Bronco II Ford Bronco II

88 bronco II lifter noise ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 05:00 PM
anemptycokecan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would I poke and prod at the lifter with a screwdriver or somethign to see if they were loose ?

I've heard so many things, could be fuel injectors, timing chain.. I just odnt know. I just know when I drive down the street people look at me wierd because they can hear this thing comming from mile away.

Old 08-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Monty06
Posting Guru
could be the chain if it has not been changed injectors i would check o-rings on them wouldn't poke around with a screw driver you can check by hand to see which lifters are loose maybe your in for it's one of those day type fixes i had a b2 86 with that problem i found out it was a spilt piston it was ready to come out does it make the sounds only when your driving or everytime

Old 08-07-2004, 05:12 PM
anemptycokecan
Junior User
there is a softer idle tick when its just sitting there, soung like a single tick, not multiple instances.

When I accel you can hear it really loud, multiple ticks going with the rpm. I believe I tried to move the lifters last time I had my v covers off and they were pretty stiff.

It looked very clean in there, the lifters were still a shiny silver color.
I dunno, the single tick "Seems" to be comming from the center of the engine, you can hear it from under the truck too.

Old 08-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Monty06
Posting Guru
how about the oil pump, maybe a sticking exhaust value easy way for you not to take the engine apart go to autozone.com they have a repair site for troubleshooting doesn't cost a thing

Old 08-07-2004, 05:19 PM
anemptycokecan
Junior User
ok, i'll give that a look. thanks

Old 08-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Monty06
Posting Guru
let me know what you find out and hopefully we can get you going without any noise.

Old 08-07-2004, 05:24 PM
anemptycokecan
Junior User
yah .. it says to do pretty much everything i've looked at.
Every looks good.
So I can only assume its poor oil delivery ..
What about cam lobes wearing down though, could that cause it ?

Old 08-07-2004, 05:32 PM
anemptycokecan
Junior User
eh, i'm just gonna buy a cam shaft kit from autozone on payday.
Thanks for the help guys, I really appriciate it.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either worn cam bearings or clogged oil pump screen is the common cause, chamfer the rocker shaft oil holes while you have it apart.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:52 PM
anemptycokecan
Junior User
how would I do that ?
Chamfering that is ..

Old 08-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Dunk
Elder User
Before you do anything take a 3ft piece of 5/8" cooling system hose. One end at your ear and the other on the engine and nail down where the noise is coming from.

After that go to a NAPA or Car Quest and buy 3 cans of Seafoam. Deep Creep is the same thing in a spray can. Pour one bottle of the Seafoam into the crankcase. This will cut any crap/sludge around the lifters. My guess is the ports in the lifters are partly clogged. They are getting enough oil at idle and you only hear 1 or 2 clicking. At higher RPm more of them are partly colapsing and not pumping back up and you hear more of them.

Take the can of Deep Creep, remove your air intake hoses at the engine. While the engine is idling spray the Deep Creep down the intake. The engine will want to stall so keep the idle up just enough to keep her running. Spray 1/2 can in and then release the throttle and droun her out with the DC. Let her sit for 15 min then restart. Get ready for some serious smoke... Thats the carbon burning off the piston tops, the rings and valves. Once she stops smoking do it again the same way. Usually after 3 doses the smoking stops because the carbon is gone.

The Seafoam in the crankcase will take about 100 miles to start working, but it will clean the inside of the engine. Change the oil after 500 miles. I'd run straight 30wt in that engine with a can of Seafoam and change it every 1000 miles the next three times. The engine will be clean inside. If it's still got the valves tapping...then get the wrenches out..

Seafoam has been around for 50 yrs. I had the exact same problem you do with an 88 Bronco with a 351. I used it to decarbon that engine and flush the crankcase. That was at 105k, now it's got 150k on it and it's quiet. I've been using Seafoam to decarbon outboards for 15 years. Their made of Alum and it's never hurt them..

Old 08-08-2004, 04:51 AM
anemptycokecan
Junior User
wow, thanks man, i'll definately give that a shot on payday.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Have you tried adjusting/tightening the rocker arms. From the sounds of it I would say you have the same problems I had with my '90 Bronco II years ago, I believe this would help quite a bit.

Old 08-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You just grind the edge off the hole, similar to counter sinking a wood screw.

I would go more then 1.75 turns on the rockers.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Less_Then_Jess
New User
My name is Jesse
My grandfather gave this nice 88 Bronco II 2.9L V6 To my aunt she left it in her driveway for over 2 years without even trying to run it it is sad but she gave it to my dad which gave it to me and said i can have it if i can get it working and i love this thing because it was my grandfather's and my grandfather passed away but anyway i got the battery charging now everything works but the engine won't turn over i already know it needs gas and some oil but it just makes a clink sound when i try to start it up now i know the engine is siezed and i removed the sparkplugs and i'm gonna put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders tommorow but is there anything i can do to get the engine to break free please help i love this thing

Quick Reply: 88 bronco II lifter noise ?