Sponsored by:

How to Mud/Snow/Water proof your rig

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 11:55 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Mud/Snow/Water proof your rig

I thinking today while sittin on the combine trying to stay awake that it would be a great idea for those here with experience in the mud/water/snow to post the tip and tricks that you have used to keep you rig running through those those frame sallowing mud holes, deep water crossings, and them drives to your favorite sleding spot and yet spending no more than what your average person makes in a day.

I'll start it out with protecting the disbutor. As most of know a little bit of water in the distbutor will kill a motor and leave the driver wondering whats going on. Anyway i've found that a roll of duck tape will do the job quite nicely, however many late 70's and 80's Ford full size cars had a rubber boot over the wires and cap. To this day i have not got any water in the distubtor. And for that occasional time water does get in there a small bottle of compressed air can fix that problem instantly.

Another nice little trick i've found is that by taking peices of swather canvas and fillin all those little holes that the factory inner fenders miss, you can save yourself a lot trouble cause this will prevent a lo tof mud/snow/water from entering the engine bay.

So everyone please chime in and post your tips and tricks you've learned over the years and through the trails.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:28 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can also spray WD-40 inside the distributor cap as it displaces water and will keep moisture from killing your engine.

My nightmares have involved getting water in my ignition module (expensive mistake) and down my intake which has resulted in 2 carb rebuilds. Sooooo my advice is to move any electronics you can inside the cab and seal them up good. I toasted a $200 MSD 6AL box by getting water in it.

For the intake here's a thread with some info and advice. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=222995 I'm going with a cowl induction hood scoop and velocity stack to raise my intake out of my engine compartment.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:24 AM
proeliator
Post Fiend
I'm glad you found that thread. I think it covers pretty much everything.

Old 10-05-2004, 02:11 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
All the water/snow/mud proofing in the world can't help you if you don't know what your rig can take, the best thing is to know your limits and what your equipment can actually do. And don't forget your breather lines, PITA to drain and refill if you get some water in your tranny,axels.

Old 10-05-2004, 03:03 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Yeah but 'what your rig can take' is largely based on how it's built, including waterproofing. If you protect vital parts from water you're going to be able to do a lot more with your truck. All it takes is a little moisture in the wrong spot and you can put ANY truck out of comission.

Old 10-05-2004, 03:13 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
breathers

This is one for ivan. or any other blinger...

4wheel & offroad (which is sucks, but it is at least 50% better than four wheeler) had these cool balloon things you mount to your diff's vent hole. They looked like bellows, but they were waterproof and would expand and contract when your diff heats/cools.

It actually sounds a lot better than running them into your cab..

btw, pro do you know who my avatar is now?

Old 10-05-2004, 03:32 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
So is that to say they moutn directly on your axle and you don't need to run a line up to keep it above water?

Old 10-05-2004, 05:56 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
thats what they do, and they are only about 4 or 5" talls as well.

One thing that i would like to know is that all the mud bogs i've been to i've seen one or two people spray their trucks with what seems like diseal, I know they use it to make cleaning easier, but any idea what they use.

I've also found that ziplock bags help keep the ignition module pretty dry.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:21 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
I took my uncles old 92 F150 stock 2wd through water over the headlights, never had an issue with it, ecxept for when the water became too swift for the truck and we floated 20 yards down stream before gaining traction on the opposite bank.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
Spray everything with baby oil for quick clean up when done playing in the mud.

Old 10-05-2004, 07:16 PM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ivanribic
So is that to say they moutn directly on your axle and you don't need to run a line up to keep it above water?
They look like a shock boot, but enclosed on the end.

Old 10-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
They look like a shock boot, but enclosed on the end.
Can you remember the brand name?

Old 10-05-2004, 07:57 PM
wizzard351
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad you only had to build a couple carbs i had a79 150 for awhile after the water and mud come over the hood and filled the cab up to the dash we got it out and drained 5 gallons of goo out of the pan finish the day out with13qts of oil and retired it morrel of the story dont go in stuff that ya cant and keep air intake hi

Old 10-05-2004, 11:38 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
As for the intake, i will be making a 90 degree elbow (or just buy a complete one from a pipe store) and after drilling a hole in the firewall , i will move the intake into the cab and up the inside of the winshield and will use a coneical K&N filter, this way i'll drown before the truck does. Cost without the filter, probably something like 20 bucks.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:59 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bremen242
btw, pro do you know who my avatar is now?
Naturally, I know everything

General Chang........"Revenge is a dish best served cold". One of my favorite movie quotes, as I have learned it to be true.

I've seen the accordian boots before and thought they were pretty cool. Makes perfect sense. I'll have to see if I can find out who makes them.

Quick Reply: How to Mud/Snow/Water proof your rig