2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, its another vibration post..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Kurious
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Yes, its another vibration post..

To all my fellow Ford fanatics with vibration problems, I'm feeling your pain. If you would have asked me last year if I would pay $36,000 for a truck that vibrates I would have laughed in your face but unfortunately I did pay $36,000 for a huge vibrator. Ofcourse I didn't know of the problem before I bought the truck and didn't notice the problem until a few days after. I have been doing alot of reading about this problem not only on this forum but other forums out there in the internet world (this is my favorite forum by the way, you guys rock). What I don't understand is the fact that some people aren't having these problems so that tells me one thing, I don't think its the stiff frame because all the frames are blueprinted the same. Since it only happens between certain speeds that tells me its the drivetrain. I'm going to ask the question cause I have yet to see anyone talk about this, what about the harmonic balancer? This would be an obvious oversight by your average weekend mechanic but not ford engineers. I am your average weekend mechanic and thats why I'm asking the question. I think Ford needs to take a truck that has a vibration problem and start replacing one piece at a time with aftermarket parts not ford OEM parts until they fix the problem. I love looking at my truck but I hate driving it! Just some advice for those of you who have a vibration problem but haven't took it to your dealer as of yet, go now! Don't wait, for several reasons; first, the more people they have to deal with the faster they should come out with a fix; second, if the problem gets worse and they have to buy the truck back from you they will pro-rate it starting with the mileage when you first brought it to their attention. Back to the harmonic balancer, I just thought I would bring this up to see what you guys and gals thought about this being a possible problem. I can take criticism so let me have it if you think I'm stupid but if you think it a good point let me know. I do have a temporary fix for the vibration problem. My truck only vibrates between 45-55 so I bought a radar detector and I just speed through town but I also had to buy a bull bar for those stubborn chevy drivers who are too slow to get out of my way.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:13 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck has never shown any viberating problems, Knock Wood!
But I am very curious. When I worked as a mechanic, and later as a parts guy, virtually all the viberation problems we encounterd that occured between 45-60 mph was balance related. Usually tires, sometimes wheels, very occasianlly a rotor or drum. The speed that the viberation took place was considererd the 'proof' it was in the rotating of the wheel. Drive shaft problems, usually carrier bearings going bad, and bad U-joints usually showed up when decelerating or accelerating, not constant speed. We did have some 'flat spot' tires, mostly on heavy vehicles in cold weather. These would usually clear up after the tires got good and warm. 25-50 miles depending on temps of the road. Shudder from Torque converter or Overdrive was easy to diagnose by switching to a lower gear and seeing if it changed at a steady speed. Since I don't have the problem, can anyone help me by telling me if they have checked each of these things? Also anyone tracking 2-4 wheel drive, tire brand, wheel brand? Just trying to help,
Chris

Old 10-21-2004, 01:26 PM
nulley
New User
Unhappy the"VIB"ration

to add to the continuing saga, i got my '04 lariat screw back from the dealer yesterday. only a 2 1/2 day visit this time. we are still searchin for the cure for the mysterious vibration. mine, is more distinct at 55 mph and when in OD and uphill. the first two times in the shop for this issue, the mechanics decided it was my brakes; turning the rotars now twice, with 14300 miles. i keep that it is not my brakes. it is a body vibration. the wheel is steady. the dearler service mgr is now on the case. yesterday, they installed a new set of tires (4), B.F. Goodrich, same as original equipment. guess what. the vibration is still there. less, because of the new rubber, but still quiet prevailent on the uphill. spoke with the ser. mgr. again this morn, he is taking this to his Ford regional. he believes that putting on a new set of tires, Michelin, will correct the vibration. but he thinks that we may need to install a new complete rear end also, for the uphill vibration cannot be the tires. go figure.....
i believe that we ar missing the common thrreat that others have gone through; my dealer has not replaced, or suggested the replacement of the drive shaft.....
i am open to all and any fixes. i like the truck. i want it without the free extra that FOMOCO designed in. "the vibration..."
thanks

Old 10-21-2004, 01:31 PM
deltascrew
Senior User
its gonna take something unconventional to fix this b/c if it wasn't it would be fixed by now. this problem has existed since the truck was introduced a year ago. i think it drivetrain also and any imperfection in steering, tires etc. just amplifies it. i got the damper installed on mine and it helped but is it a fix or a cover up?

Old 10-21-2004, 01:58 PM
tksmitty
Freshman User
Angry

I have had the following done to my Truck; new drive shaft installed....4 new tires... dampner kit...rear end fuild changed and the wheels and tires have been balanced no less than 4 times. I still have the vibration. So at least for my truck non of those have helped. I have noticed a difference with the changes but I wouldn't say it's better. I have no idea anymore what is causing the problem but I'm tired of it and hope they come up with a fix soon.

Old 10-21-2004, 02:58 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On changing the tires, did you have them change the brand? I have the Michelin tires stock from the factory on my non vibrating truck.

I have seen whole runs of tires defective, not just the famous Firestone fiasco but from other companies.

Personally, I once had a bad Michelin Z rated tire. I bought four new tires for my 1981 Corvette after a bad experience with Goodyears (poor skid control) The Michelin tires handled fantastic, but my right rear had a ‘thump’. The trick suspension kind of concealed this for about one thousand miles, then I found that I had ruptured a gas shock from the constant pounding. I rotated the tires and discovered the tire was bad. Very noticeable on the front. No balancing would fix it. Michelin eventually replaced it, after a technician confirmed that the tire was bad.

I’m also wondering if the super stiffness of our frame makes even the least vibration seem worse. It’s like driving a Motorhome with two hands. It wobbles all over the road. Switch to one hand and you stop chasing every little nibble and the motorhome drives fine.

Hoping you find a cure,

Chris<O</O

Old 10-21-2004, 04:17 PM
jbone108
Senior User
Drive Shaft

my truck is in the shop now and they are telling me drive shaft. whats so bad is I'm just happy that they found something this time. my call to Ford and bring the TSB with me must have helped.

Old 10-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Labrador
Senior User
I took my driveline vibration and steering wheel nibble problems , to the Dispute Settlement Board and they forced Ford to buy back the truck. Some trucks have it and some don't. Remeber if you go over the 36,000 mile warranty peroid you can NOT go to the DSB then you will be SOL. I don't think Ford can fix the vibration problem, if they could they would have by now 13 months later.

Old 10-21-2004, 04:59 PM
dcurry1
Freshman User
let's see if third time is a charm

they called today "MY TRUCK IS FIXED" wow I am so ready to drive a normal truck again, "could it be real this time?" I doubt it! They made some sort of adjustment and put on new tires.... will see what the invoice shows, will tell them I am off work tomorrow and to expect me bright and early if this does not work AGAIN, oh yeah and have a loaner truck fueled and ready to go just in case... never hurts for them to be prepared with the track record they have so far I really am not getting my hopes up. Wish me luck or should that be WISH FORD LUCK? Off I go to meet my repair friends.....ready for this adventure to be over.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:08 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know what it was.

Originally Posted by dcurry1
they called today "MY TRUCK IS FIXED" wow I am so ready to drive a normal truck again, "could it be real this time?" I doubt it! They made some sort of adjustment and put on new tires.... will see what the invoice shows, will tell them I am off work tomorrow and to expect me bright and early if this does not work AGAIN, oh yeah and have a loaner truck fueled and ready to go just in case... never hurts for them to be prepared with the track record they have so far I really am not getting my hopes up. Wish me luck or should that be WISH FORD LUCK? Off I go to meet my repair friends.....ready for this adventure to be over.
Let us know what it was.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-22-2004, 05:57 AM
tksmitty
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
On changing the tires, did you have them change the brand? I have the Michelin tires stock from the factory on my non vibrating truck.

I have seen whole runs of tires defective, not just the famous Firestone fiasco but from other companies.

Personally, I once had a bad Michelin Z rated tire. I bought four new tires for my 1981 Corvette after a bad experience with Goodyears (poor skid control) The Michelin tires handled fantastic, but my right rear had a ‘thump’. The trick suspension kind of concealed this for about one thousand miles, then I found that I had ruptured a gas shock from the constant pounding. I rotated the tires and discovered the tire was bad. Very noticeable on the front. No balancing would fix it. Michelin eventually replaced it, after a technician confirmed that the tire was bad.

I’m also wondering if the super stiffness of our frame makes even the least vibration seem worse. It’s like driving a Motorhome with two hands. It wobbles all over the road. Switch to one hand and you stop chasing every little nibble and the motorhome drives fine.

Hoping you find a cure,

Chris<O</O
The truck started out with the BFG rugged terain and I had them change to the Good Year ATS.