Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2000 Explorer front brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 11:20 AM
ricebike
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for members who have manuals (factory or aftermarket) who will have scanned pages of the front brake pad replacement/ rotor R&R job that my lil brother will tackle in the next weekend.

We did perform brake jobs on other cars before but this is a 1st 4WD, ABS brake system for us & we'd like your help in reading the torque specs & any other info ahead of time.

If you have quick access to those pages, please email them to me directly so I can show my lil brother that it's just as easy of a job as other passenger cars. ricebike(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Thanx in advance!

slightly off topic: www.autozone.com or www.partsamerica.com (advance auto parts) Do those brake pad material differences really matter when most of them carry a lifetime warranty? this is just a daily driver w/ occasional drive from NJ to FL... & I don't mind the labor(that makes me more experienced).

Old 04-20-2002, 12:58 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have air suspension , make sure its power is turned off . The switch for this is located in the rear jack storage area . Other than that just remove the caliper bolts & the brake pads , replace them & lube the caliper slide bolts with some dielectric grease . What Ive found on some aftermarket brake pads is that can cause tons of brake dust & can be noisy , It just depends on the brand .

Old 04-22-2002, 09:56 AM
ricebike
New User

thanx for the quick reply... i guess the other members don't have the specific pages/ scanners to give me a quick lookup.

don't have air suspension...

know how to to do the fronts & to compress the piston slowly into the caliper... ? y use dielectric instead of high-temp wheel bearing grease; is that a better choice?

I'm telling my lil bro to start shopping for a manual; which aftermarket manufacturer is better: chilton's or haynes?

Old 04-22-2002, 03:28 PM
skeg
New User