Third Member Removal and Sealing

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 01:01 PM
83Van
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Third Member Removal and Sealing

About to swap gears in my 9 inch rear end and would like to know if anyone has any hints on the easiest, least destructive way of removing the 3rd member?

Last weekend I pulled the 3rd member from a donor vehicle in the boneyard. As expected it was pretty well stuck on, but was amazed at just how much beating and prying I had to do to crack the seal. Lacking a rubber or dead blow hammer to beat on the case, I resorted to a hammer, screwdriver, and probably 45min of beating to pry it off. Took care not to nick up the flange of the 3rd member, but the axle housing did look a bit worse for wear. Now that I'm about to repeat the process on my axle, would like a less brutal method of removal if one exists.

Second question has to do with sealing things back up. There were thin brass or copper washers under the 10 housing nuts. They were pretty much smushed flat and a few came off in pieces. Assuming I'll find the same on my axle and they should be replaced. What material are they and were can I find them? Have not seen them listed in any parts catalog.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:22 PM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
83van,

Carefully prying the third member away is about the only way to do it. As you stated, be careful of the housing surface. It's much softer than the housing. Use a flat pry bar and work it around the whole perimeter of the center section, as opposed to just one spot. You could put a floor jack under the front of the center section and carefully jack it up to crack it loose. Just remember to pull the axles out before you start.

The copper/brass washers should be replaced, but I just reused my mashed ones and have had no problems. You might try taking them to a hardware store and see if they have something to match. Or try a Ford dealer.

As for sealing, get the gasket from a parts store or just use RTV. I nicked up the housing face a little so I used a gasket and RTV and have no leaking problems. I think I took the gasket off the last time and used only RTV.

Hope this helps.

Kevin K.

Old 08-10-2004, 02:27 PM
83Van
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, I'd considered putting a jack under the carrier, but didn't have one available last weekend in the junkyard. I actually wound up using a thin screwdriver to get a start, then a thick one. Will try jacking and see what happens.

Already have a gasket and will use RTV too. Might try a hardware store for the washers as I assume the originals were supposed to serve as some sort of gasket/ lockwasher combo. Scared of the dealer for small nuts and bolts parts, they charge a fortune for incidentals like that.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:41 AM
docholiday72tx
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pulled the third member out of my truck last week. I put a jack under the front and went up very slowly to break it loose. The washers that your talkin about can be had from your local Ford dealership for $5 and some change.