General Automotive Discussion

Leav it to a Chevy guy, what a piece of junk!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 12:55 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a look at how the 2x4's are attached to the frame and ask yourself what useful purpose they serve (ie, none). They must be there for ornametal reasons as any significant load in the "trailer" that presses on the sides could easily break them and God only knows what else. Trash like that should be police impounded when discovered, it's a public safety hazard.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:08 AM
pipercub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Public safety hazard and an eyesore. If I had junk like that my neighbors would ***** me out of the neighborhood.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:10 AM
pipercub
Senior User
This guy may start wondering why his auction has so many hits. Who in their right mind bidded? I should email them and ask them what they were thinking.

Old 07-27-2004, 03:10 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
More observations regarding quality of construction (and why it's a safety hazard/nuisance/dangerous on any public roadway):

1) No fenders (ie, lots of spray in the rain and illegal in many states)
2) No protection on wiring to stop abrasion from causing a short.
3) Broken lug nut.
4) Lousy weld quality.
5) Pic showing "two spots that need welding" shows that the vertical flanges of the two angles common to trailer frame and tongue need to be added to the "need welding" list. The problem is, they were cut short so they really need to be R&R'ed with correctly fitted members.
6) Pics of tire shows screws common to vertical 2x4 loose. Don't take a corner too fast or that big block you had in back might just roll into a stopped car, pedestrian, etc.

I'm sure there is more. What's really scary is that someone will actually put this thing on the road and possibly think everything is just fine. Personally, if I owned that thing I'd destroy it rather than try to sell it; I would not want to assume personal liability for selling such junk as well as have blood on my hands should (maybe when) it causes someone injury, etc.

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 07-27-2004 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:31 AM
wiseguy
Elder User
He's definitely not too swift. He didn't even block out his license plate on his truck. Never give more personal information than you have to over the net. Obviously, attention to details is not one of his strong suits.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:53 AM
wcmo sae
Senior User
Originally Posted by fellro86
here in Missouri, to get the plate it has to be checked to be sure the lights work, but I imagine they would look it over if it was too bad, and not grant the pass, and again, the trailer is on the road, it has to have a plate.
We bought a HM trailer a few years ago, and we had to take it to an official trailer inspection station (or maybe just a normal car inspection place, not exactly sure) and they checked the overall quality of the trailer (i.e. structural integrity), as well as lights, and even that the VIN was embedded into part of it. Then we took the inspection paper to DOR and we got a title for it.......

You'll never see something like that behind my Ford. With that truck, I only use quality.......

Old 07-27-2004, 09:55 AM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
Hummm...if 2 spots need RE-welding...then how many more will pop up when it's in use

Old 07-27-2004, 11:41 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
I haven't actually gone through the process yet, just was what the license bureau had told me. I figured with the vehicle inspections, we wouldn't get off that easy...

Old 07-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Married a Chevy Guy
Senior User
It would look great behind my husband's Tahoe. Hey it would even make the tahoe look better.

Old 07-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you guys don't like my NEW trailer? Do you think I paid too much?

-Matt

Old 07-27-2004, 05:29 PM
250-1968_campspecial
Senior User
sorry guys i know u hate how that looks but hes usually really good box material
its like 1/4 inch fiber board like stuff

the fiber board is really heavy duty, they make houses floors out of the stuff

i sheet about the size of one of those sides prolly weighs 45-50 pounds
and cost about 20+ dollars
i thought the same when my dad a carpenter pulled up with some fiber board in the back of his truck, are were going to use cardboard for our shed flooring come to find out is fiber board

Old 07-27-2004, 06:13 PM
websthes
Postmaster
at least he has a trailer

once i saw two guys moving a fridge with a honda civic. it didn't fit in the car so they had it on the roof. and no ratchet straps or even any rope so they each had a hand out the window trying to hold onto the damn thing

it's ridiculous what people can get away with while the guys that move our equipment and drive the trucks at work will get stopped and fined for every little thing because the government agents know the companies will pay for it. guys have gotten 100's of dollar tickets for having a little dirt fall off their flatbed when hauling equipment, missing a light, or any little thing.

but somebody's going to load this piece of junk full of appliances and take it down the road at 70-mph, hit a bump and leave it all there in the middle of the highway for the next guy to run into

Old 07-28-2004, 03:17 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Somebody actually bought the thing, for 300 bucks! I'd be embarassed to have anything like that behind one of my vehicles. -TD

Old 07-28-2004, 07:15 AM
vettehauler
Senior User
Gee I dont know there TigerDan, that thing might look darn good behind that
F250 camper package youve got....lol

Old 07-28-2004, 08:42 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh, that was just low...! But one of those plastic Chevies might be right at home haulin' it! Or after an accident with one, all the pieces would just about fit in there! -TD

Quick Reply: Leav it to a Chevy guy, what a piece of junk!