1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Parts Is Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 03:29 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts Is Parts

Well, it's beginning to look like a truck again.

I've had parts everywhere, on shelves, in the garage, in the barn, in the yard, in boxes, in buckets, and on the floor.

I took off the month of September from my day job to get this project moving along better. I wanted to get it back under its own power in order to move it around before cold weather. I'll probably have to store it in the barn, because it's too tall now to fit in the garage.

I've updated my gallery. Check it out and let me know if it was worth the effort.

I have new HID headlights and new stainless parking lights to go in the front. There are 1 piece door windows and rubber seals everywhere to install.

Yes, I know purple, burgundy, and yellow are a bit bold, I just hope it doesn't look like a carnival truck. Maybe chrome wheels later.

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH

Old 09-25-2004, 03:59 AM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to your gallery to see your truck. I think it is awesome! I can very much appreciate the long hours of work you have doubtlessly put into the truck to date.
I surely hope you enjoy the truck when it is completed!

Obviously, the 53-56 F Series are a lot of people's favorites. I have always wanted both a 49 and a 51. I would like to convert the 51 to a 4X4...with an endless list of parts that is parts (LOL!)

Yes, the color scheme is a bit bold. Of course that is only MY opinion and that doesn't really count a great deal. Even so, I like the individuality you have put into it as well. It is YOUR truck, paint the thing Pepto-Bismol pink with Metallic Gold stripes and Chroma-Lusion fenders if you want!! More power to you!!

Seriously, thank you for sharing it on this thread!

Old 09-25-2004, 07:04 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AmeriKen
Yes, I know purple, burgundy, and yellow are a bit bold, I just hope it doesn't look like a carnival truck. Maybe chrome wheels later.

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH
Ken,

Carnival truck??? What makes you think that? You aren't a Shriner are you? Bold is an understatement! One thing's for sure. You WILL get noticed driving down the street...and when you get ready to move on to another project, I'm sure the Shriners would be interested in your truck! Nice pictures and work...

Vern

Old 09-25-2004, 05:35 PM
F250Rob
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice work getting everything lined up with the new chassis. The wheels look "right" in the fender openings, which is the normal place that folks have trouble doing trucks like yours. I can't imagine how much work that took, so great job!

The first thing I thought about when I saw the paint job was Mardi Gras! That's the color scheme for it...if you can find a place for some green you've got it all covered.

ROB

Old 09-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
I noticed the placement of the wheels and how they did look so "right". That truck looks "right"--which, in MY opinion, is something several people do not obtain, especially when they put an older body on a newer frame. It often looks "out of whack", but that truck (as a whole) looks right.

Old 09-26-2004, 08:14 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a lot of work trying to center the wheels in the wheelwells

LoanRanger:

The chassis was from an '84 dually ambulance. I had to shorten the wheelbase 30"+ to fit the old sheet metal. Also, I wanted a long wheelbase because the plan is to pull a 24' gooseneck trailer with it. I moved the rear fenders backward and centered them over the rear wheels. The factory "tubs" in the bed sides don't exactly match the center of wheels. After getting everything centered, I made the running boards from some scrap that I had out behind the barn.

I'll post later some progression pictures of re-arching the front wheel wells where I had to go from an arch for the original F8, 20" wheels to the F-350 16" wheels. I did a lot of cutting and welding there.

I originally bought the F8 to make a rollback for my tractors, but changed my mind to downsize to a one ton pickup to get more utility out of it and possibly a cruiser.

I would like to find a Gear Vendors overdrive to go behind the C6, but can't find any reasonably priced, I'm too cheap to spend the big dollars. After all the trading around, buying/selling with this truck, I have about a $1000 cash outlay + hundreds of hours of my labor.

Ken McWilliams
Dayton,OH

Old 09-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
Ken. truly, I was quite impressed by the appearance of your truck. I KNOW it took countless hours to do it--and do it right. That was my whole point: the truck looks right!!
I am not only impressed with your efforts, I respect your skill tremendously. I feel you have every right to take pride in your ride!!
In my opinion, which may or may not be valid and which may or may not matter, it is much more difficult to take parts from this and that and from a pile and turn them into a great vehicle than to take a kit and build one.
I really will be glad when you post more pics!