2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 f150 seat comfort

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 08:43 PM
bigbri
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
split bench

Originally Posted by tcparry
Thought the same thing about the seats as compared to my 98.. But, after some breakin time for me and the seats I now think they are better than my 98,s..It just takes some time to get out of old habits or conceptions..I am well satisfied with their comfort now..( Split bench, cloth, power driver)

Do you think the split bench would be better than the captains chairs? I had captains in my 97 It was not bad the console was low and the seats had a flip down arm rest on the middle side. This truck has a huge console that I think is mounted to far forward my right leg hits the edge and is very uncomfortable I am considering moving it back but it will involve some drilling and remounting I was wondering maybe if I could get a center seat like the 40/20/40 if this would bolt in.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:58 PM
greenroses
Senior User
FYI - The power seat also raises and lowers the front or back of the seat indepedently. I had my rig for 6 months before I learned this. Maybe it'll help someone a little.

Old 08-13-2004, 06:34 PM
79REK
Junior User
I've seen several magazine articles comparing the interior of the new F-150 to an Audi which has been the benchmark for automotive interior design for several years. German cars always seem to have more firm seats so I guess Ford emulated the seat design as well. I had a '97 Lariat with the 60/40 split bench and it was the worst seat I've ever owned in any vehicle. It was fine if you were going straight but I had to prop myself up with my elbow on the door or fold down arm rest when going around a curve. The seat bottom was so soft it just caved in when in a curve (felt like I was sitting on a beach ball!!). I made sure I got the captains chairs in my '04 Lariat Supercrew and have been very happy with them so far. They are a little too wide for me and the arm rests are a little too far away but I'm getting used to that. A friend of mine has a new Chevy and it has captains chairs with fold down arm rests which is kind of nice. Would never own a Chevy though!!

Old 08-15-2004, 09:43 AM
SgtFred
Freshman User
Rreading through the thread the consensus seems to be that if you're a big guy (250 - 300 lbs) the seats are great, probably because you fill the seat up properly. I happen to be a smaller guy (170 lbs) and I agree that the seats suck. There is no side bolsters to keep you in place on the seat bottom or the back so my scrawny *** slides all over the place in hard corners. My truck has over 18,000 miles on it so I don't think I am going to get anymore "used" to them than I am right now.

Does anyone know of seat covers that add side bolster support? I've been looking but haven't seen anything.

SgtFred

Old 08-15-2004, 11:09 AM
fatman66
Senior User
Originally Posted by SgtFred
Rreading through the thread the consensus seems to be that if you're a big guy (250 - 300 lbs) the seats are great, probably because you fill the seat up properly. I happen to be a smaller guy (170 lbs) and I agree that the seats suck. There is no side bolsters to keep you in place on the seat bottom or the back so my scrawny *** slides all over the place in hard corners. My truck has over 18,000 miles on it so I don't think I am going to get anymore "used" to them than I am right now.

Does anyone know of seat covers that add side bolster support? I've been looking but haven't seen anything.

SgtFred
wow I never thought of it that way... you could always start eating... I remember that my grandfather used to have some add on pads to keep him from sliding around on the seats of his cadiallac but I'de have no idea where they came from.

Old 08-15-2004, 01:26 PM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the seats are nice i just drove about a thousand miles total in 3 days. and it was better than driveing the mercedes we usually take on trips. if your a smaller guy like i am i always make the back of the seat lower than the front, it might not work if you have really long legs. but that way it feels more like your sitting in it than sitting on top of it. now im wondering if i can add some m3 vader seats to my truck now that would feel great.

Old 08-15-2004, 07:22 PM
dianefai
New User
Yes- It is disappointing

Hi,
New and from Ontario, Canada. Got our new F-150 STX in Blazing Yellow yesterday. I had the biggest complaint about our '97 4X4. Seat too high in front for my short self and I find the new one great for me. BUT my husband who is 250 lbs. but only 5'8 just hates the seat . The steel crossbar in the center of the seat, is cutting off circulation, because of lack of support in rear of lower seat bottom, and very little padding is absolutely no good for him. He is very disappointed that Ford would design something like this. Is there somewhere we can put a complaint in about this. Also getting a little vibration at around 80 to 90 Kms. Maybe tires?
-Look Under Your Seat-

-Diane

Old 08-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Crawler
Junior User
I just got back from a 1000 mile round trip. I have the split-bench cloth seats and found them to be very comfortable. I like the firmer, flater style. My 2000 had that curved split-bench and it made my lower back and neck sore on extended trips.

