Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

96 Explorer V8 AWD transfer case questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:53 PM
adwhit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 Explorer V8 AWD transfer case questions

I just purchased a 96 Explorer XLT AWD with 136,000 miles two days ago. Is in perfect shape, with one exception now. Yesterday I was climbing a small grassy hill in reverse, heard a pop then the truck started spinning. The front wheels no longer pull and I suspect the transfer case has died.

This situation begs some questions:
1:Have been running it as 2WD since, is this ok or do I need to pull the computer connector from the case or remove the front driveshaft?
2:Is it possible to put manual hubs on the AWD Explorers to improve gas mileage, or even a switch between the computer and tranfer case to disable it?
3:Where can I find manuals on the BW4404 tranfer case? The last transfer case I worked on was 25 years ago when I had a love of old ****** and Jeep 4WDs. I'm sure much has changed since.

Old 09-11-2004, 11:57 AM
adwhit
New User
Finally had time to put it on jackstands to remove the front driveshaft, found that instead of a bad transfer case the front right axle shaft had slipped partially out of the differential housing. As usual the repair manual I purchased just skims over this unit. Can't figure out what holds the axle shafts in place.

Will this be repairable or do I need to find another axle housing/axle shaft?

Old 09-11-2004, 07:19 PM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would pull the front wheel off and see whats broke/missing.Sounds like you broke a hub or the outer end of the axle.JMO

Old 09-12-2004, 06:32 PM
adwhit
New User
It's an AWD so no hubs, though if possible I'd like to install some for better gas mileage.

The axle shaft pulled out of the differential far enough that the splines no longer meshed. I pulled the wheel off so I could hammer the shaft back in but it didn't hold, just slid back out the first mile it was driven.

Further research has shown there should be a small ring on the end of the shaft that mates with a notch inside the differential. It is recommended to be replaced every time the axle shaft is pulled. To replace this I will have to pull the axle shaft out completely, and that requires the wheel, rotor, brake, ABS sensor etc to be removed.

So much work for such a little problem!

Old 09-15-2004, 06:00 PM
adwhit
New User
Pulled the right front end apart. Found there is a spring clip that slips over the end, and in a groove, of the axle shaft that then mates with another groove in the CV joint assembly. Replaced the clip, put everything back together and drove the truck, CV joint is still pulling out. Starting to wonder if the CV joint assembly is too short, perhaps swapped with the left one?

Old 09-19-2004, 05:36 PM
adwhit
New User
Discovered the left and right CV joint assemblies (they're called 'halfshafts') are completely different critters.

Had no choice but to replace the right halfshaft for troubleshooting purposes, did so but it is still pulling out of the axle. Then noticed the axle had been removed at some point in time and thought it may have been replaced with one that had a shorter extension coming out of the right of the differential. Nope, measured another one and found they were the same.

Am at a complete loss as to what is the problem. The only thing I can do now is shotgun troubleshooting, to replace the axle even though it seems to be ok. It is, after all, the only thing left that could be causing this.

(FYI....don't purchase halfshafts from Ford, they want over $200 for something your can buy elsewhere for $65.)

Old 09-25-2004, 11:01 PM
adwhit
New User
Ok, new update.

Finally decided either the axle was bad or the frame was warped, both was going to be an expensive repair to I decided to convert the truck to 2wd. Researched wheel bearing prices, only $13 so pulled the front driveshaft and both CVJoint assemblies. Big mistake, the right and left bearings lasted about a quarter mile, obviously the outer end of the CVJoint assy actually held the wheelbearings together somehow. Went for new bearings, discovered I had to purchase the entire hub assy which actually cost $170 apiece!!!! Was not a good day.

Replaced the wheel bearings, and since they came with new ABS sensors replaced those as well. The next step was to remove the outer ends from the CVJoint joint assemblies. This proved difficult, I finally pulled the boot back and simply took a hammer to the bearing cage till enough pieces had broken off to remove the 6 large ball bearings. This allowed those ends to be removed, cleaned, then installed through the hubs. With the hub nuts tightened the conversion was complete, now have a 96 AWD 2WD V8 Explorer.

Sealed off the ends of the axle so dust wouldn't get in, or axle grease get out.