Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Does the dealer provide alternative timing programs for the ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 07:12 PM
pbates
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Apr-02 AT 08:12 PM (EST)]I have a 2002 Mountaineer with the 4.6L V8. It has the new Bosch sealed computer and can not be chipped with the Superchips, Diablosport or Jet chips. :-X23 These are chips that reprogram the ECM timing response of the engine to be more agressive, and Ford is conservative.

I got from what I consider to a reliable source that the dealer has alternative programs that can be loaded into the ECM for more agressive applications like trailering.

My service writer gave me a lecture when I asked about it. I won't go there.

Have you heard of this? If so, what does it take to talk them in to it?

Old 04-25-2002, 11:21 AM
reberhardt
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't even try going to Ford. They frown on someone making modifications to their PCM for better performance. It shouldn't take too long for a manufacturer to develop something to plug into the OBD-II port on the 2002 Explorer so that you can chose whatever parameters you want loaded. Someone already makes them for earlier V8 Explorers and many other vehicles as well. I think it is Hypertech, but I'm not certain on that though. It runs about $400-$500 but will let you chose which parameters you want to modify instead of a batch that you have no control over.

Robert

Old 04-25-2002, 11:20 PM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts