2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck is in for howl from rear end!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 03:32 PM
neelycl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear end howl

I too have the bad rear end blues- 29K on my 2004 Screw and it is really loud now at 45 mph and up- between this, the rattling power rear windo problems and the bad fuel tank- Im missing my silverado badly. Is there a TSB on this yet?

Old 12-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
have you towed anything since you bought your truck? Like i said in a earlier post the gears are failing because they are not getting proper break in . just like an engine. gotta take it easy for the first 500 miles, not going above 55 an letting the gears cool down for at least 30 mins between driving periods.

I know this is a different rig but even the new Titan has a gear break in period it states it right in the owners manual. might open yours up and see what it says in there regarding this as well.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:37 PM
vaughn1
Freshman User
Finally got mine in the shop and they replaced the ring and pinion gears and all seems to be OK.....Have 21000 on it now and I noticed it at about 15000. All quiet now I just hope it stays that way......

Old 12-08-2004, 08:51 PM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone above posted that you need to let your gears cool down and heat up in repeated cycles. This is incorrect. I directed this post to my father, who is a metallurgist. He informed me that the repeated heating and slow cooling of metal makes it weaker, not stronger. The process of "heat treating" metal entails heating the metal and then quickly cooling it down rapidly (in a water bath), not letting it cool slowly.
Under NO circumstances should a rear end fail from overheating due to normal use (not towing, or carrying a heavy load). If you are doing normal driving, you should not have to stop every 30 minutes to let your rear end cool down. This is absurd. IF ford is reccomending that you do this, then they must be recognizing a design flaw that has moving part clearences tighter than they are supposed to be. Changing out your gear lubricant every 3000 miles is also a waste of time, money, and the environment.
Most manual transmissions do not have an auxilliary cooler, and I've never heard of a manufacturer saying to let your manual transmission cool down every 30 miutes of driving....
I think the problem with these rear ends is cheap parts, bad labor, and poor design.
MK

Old 12-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
http://www.precisiongear.com/pgtechbreak.htm

http://www.ring-pinion.com/content/t...lt.asp?pid=122

Here are 2 examples of reputiable shops/gear vendors that recommend a gear break in period. now im not arguing with your father but what he deals with and what goes on with the gears maybe 2 different things. also if you read this months 4wheeler mag i believe they ate there brand new Titan rear end while towing 5000lbs before the gears were broke in properly, the owners manual even stated there is a break in period, Nissan did cover the repairs at no cost though just like ford is doing here. after you get your knew gears try this and see, what do you have to loose. if im wrong then ford will replace them again.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:45 PM
neelycl
New User
Hey Kemicalburns- sorry to spoil your theory but I havent towed a thing with this truck. I have also owned a lot of Trucks in my 25 years of driving (never owned a car) and I have towed with some and not towed with others. Ive owned Fords, Chevys and Toyotas- and I have never paid as much for such a hyped up Truck as I did for this fully loaded Lariat S crew. NONE of my other trucks (with there antiquated engineering) ever had the problems, noises, rattles, vibations and howls that this finely engineered piece of crap has had. As a matter of fact all my other trucks combined- and yes that includes a really good F150 from 92 with a straight 6 cyl.- didnt have the quality problems this truck has. Look at all these threads on vibrations, howling and rattles. And yes I am aware of break in periods. I am also aware that plenty of 04 owners love their trucks- they dont have mine. Im also aware of where the Toyota dealership is- Im heading there as soon as I get these TSBs and recalls done. My wife's 2003 4runner may be the best SUV/truck from a quality standoint I have ever owned- we love it and we love the dealership. So Im thinking about a Tundra- not the flashiest of engines or interiors- but according to my friends and my 4Runner experience - a BIG step above in quality fit/finish and customer service.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
there is no theory about it. remember this new truck is just that new. its a first year production model. everyone has first year production issues. its just the way of the beast. ford has it standard testing but that in no way preps them for how the consumer will operate the vehicle. were all of those past rigs of your purchased New off the lot? or used.
remember the first year of the 6.0 ps had numerous issues as well . i would like to know how many of these trucks have been sold nation wide that are actually having issues. if they sold 100,000 trucks and 5,000 had issues that a not bad . ford is rewriting the book with this truck. i guess you must roll with the punches or learn not to buy a first year production vehicle. just like the new stang im sure something will be wrong in some way shape or form. sorry for your miss fortune i was just point out fact on how gears must be broke in buy 2 companys that deal with gears all day long.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:25 PM
NedSpivens
New User
I just got the rear window rattle. It is driving me crazy. The other day my dealership called wanting me and my wife to buy a new freestyle. I told them no way will I do that. I can't afford two vehicles in the shop. So you guys keeping count at this point I have, one howling rear end, another clutch pack gone out, brake squeak, noise in the passenger dash, and a front end that will not stay in line. Plz sign me up for another. I wish we would all get together and drive to Detroit and raise some hell.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:30 PM
NedSpivens
New User
vaughn1 is it still running ok? I was told Ford does not have a remedy yet and the engineers are working on the truck. Have you had anyother problems?

Old 12-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Dinger04
New User
Hi, first time poster here. I guess I am in the same situatuation, my '04 s Crew has just developed a 50 to 65 MPH whine in the rear end. I really like the truck but I'm affraid after reading several posts I'm beginning to wonder if buying a newly designed ford was one of my smarter moves. I have made an appointment at my dealer ship, explained the problem and they said they have heard nothing about problems with the rear end, except for the 2 or 3 '04 rearends they have replaced.. That confused me after he said that. My truck also has a clunk when taking off when the truck is cold, it usually goes away after a few miles. Has anyone had troubles with the electrics going to the rear lights? I've lost my reverse lights and the fuses are fine...

Old 12-16-2004, 02:03 PM
vaughn1
Freshman User
It's still quiet, but with all repairs I'm still keeping an eye or should I say ear on it. Hopefully that was a permanent fix??????????

On another note I took a ride in a friends 04 screw with the vibration. WOW it rattles change in the cup holders between 40 - 60 MPH. I'm glad I was spared that problem. My whinning rear end seems so trivial after that.....

Old 12-18-2004, 12:14 AM
NedSpivens
New User
I'm hearing nothing but bad news from these trucks. Ford keeps this up and we will only have two domestic builders of trucks. This is there number one product! I can't believe this! By the way my rear power window stopped working today. Go figure!

Old 12-18-2004, 12:19 AM
NedSpivens
New User
Take it back and back and back, Where are you located? Tell that dumb dealership to go to the Ford web board and it is posted. They know about the problems. They are lying to you like most car dealers do. That low cold problem would be your clutch pac shuddering. Yeah! its broke too! Built Ford Tough! This ticks me off cause I'm a ford guy.

Old 12-18-2004, 12:59 AM
rtdolfan
New User
I have a screw FX4 at 10,000 mile with no noise yet.... But I did have a leaking third break light that the dealer said was leaking in alot of the F150's in heavy rain.
Should I worry about the rear end or wait till I hearsomething.

Old 12-18-2004, 01:33 AM
serk_237
Freshman User
I have 23,000 mi on my Lariat Supercrew and it is now in the shop for the second ring and pinion. They are also replacing my front rotors because they have worn so much but that is another topic.

Quick Reply: Truck is in for howl from rear end!