Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post antifreeze mystery

Old 12-31-2002, 08:02 AM
rickm5
Senior User
antifreeze mystery

hey guys, i noticed that my radiator fluid level had dropped, so i added some. i checked it again and it had dropped again,so i added some again. this has reoccured for about a week? i don't see any anywhere, don't smell any burning? where could it go? engine not overheating, no loss of power a mystery. any ideas? rick

91 aerostar 4.0 liter 174 thous. mi and going
aka "the green bean"

Old 12-31-2002, 07:49 PM
Comply
New User
antifreeze mystery

I just had the same problem on a 89 Eddie Bauer aerostar with a 3.0, I never could see any water in my oil or leaking out. It lost about half a gallon a day. Then one day the motor just locked up while I was starting it. I would do a pressure check fast and see if a head gasket is leaking.

Old 01-01-2003, 05:40 AM
kenp
Senior User
antifreeze mystery

Hi. Had the exact same symptoms on a '91 4.0 Aero that I had.. would lose about 6 onces a week like clockwork. Could never find any on the ground, and close inspection of the bottom of the van showed nothing.
Put UV dye in the coolant, ran it a week, and then looked underneath with the UV light... the glow practically blinded me! It was EVERYWHERE.
Bottom line was a pin hole leak in the radiator right in front of the fan. Only leaked when the system was heating up and pressurizing... sprayed into the fan, and the fan blew it all over the lower half of the motor... where is quickly evaporated.
Nope, never smelled coolant, which is odd... but, I didn't.
Anyway, if you can't find the leak, try using dye. If you don't want to buy the hardware, just buy an ounce of dye at Pep Boys, etc. Put in the radiator when its cold and drive it for a bit. I'd think almost any shop would charge a minimal fee for looking with their light. Or, go into a Spencer's at the mall, buy a black light bulb, and go for it.
Good luck, KenP
Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2003, 12:03 AM
rickm5
Senior User
antifreeze mystery

i checked my radiator today, and once again i had to add some, since i was off,(and even though it was raining) i pulled the van up to the garage to take a look see,(can't actually get in the garage because of all the kids stuff in it.) i found no leaks, but your post about that small radiator leak you found only under pressure got me thinking, so i put it up on ramps,fired it up and let it run. after a while i found a small drip of green antifreeze on the passenger side front. i finally traced it back to the upper radiator hose.it was ok looking on top, not too easy to see because of the air inlet hose covered it, while running it would bubble out the underside, running down the radiator, and get dispersed all over. i cranked it tight, may replace the hose after the rain is over. i hope that was it!! not sure that leak can account for the volume i've lost, but its a start.. thanks again happy 2003! rick

Old 01-02-2003, 07:29 PM
kenp
Senior User
antifreeze mystery

I suspect you've found it... congrats! Too bad they're not all that easy...
KenP

Old 01-06-2003, 10:14 PM
rickm5
Senior User
antifreeze mystery

bad news, the leak continues. another cold day under the areostar reveals more dribbles at idle from the pasenger side of the radiator, running out the bottom at the support post. must be coming from up inside that radiator side cap, seems to be hard plastic. i priced a new one(radiator) at auto zone. $208. and some change. i think i'll go that route. i was thinking i should replace the water pump while i'm in that far.? any thoughts? i have 173 thousand on this one, and its not everyday that i'll have the access. i'll have to ponder that. also should probably replace the serpintine belt...on it goes.. rick

Old 01-08-2003, 07:29 PM
kenp
Senior User
antifreeze mystery

Hi. Sorry leak wasn't fixed... sounds like your leak is the cheapo crimped end tank connection that Ford uses. Ford claims you can take these apart and replace the flat gasket between the tank section and the radiator center, but I've never had any luck trying to do it. You need a special crimping tool... and the end tank always breaks.
Best solution is to replace the radiator... 200+ dollars seems a tad high, but probably depends on where you live.
By all means change the water pump while you're there... its easy with the fan, belts, hoses, etc all out.
KenP

Old 01-09-2003, 02:45 PM
rickm5
Senior User
antifreeze mystery

ken i've been eyeballing the water pump. think i need a special tool to hold the pulley to remove nut holding it in, then it looks like i'm home free....i was wondering if there are any home grown ideas to hold it? haynes shows a large slender boxend wrench... or i guess i could rent a tool. what i need to get is some warm weather to do this!! thanks rick

Old 01-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Avanti
Elder User
antifreeze mystery

On my Fords 92 F 150, 89 Bronco II & 93 Aerostar I use some channel locks to turn the part where a wrench goes & a long screw driver inserted in such a manner to hold the bolts against the shaft to keep the water pump shaft from turning. Remember the main fan hub unscrews clockwise.

