1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Telescoping Mirror???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 08:39 AM
rjsledge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Telescoping Mirror???

I ordered my 2005 F350 CC Dually 6.0 and picked it up yesterday, I had ordered the Trailer Towing package and the Camper Package, I was told the Telescoping Mirrors were part of one of the packages. When I got the truck I noticed that it had the power mirrors, my question is, can the dealer replace these with the telescoping mirrors? I have an enclosed car trailer and one of my concerns when I order the new truck was getting the telescoping mirrors as my 99 F350 did not have them. How much would it cost (approximately) to replace them? Thanks

Old 09-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Last time I looked, the TT mirrors were their own separate option. Trailer tow and camper packages have to do with wiring and suspension changes. (Heck, when I ordered my truck, the *hitch* wasn't even part of the trailer tow package!) It should be a direct swap, not sure of the cost. If the dealer told you the mirrors were part of the package, seems like the cost to you should be free, or very low, since it was their mistake.

Duncan

Old 09-04-2004, 10:01 AM
marspec
Senior User
I thought the mirrors just pulled out, even if they are power mirrors.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
I was assuming he meant the stock power mirrors. The telescoping mirrors indeed only have power in the main (flat) glass section, while the convex section and the telescoping action must both be done manually. (A year or two ago someone reported seeing a prototype of a more powered version, not sure if it was power fold or power telescope or both... I bet those will show up on the next big redesign in MY 2007 or so.)

Duncan

Old 09-04-2004, 11:57 AM
rjsledge
New User
Mirrors

Thanks for the imput, I hope its no big deal as far as changing them. The dealer is a personal friend of mine and he sold it to me at a great price.

I got in touch with the GM at the dealer late this morning and he told me no problem. If anybody is in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and is interested in buying a Ford product, Mike Parks just bought the Pilot Point Ford Dealership there, and he is building a brand new faciality on Highway 377, Mike is a great guy and can save you money. His toll free number is 866-474-7240.

Thanks again for the imput. Great site by the way. Thanks RJ Sledge

Old 09-04-2004, 12:23 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
The mirrors are really easy to change. Taking off the door panel is the most difficult. And that is really easy. Mostly they snap on, but there are two screws one behind the power lock/window switch and the other behind the red light/reflector. If you look where the mirror meets the truck the mounting position and location is exactly the same. All the wires are there for easy access.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:25 AM
impy
Freshman User
Mirror swap

Got an 04 F350 CC Lariat with Trailer Tow package with power elephant ear mirrors. Went thru last winter with ice all over those things, made them worthless. Picked up the power, heated, lighted mirrors this week from dealer fully expecting to have to run wires for heat and lights, dealer even confirmed that the wires would not be there (had pulled excellent instructions from other threads in this forum). Was pleasantly suprized to find after pulling the door panels that the connector was already wired for heat and lights, just plugged into the existing harness. Simple 15 min swap to do both sides. Did help to have another pair of hands though, those mirrors are heavy.
Only thing that was tricky was the padding on the back of the new mirrors was a thicker foam material, while the old mirrors had a thinner rubbery pad. After fighting with trying to compress the foam, swapped the padding from the old mirrors. Went in fine after that.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:44 AM
moosekingranch
Junior User
I would have thought that those mirrors would have come with either the tow pkg or the camper pkg too. I just looked at the build sheet for my '05 250 PSD that is on order to make sure that I will have the tow mirrors. The telescoping mirrors show up as item "54K Tele TT mir-pwr" under the King Ranch pkg I ordered. I'm glad I will have those but am surprised that Ford assumes you would order a trailer tow package and not want the tow mirrors. I towed a travel trailer 2 months ago without the extended mirrors and saw a whole lot of the leading edge of that trailer and not much else in my side view mirrors.

Enjoy that 05. Can't wait for mine to show up.

Old 09-09-2004, 03:03 PM
FordInProgress
Senior User
Just make sure they are heated. Impy, I have the some problem with them geting ice on them. Was it easy to put the heated ones on.

Old 09-09-2004, 03:38 PM
impy
Freshman User
FordInProgress

First thing I did before install was to test power mirror, heat (heats on when truck is on), and signals before mounting.

Since that connector had all the connections (which I assume were optioned by having the trailer tow package), it was a piece of cake.

Step1, pull off 2 large rubber plugs in front of sail panel (black piece above door panel on forward edge of door).
Step2, pull off sail panel. Pull staight back towards you. Attached with 2 clips (same as hold the grille in).
Step3, pop off panel with window controls. Pry up in front and pop off. Remove 8mm screw staring you square in the face after you remove this panel.
Step4, remove connectors on panel (don't worry about which goes where, they only fit one connector).
Step5, Remove red reflector on bottom of door (lift up on indent in reflector and pull away). Remove 8mm screw underneath reflector.
Step6, pull door panel straight up.
Step7, Gently peel away vapor barrier starting from top/front to reveal connector for mirrors. Simple unplug and feed cable to mirror back into the door.
Have another pair of hands ready at this point. Their job will be to hold the mirror while you remove the nuts holding it in.
Step8, remove the 4 nuts holding the mirror in (sorry forgot size). 2 were revealed when you pulled the 2 large rubber plugs in step1. The other 2 are under the sail panel under another vapor barrier piece which is about 1in wide and 5in long. Used grease in the socket to ensure I didn't drop the nuts into the door. Pull mirror away.
Follow steps in reverse to mount new ones.

Like I said earlier, took all of 15 mins to do both sides.

If your source connector doesn't have the additional wires you'll need to run those thru the door into the cab and source them.

Old 09-09-2004, 03:48 PM
FordInProgress
Senior User
Thanks I will check it out tonight.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:04 PM
john day hardy
Junior User
telescoping mirror

Has anyone here wondered why Ford installed that convex joke on the TT mirrors? I've had those mirrors on two trucks, on the '99 they weren't adjustable, on my '01 they are but are still useless. On both trucks I installed aftermarket 3" spot mirrors. I've done this on the 8 or 9 trucks I've owned over the years. Seems Ford would have been betteroff to just put a flat mirror on in the first place. Would/might cut a few bucks off also, in the long run that might add up to quite a savings to Ford.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
I have mine adjusted to watch the rear tires on the truck so that I can back it in to parking spaces easier.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:46 PM
john day hardy
Junior User
telescoping mirror

Yeah, I do the same, and use my add on to see beside me, especially on the blind side.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by john day hardy
Has anyone here wondered why Ford installed that convex joke on the TT mirrors? I've had those mirrors on two trucks, on the '99 they weren't adjustable, on my '01 they are but are still useless. On both trucks I installed aftermarket 3" spot mirrors. I've done this on the 8 or 9 trucks I've owned over the years. Seems Ford would have been betteroff to just put a flat mirror on in the first place. Would/might cut a few bucks off also, in the long run that might add up to quite a savings to Ford.
It takes a while to figure out where you want them pointed initially, and then if I haven't driven the truck for a while it takes some getting used to using them again, but man the TT mirrors as delivered are *great*! That wide convex mirror is perfect for eliminating most of the possible blind spots. If you need the ultimate in coverage, I've seen clip-in convex spot mirrors that span the elephant ear arms. With those added on, I don't think there's anywhere you wouldn't be able to see.

WARNING: if you install stick-on mirrors on the glass on the heated mirrors, *NEVER EVER* try to remove them. The mirror glass has a fairly thin front surface with a goopy heating liquid behind it, and you will simply tear the surface and ruin a perfectly good mirror. With heated mirrors, you should definitely opt for something like those clip-on ones instead.

Duncan

Quick Reply: Telescoping Mirror???