2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have a stalling 2004 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Matt In Detroit
Mountain Pass
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Unhappy Anyone else have a stalling 2004 F-150

Got my first new truck in 10 years, 2004 F-150 extended cab FX4. Three days after delivery it stalls on me as im coasting to a stop. I start it right back up, drive off and wonder what the hell that was all about. A day or so later it does it again while on a long sweeping turn, of course i loose power steering and have to coast off the road, whiteknuckling it the whole way, fires right back up. Day or so later the wife is out running errands and it happens to her. I take it in and the dealer finds no codes so they put a recorder on the truck and tell me to record the events by pushing a button on the recorder so they can figure it out. Well in 4 days i did not get a stall but 2 or 3 bad stumbles as i sat at red lights with it idling, i recorded them but the dealer says they gleaned no useful info from the recordings. The service guy says they have 2 other local trucks doing the same thing. The Ford Engineering hotline is at a loss and tells the dealer to replace the throttle body and re-flash the PCM. They do and tell me its finished, i get the truck back and less than an hour later driving i get a bad stumble and now a day or so later another stall. So apparently i still have an issue. Monday Sept 27th im supposed to take it back in and some high level people (engineers) are supposed to look it over, im looking for some feedback to maybe help them out.

I work in Dearborn for Ford and believe my dealer (Village Ford) is competent and doing all they can along with ford engineering. I really feel dissapointed in this vehicle since its supposed to be our "flagship vehicle" and boy, what a bummer considering i contemplated this purchase for a while and i get a bum unit. Anybody have any similar issues and how did it get remedied?

Old 09-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Dunk
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You gotta wonder how a simple stalling problem can be such a big deal. I guess there's no chance there's a simple idle stop screw and 1/2 a turn in would fix the problem??

What RPM does your truck idle at? Mine idles at 625-650rpms in gear or out...

Old 09-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Matt In Detroit
Mountain Pass
Dunk, dont think i havent considered the stop screw idea. The truck idles at 500 or less, i think its too low. i would think it would be at 600 or better. Im a competent mechanic, the only thing that has kept me from doing that 1/4 turn on the stop screw is that the truck has 600 miles on it, if i wanted to fiddle around under a hood id buy a 65 stang....

You can tell when it stalls though, it just shuts off with a bad shudder, i think if the idle were up higher it wouldnt make a difference. its like turning the key off.

Thanks for your reply...

Old 09-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Lariet 150
New User
check drive to wire sensor

Had my replaced after one minor stall, never happend again.

Old 09-30-2004, 07:25 PM
AKM
New User
Hi Matt.

My FX4's been at Village since Monday when the engineers came to look at all 7 of 'em. A couple of weeks ago, they replaced my mass airflow sensor, thinking that might do the trick. No such luck. Looks like they've found it this time, though. Appartently it's a problem with the trucks built in the last 2 weeks of August. They've got a new PCM on order for me and hopefully I'll have a healthy new truck soon.

Have they fixed yours yet?

Old 09-30-2004, 08:22 PM
BlueFX4Flare
Freshman User
Smile

I had the same problem. Just 2 days ago they installed a new PCM and the problem is now fixed.

It seems the word is getting out to the dealers on the Hotline to replace the PCM.

Not to worry, there is a fix.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:37 PM
bigwtx
Senior User
I had the same problem, dealer replaced the "throttle position sensor." Since then, everything has been great!

Old 10-01-2004, 05:00 AM
Matt In Detroit
Mountain Pass
Thumbs up

AKM yes mine was there monday too. Are you local?

Yes a new PCM is on the way. I chose to go get my truck and drive it instead of letting it sit there. Village said it may take a week to get the PCM. So it looks like that is the fix. If i still have issues after this im going to the Arbitration board for a buyback. But if this does it ill be happy.

Last edited by Matt In Detroit; 10-01-2004 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:45 AM
AKM
New User
Howdy, neighbor!

Yes, Matt, I live not far from Village. I was told that they're working with a rep from Ford to try to get us some renumeration for all this hassle with a new -- and as you said, flagship -- vehicle. As much as I loathe driving a Focus rental car, I figured I'd leave the truck with them in case "being without" figures into the equation. Not to mention, I almost got rearended when it stalled while crossing Ford Rd.

I waited 3 months after ordering it for it to get here so I've developed patience. If this works and it's the truck of my dreams, it'll be worth it. BTW -- mine's a red and gray two-tone flareside FX4. Whats yours?

Old 10-01-2004, 09:09 AM
Matt In Detroit
Mountain Pass
Mines all red with black interior FX4, extended cab styleside. Yea problem was, i am going up north to pull my boat out and needed a truck. I asked them to supply me with a truck and they said no, but i could take mine back for the time being. Im actually suprised they let me take it considering the liability it could pose. Ill just be carefull i guess. I was told the same thing about some sort of reimbursement, im not holding my breath though.

Have a good one, hopefully this will be remedied soon

BTW, mine was built on Sept 7th so the problem vehicles at least go through that build date. Get this, it was built on the 7th, i bought it on the 10th, doesnt get much newer than that. You could actually leave a mark in the paint if you pressed hard enough. The paint wasnt even fully cured.

Last edited by Matt In Detroit; 10-01-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:04 PM
AKM
New User
Hi Matt.

Just got back from Village and Mark says that the PCMs haven't come in yet but that they're not on backorder or anything so it shouldn't be too long.

Have a good time up north.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:18 PM
AKM
New User
Matt,

Did you get your truck fixed yet? I picked mine up yesterday and so far, so good. The new PCM seems to have done the trick.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:07 AM
Matt In Detroit
Mountain Pass
Nobody from Village Ford has called me about it yet. Goin up bow hunting today so if they call me it will have to wait for next week.

Old 10-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Matt In Detroit
Mountain Pass
stalling

New PCM in today, problem seems to be fixed.
truck seems faster/quicker too.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:14 AM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
What plant did your trucks come from?

Quick Reply: Anyone else have a stalling 2004 F-150