Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

'94 exp. Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2000, 03:13 AM
GregR
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 exp. Thermostat

Old 07-10-2000, 01:03 PM
jdken
New User
'94 exp. Thermostat

I've got an overheating engine for no apparant reason. How hard is it to replace the thermostat? How much do they cost? Where is it located? Any alternative recomendations? I've got 76k miles on the vehicle and the radiator was flushed at about 60k.

Old 07-10-2000, 02:24 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'94 exp. Thermostat

First verify the cause of the overheating ...there are many possibilities IE: Water pump failure , fan clutch not engaging , the thermostat not opening , clogged radiator / A/c condensor fins, radiator cap not holding pressure , a leak in the system . If in fact it is the thermostat , its a relatively simple job to replace . First drain enough coolant from the radiator to allow you to remove the thermostat housing ( Gallon or so should be plenty ) Follow the top radiator hose to the engine , thats where the thermostat housing is located . Remove the two housing bolts and pull the housing away , it may take a few easy taps to break it loose so be careful they break easily . Next remove the thermostat , clean the surfaces . Id recommend buying a Ford thermostat ( $5 or so ) along with the rubber O Ring that seals it . The Ford thermostat is designed to screw into the housing , place it in the housing and turn it until it locks . Make sure the jiggle valve is at the upper portion of the housing , it allows air to escape . Next reinstall the two bolts and if you dont have a torque wrench , tighten them carefully alternating back & forth until they are snug . Overtightening will break the housing faster than you can say Hello Ford Parts . Replace the coolant . Any that will not go back in the radiator pour in the coolant overflow tank . Start the engine and check for leaks . Also , an A/c system not functioning properly this time of yr will also cause and engine to run hot .
Paul

Old 10-11-2000, 12:33 AM
andedarr
New User
'94 exp. Thermostat

the main thing i would say is to check for a leak first. then check the belt and make sure it is turning all the pulleys. if alls good follow the top radiator hose to the housing of the thermostat. on my 91 exp. there were three bolts. two top one bottom use a wiggly 1/4 drive extention to get to them the easiest. then pull it out. replace there real cheap. dont for get the o ring. and definatly dont over titghten i did that and striped out the threads on the block and and to rig it so i dont replace the whole block.

Bryan