Old 01-09-2003, 06:37 PM
kenp
Senior User
antifreeze mystery

Yup, the fan clutch screws onto the pump shaft with a large nut. There is a special tool (of course) used on many Fords and other cars. One part goes over the bolt heads on the pump pulley while the other grabs the clutch nut.
I've seen this nut so tight (through rust, etc) that no amount of tools or tricks would take it off. If that happens, you have to remove the clutch with the pump. If can be done once the radiator, etc is out of the way.
Most of the time you loosen it in the van but need a pretty firm grip on both pieces to break it loose. This is when you need the special tool.
About 30% of the time, a sharp rap will break it loose without any fuss or special tool. Leave the serp belt attached and tensioned. Put a large adjustable wrench over the nut so the handle is straight up. Rap the handle of the wrench sharply with a hammer so the nut is turned counterclockwise (if its a 4.0, it will be a right hand thread). You may be surprised and it may loosen. Its worth a try.
If that fails, you can borrow the tool at most auto places (like Autozone) if you buy a pump.
Good luck, KenP

Old 01-11-2003, 09:28 PM
rickm5
Senior User
antifreeze mystery

i started working on the van today after work.the radiator is out, alternator is out, fan clutch nut refuses to budge. went and rented the tool, but it seems too big. i guess i'm to try to trap two (or three?) of the pulley nuts with one wrench and turn the nut on the shaft with the other...no can do. according to the box its in one of the possible compinations should work.. i'm soaking it now with pb blaster in hopes it'll want to play tomorrow.....i may have to remove pump and all if i can get to all bolts....bbbbrrrr its cold outside...rick

Old 01-12-2003, 06:12 AM
kenp
Senior User
antifreeze mystery

Rick, bummer... been there, done that! You may have luck soaking the nut; hope so. You can also put some localized heat with a torch on the nut and then remove it... sometimes that will do the trick.
As a next to the last resort, you can drill an 1/8 hole in one of the flats of the nut about 2/3rds of the way away from the pump. The pump shaft only goes about 1/2 way in the nut... after you drill the hole, you can put the tip of your rust "buster" spray or other solvent in there and soak the threads from both ends.
As a last resort, take the whole thing out with the pump. I know it can be done cuz I've done it. At least then you can work on it somewhere warm!
If it still won't come apart, cut the shaft, save the fan, and buy a new pump and clutch (normal replacement parts anyway). Throw the bad parts in the trash can, curse at them for a minute, and then declare victory. You'll feel better.
As a side benefit, if your fan clutch has more than 50K on it (sounds like it does), its weak anyway. A new clutch will make your A/C work a lot better when summer comes.
Let us know how it all comes out.
KenP

Old 01-12-2003, 09:07 AM
rickm5
Senior User
antifreeze mystery

thanks for the ideas ken. after i've had enough coffee i'll be back at it. i draped some plastic over the front of the van attaching it to the garage to keep the wind down last night while crawling around under it. todays high temp will be 25!! rick

Old 01-13-2003, 01:42 AM
rickm5
Senior User
antifreeze mystery

we have met the enemy, and he is ours! i took the whole pump and clutch pulley/fan off as a unit, and spent the day heating and pounding on it. finally i got out the sawzal and cut it in two, saved the fan and belt pulley as you said, replaced the clutch as suggested..i spent lots of time cleaning the engine face to get off the old gasket and get ready to re-install new pump. just finished....i'm within a frog hair of being done, but its late..started forgetting where i put hose clamps etc..besides i'm sure the neighbors want some sleep..need to re-install tranny lines to radiator,clip fan shroad in place, then refill and check for leaks...that may have to wait for tuesday, work all day tomorrow........i'll let ya know how it ends up.bbbbyy for now from alaska..i mean ohio..rick

Quick Reply: antifreeze mystery