2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified air intake followup

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 07:43 PM
dbf582
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modified air intake followup

Toreador, Trauckasaurus etal;

Well I did my 1300 mile round trip with my mod and got 17.8 MPG on Interstate 5. Average speed on the interstate was 73 MPH with a whole lot of 75 to 80+. Before I left I found a light weight plastic 90 degree elbow(Home Depot) with a 3" ID which fit over the air intake. The elbow was made for flexible plastic drain pipe that is usually attached to gutter downspouts. Anyway, it was easy to rotate and angle down about 30 degrees towards a large open space that is obvious when you look at the front of the truck from under the hood on the drivers side. I have made this same trip with the stock setup and got 16.3 MPG. Other than a foam air filter there are no other mods. No extra noise was present nor did I encounter any problems. I have no doubt that this mod worked for me. Think about giving it a try. It's easy to do, reversible, and cost me $ 1.49 for the elbow which was an afterthought and probably not essential. Beats the hell out of $300 for 3 feet of plumbing and a filter. Of course it won't give you 40 extra horses, another 100 pound/feet of torque and 6 more MPG....

Old 10-26-2004, 08:42 PM
flawahoo
New User
Any chance for some pics??

Old 10-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by dbf582
Toreador, Trauckasaurus etal;

Well I did my 1300 mile round trip with my mod and got 17.8 MPG on Interstate 5. Average speed on the interstate was 73 MPH with a whole lot of 75 to 80+. Before I left I found a light weight plastic 90 degree elbow(Home Depot) with a 3" ID which fit over the air intake. The elbow was made for flexible plastic drain pipe that is usually attached to gutter downspouts. Anyway, it was easy to rotate and angle down about 30 degrees towards a large open space that is obvious when you look at the front of the truck from under the hood on the drivers side. I have made this same trip with the stock setup and got 16.3 MPG. Other than a foam air filter there are no other mods. No extra noise was present nor did I encounter any problems. I have no doubt that this mod worked for me. Think about giving it a try. It's easy to do, reversible, and cost me $ 1.49 for the elbow which was an afterthought and probably not essential. Beats the hell out of $300 for 3 feet of plumbing and a filter. Of course it won't give you 40 extra horses, another 100 pound/feet of torque and 6 more MPG....
Thanks for the update. I just bought a Dremel tool and extra attachments (yes I'm sure many in here think that may be a dangerous thing for me to do!!!). Anyway I have decided I am going to modify the stock intake. I want to take the part that hooks into the fender well and increase the size of it. I want to cut the hole in the fender well bigger by about an inch. That will increase the airflow. I also want to put some insulation around the stock intake tube all the way to the filter box. The last thing I'm going to do is change the stock filter to the Green filters. They are made of cotton and are better than the K/N for air flow and preventing dust in your engine. Also they are lifetime as all you have to do is rinse them out once or twice a year. When I get all this done I'll report an update. Thanks, but I think I can get the same benefits as the $300 systems for less by home modifying.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:15 AM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Originally Posted by Toreador
Thanks for the update. I just bought a Dremel tool and extra attachments (yes I'm sure many in here think that may be a dangerous thing for me to do!!!). Anyway I have decided I am going to modify the stock intake. I want to take the part that hooks into the fender well and increase the size of it. I want to cut the hole in the fender well bigger by about an inch. That will increase the airflow. I also want to put some insulation around the stock intake tube all the way to the filter box. The last thing I'm going to do is change the stock filter to the Green filters. They are made of cotton and are better than the K/N for air flow and preventing dust in your engine. Also they are lifetime as all you have to do is rinse them out once or twice a year. When I get all this done I'll report an update. Thanks, but I think I can get the same benefits as the $300 systems for less by home modifying.
Green Filters? Where can you get one and what is it exactly? Thanks DBF for the post, it certainly bolsters the case that you can make your own intake and produce similar results to the spendy $300 kits. I am starting to get torqued off by the 15mpg I am getting and the $2.00/gal gas prices. We drive the truck pretty much everywhere so getting a few extra miles to the gallon is high on my list.

Thanks,

T

Old 10-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Originally Posted by flawahoo
Any chance for some pics??
Definitley would love to see some pictures if you can DBF. Thanks for sharing the info.

T

Old 10-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by Truckasaurus
Green Filters? Where can you get one and what is it exactly? Thanks DBF for the post, it certainly bolsters the case that you can make your own intake and produce similar results to the spendy $300 kits. I am starting to get torqued off by the 15mpg I am getting and the $2.00/gal gas prices. We drive the truck pretty much everywhere so getting a few extra miles to the gallon is high on my list.

Thanks,

T
Here's one place: http://www.truckxpressions.com/truck...een_filter.htm maybe shop around for best price but they are expensive at $90. They last a lifetime though. That might be my first move just to feel if it helps any.