1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

getting started - '50 flathead

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 09:00 AM
rickandnancyh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question getting started - '50 flathead

Hello all-

I have a 1950 Ford sedan with a flathead V8. It was running 14 years ago. I am just getting started restoring it to working order. I got hooked the other day when I poured some gas in the carburetor and jump started it. It roared to life and sounded great!

I am almost done with the cooling system (all new hoses/clamps and a new core in the radiator). I have a temporary, gravity fed fuel line from a small tank mounted in the garage fed into carburetor. I put new belts on while the radiator was off and have new oil and a new oil filter.

I may convert the electrical to a 12 volt system in the future, but right now I want to just get it running. I've heard that some people put in an 8 volt battery just for more turning power. Is this possible and or advised?

Any thoughts about this would be helpful. I would appreciate any other tips about where I am in the process as well. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2004, 10:29 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Hi and welcome to FTE. Congrats on bringing the flattie back to life! Nothing sounds sweeter than the rumble of waking one from deep sleep. Enjoy it and don't worry about the silly grin you'll be wearing.

8V is possible but not practical from everything I've read over the past 5 years that I've been online. Batteries aren't cheap, you'll go thru bulbs rapidly and have the hassle of changing them, you'll need an adjustable regulator, etc. There isn't much of a power advantage and you'll need to make most of the changes that you would when going to 12V.

If your 6V system is working - grounds are all in place and connections are tight, etc., it should be just fine. I run 12V on my '48 F1 just for the convenience of added accessories. It is an easy conversion and if you decide you want to upgrade, just go to 12 and avoid the intermediate step.

Also, while we're glad to have you here, these guys are focused on trucks. You might find more help with your sedan at fordbarn.com or billb's msn site for flatheads (link included)

http://groups.msn.com/FordFlathead19...3/general.msnw

Old 09-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Third Coast
Junior User
I run an 8 volt battery in my 50 flathead 6 without making any modifications. It doesn't have many miles on it over the years but I don't recall having any problems becuase of the 8 volt.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going to 8-volt is an old trick for engines that are hard to start. My 6-volt 272 in my Fairlane starts real easy as long as it is tuned correctly. So I vote to stay 6 and see if the engine starts as it should. Good luck, John

Old 09-22-2004, 01:10 PM
rickandnancyh
New User
Thanks for the tips and links.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:27 PM
j gibbs
Senior User
You might check out the flathead forum on this site too.