Old 08-23-2004, 08:50 PM
JS66
Junior User
I have a 04 FX4 super cab with leather power captins seats and I think they are very uncomfortable. I have gotten used to the seat but the seat in my 02 f250 is much more comfortable.

Old 08-24-2004, 06:42 AM
dianefai
New User
Exclamation Update

Our dealer (Blue Star Ford in Simcoe, Ontario)wanted to do everything they could to make us happy so they took the truck back last Wed. sent the seat out to be fixed and balanced the tires. The seat came back better but had too much foam put in the centre (instead of all the way across) on top of a double layer of felt and it felt like you were sitting on a football. Hubby decided to fix it himself. Took out foam cut it in half and put it back in. Didn't work, so then he put a piece of 3/8 plywood in, opened up the felt piece, laid it all the way across, put a small wedge of foam on each side. Now after driving a couple of days it seems to be okay.
I know it seems like a small thing to nit-pic about, but we put a lot of thought into buying a new truck and comfort has to rank important. Our mistake was to not take a longer test drive. Next time we purchase new we will rent one for a day. Other than this we Love the Truck so far.
Interestingly, we have been told that Algonquin Park bought these trucks for in the park and the people complained about them so they were provided with Obusforme cushions. Didn't help, so they got rid of the vehicles!
-Diane

Old 08-24-2004, 09:23 AM
denier
New User
i agree with dunk. just got my lariat last week and the seats have no thigh support. they are flat. i need to simulate by lowering the back part of the seat to the max. hope i get used to them.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:47 AM
makealoop
Freshman User
Feel the same way about thigh support. Asked my salesman if a manual seat could be adjusted (the angle) to help.

His reply...."I checked with the service dept and they said there's
really no way to adjust that portion of the seat without
taking it loose and possibly adding some sort of shim!
Of course they wouldn't do it because of safety concerns?"

Old 08-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Comfy seats..but a bit too wide.

I would have to say that I actually prefer the firmer seats. I have a bad back and soft mooshy seats always make me uncomfortable. I don't like how wide the captains chairs are so far (only had the truck for 800 miles so far) but perhaps in time the seats will mold to my frame. They sure do look nice though!!

Old 08-24-2004, 03:23 PM
YellowSTX
Freshman User
I love the 40-20-40 seat, it looks uncomfortable but is great. I through out my back while away for the weekend. I was dreading the 6 hour drive with a hurting back. The truck was such a nice ride, I think it was better in the truck than sitting in a chair at the house.

J

Old 08-25-2004, 09:26 AM
75Player
Senior User
Originally Posted by dianefai
Our dealer (Blue Star Ford in Simcoe, Ontario)wanted to do everything they could to make us happy so they took the truck back last Wed. sent the seat out to be fixed and balanced the tires. The seat came back better but had too much foam put in the centre (instead of all the way across) on top of a double layer of felt and it felt like you were sitting on a football. Hubby decided to fix it himself. Took out foam cut it in half and put it back in. Didn't work, so then he put a piece of 3/8 plywood in, opened up the felt piece, laid it all the way across, put a small wedge of foam on each side. Now after driving a couple of days it seems to be okay.
I know it seems like a small thing to nit-pic about, but we put a lot of thought into buying a new truck and comfort has to rank important. Our mistake was to not take a longer test drive. Next time we purchase new we will rent one for a day. Other than this we Love the Truck so far.
Interestingly, we have been told that Algonquin Park bought these trucks for in the park and the people complained about them so they were provided with Obusforme cushions. Didn't help, so they got rid of the vehicles!
-Diane
How difficult were the modifications he made to the seats? I absolutely cannot stand the seats in mine, and have thought about trying to add some foam to try and get some more comfort, but was worried about the seat cover fitting back on. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2004 f150 seat comfort