1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

volare removal isnt totally correct

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 06:39 PM
nixer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
volare removal isnt totally correct

Involves cutting brake lines:
this is correct
disconnecting steering (one bolt):
wrong its 2 bolts
disconnecting the four large bolts holding in the K-member:
the 4 large bolts and both motor mount bolts
removing the driver’s side upper A-arm:
it should have both drivers and pass. upper a arms removed(if this isnt done the thing swings down and hangs on the pass. side of the frame and wedges itself in there)

Old 08-15-2004, 08:36 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The term "Volare Removal" covers a lot of ground. They were made from the mid 70s until 1989. I only removed one upper A-Arm when I removed my 87 suspension and had no trouble with it hanging up on the other side, and I did not cut any brake lines. I pulled the engine separately, so I don't remember much about the motor mount bolts. The bottom line is that "Volare Removal" is a generic term and is just a guideline. Glad you got yours out okay. It's a job isn't it? The salvage yard where I got mine wanted $250 fot it if they pulled it out, but they sold me the entire car for $150. That should be an indication of what a pain the butt it is to pull one of these things...and as I'm sure you have found, they are VERY heavy. The installation will actually be easier than the the removal...trust me.

Vern

Old 08-15-2004, 02:11 PM
nixer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i sure hope it goes in easier than it came out( ive already got 2 smashed fingers and 3 cut ones lol). i was gonna hit an 87 5th ave for it but that one looked worse then an 80 volare, but the drums on the 5th ave look better.