this before. Normal??? Thanks....

Old 11-15-2004, 12:27 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Mine has done that exact same thing more than once...that would be like two times...no it really does it all the time....no worry to me..

Old 11-15-2004, 04:00 PM
mejer1
Junior User
It tells about the Idle going up in the owners manual. It is to help with warming up the engine when it is cold out. This is done automaticly by the PCM.

Old 11-15-2004, 06:44 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
I read on another thread here that the newest flash took that automatic high idle off of someone's truck and they were looking for a way to get it back. I told them to look at this thread.
535moe,
I am sorry I didn't answer you sooner. I will check into that for you. At this time I do not have an answer. Please PM me if I do not get an answer back on here by Weds. I will get you an answer, probably tonight. Again, sorry no one replied, Mat

Old 11-15-2004, 08:10 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
OK, this will not be as easy as I had hoped. Neither Muncie nor Chelsea offer any PTO through their websites for manual trans. Fords. Tomorrow, I will call my PTO dealer and find out if something is available and get install instructions, these will contain wiring connections as well. The only concern I have is that the primary purpose of wiring into trucks with auto trans. is torque converter lock- up and throttle control is secondary only to provide proper shaft speed. I will find an answer, however it may not be what you need.

Old 11-17-2004, 06:34 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
The trans. is made by "ZEDEF?". I think that is the right name. Anyhow, there are PTO's for them and the installation for them does not include throttle wiring. Go figure, right? Well, I called Ford and they said that 03's and 04's will work the same as far as the wiring connections to run the throttle. I talked to a tech at my local dealer so this is not law. I do not have a truck with a manual trans to test this on, so this is the best I can do now. Go try it, see if it works. Let me know and we will both learn. Sorry I couldn't get any better info. Mat

Old 11-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Motown Fire
More Turbo
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts
Well I wired it up and it works great. It took me a few tries to find the correct wires to hook up. Hooked up the 2 wires to the switch plus a ground, fired up the truck, flipped the switch and there it goes nice and smoothe up to 1200 rpm's. Thanks to Me1mckee for posting these instructions. They are great.

Old 11-20-2004, 04:48 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
I'm glad it worked for you, motown. I talked to the Ford body builders hotline Friday and they told me that in trucks with the manual that the wiring and programming was present in "early build" trucks but that late in '04 it was "supposed" to be removed. They said that it was removed for safety reasons and that they didn't agree or understand the removal. Also, they said that there was never any confirmation of the removal and they have never had anyone call back and tell them that it indeed did not work on their trucks so they do not know for sure that it ever was removed from the programming for the manuals. The trucks with manual trans. will require a resistor to be installed but will still work. If it does not work you will have to get the black box from Ford or an aftermarket controller. If you have an questions go to www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas for more help. All auto trucks 2003 and newer will work with this wiring b/c they all have the programming. In the older trucks the computer looked for a tooth count in the trans. The trans. that had PTO openings had different gears so they had a different number of teeth and those were the only ones that would recognize that input for throttle control. This explained why on the older trucks when you disconnected the batteries you had to drive the truck to make the PTO work again, the computer had to verify the correct tooth count. Hope this works out for you all, Mat.

Old 12-24-2004, 02:58 PM
kb1aah
Senior User
No high idle on my 04....

Installed the switch for the 1200 rpm idle today and nothing happens. I verified the wire colors 3 times and also ran a piece of wire from one to the other and still no change. PTO is not listed on my window sticker but I thought this didn't matter. My truck is an 03/04. It was flashed in late September. Could this feature have been shut off by the latest flash?

me1mckee, thoughts, ideas?

Thanks.

Old 12-24-2004, 06:29 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Well, I just got the latest flash and it still works. Also, the PTO option is NOT required to make it work, the software and wiring is there in all of the trucks with auto trans. Maybe you should check to see that you actually have power at the White w/ blue stripe wire because it is a 12V+ power source. If there is not power there, then you have to either find out why not, or find an alternate switched power source. Also, be leary of the green wire with yellow/white stripe and make sure that you connect to the BLUE WIRE WITH YELLOW STRIPE, I had a hard time distinguishing between the two even with good light and I have never had problems with colors. Other than that, the only things I can tell you to look for are to make sure that you have the truck in park, foot off the brake and throttle, parking brake set and obviously that the truck is sitting still. It is possible, though that your throttle sensor is not at absolute zero, but the only way to tell that is too hook up a computer to your truck and look at the live readouts, which can be done at the dealer. I don't think the predator can see throttle position movements, but there may be other software out there that can other than at the Ford dealer. PM or email me if you need more info. I may be able to talk you through a little more troubleshooting. Good luck. Mat

Old 12-25-2004, 12:04 AM
kb1aah
Senior User
Ok I'll verify 12v at that blue/white line. As per the other wire I did verify it a few times. It is blue and actually has two yellow stripes on opposite sides of the wire. One stripe is wider than the other. I did see the green/white that you talked about. It has a butt connector attached to it but nothing on the other side and I have no idea how it got there. Must have been done by the alarm installer.
Also while we are on the subject of wire colors, do you know what color and where I can tie onto the Neutral Safety Switch wire and also the backup light wire?

Thanks in advance.
(might be time for me to get a full wiring diagram from Helm Publishing, they have fantastic wiring diagrams)

Quick Reply: Engine Idle Control